PDA

View Full Version : Woodies and Wine....... <long>

NoBadMojo
06-01-2004, 06:54 PM
We broke out the wood axes and did an exhibition thing then drank a bunch of wine ;), and I would like to post what happened. I have 3 identical Snauweart fibercomps engraved w. identical weight and balances unstrung of 360grams and 325mm. 2 strung w. vs gut and the 3rd w. what looks to be leona66. these axes havent been restrung since the 80's and the heads i dont think are more than 65sq in. Me and another teaching pro were able to hit surprsingly well with these things on the dirt and the gut performed really well considering. Serves were almost the same as w. modern gear, ground strokes felt good and you had more time to set up. Volleys required more concentration and good technique but you could volley effectively. Returns of serve required alot more focus and werent nearly as effectve as with modern frames. you had to setup properly with these or you would get very little on the ball. if you were forced out of position and didnt have time to weight transfer into the ball you lost the point usually. the points were alot of fun and alot better constructed and you had enough time for passing shots and angles and all kinds of shots. It took alot more energy to do all of this than with the modern frames. Then we had one guy with a modern axe and the other w. the woody and whoever had the modern frame just blew the other guy away from the ground. &lt;i guess that is what happened when Borg first made his comeback> Another teaching pro w. a full western forehand could barely make contact from the fh wing and was playfully laughed off the court. There are many messages in here about the game i think, and everyone can take out of this whatever they wish..or nothing at all ;) it was a lot of fun. i have been doing these every so often for many years. Ed

bcaz
06-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for sharing the story, Ed -- sounds like a lot of fun. I can't relate; even though I'm 50, I came to the game just 5-6 years ago, never played with wood. It seems like your observation about returns is right on the money. That looks like the biggest difference in the game today, making S&amp;V tactics very difficult against power players, especially second serves.

BC

galain
06-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Ed

Just this minute I've sent off a private email to another board member who'd inspired me to suggest this at my local comp. Of course, the beast has now grown legs and the whole thing is promising to be bigger than I could have imagined.

We're going to hold it to coincide with Wimby, play in whites, eat strawberries and cream and drink champagne afterward. I'm looking forward to it.

NoBadMojo
06-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Galain hope you guys have alot of fun with this too. we've worn long white pants and long sleeved white shirts and slicked our hair back for these in the past and have tried diff themes..the wimby one you are planning sounds great except shouldnt you be drinking the Victoria Bitters instead of the champagne? Victoria Bitter and strawberries and creme? that doesnt sound too good. Let us know how it comes off. Ed

gofederer
06-02-2004, 07:31 AM
i feel about the same things when i play with my slazenger demon just for fun every now and then... it's one of the three woodies i bought on **** early this year to recall how they play... it's 395g strung and 335mm balance and fairly warped in the hoop... don't know about the string but feels more solid than expected for an ancient stringjob... guess it would play much more solid if i restrung it with my usual setup, syn gut 15l at 60 lbs...

roundiesee
06-03-2004, 12:28 AM
Ed, thanks for your great post. Really tears at the heartstrings when you think of those bygone days when pros used only wood. I was reading Bud Collins book recently on the history of tennis, and there were all these great pics of Laver, Hoad, Riggs, Perry, etc, all using their wooden sticks. Really a shame that wood has gone. I can remember when I bought my first racket, a Donnay Borg Allwood, and how beautiful it was. Too bad I've given this away, but I can remember what a great feeling one had when hitting the ball with a wooden racket. There's really nothing like it, not even a PS 6.0 85 can compare with a wood racket. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Cheers!

sandro
06-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Nice story Ed. Now, tell us more about the wine... ;-)

NoBadMojo
06-03-2004, 06:44 AM
roundiesee i agree..there is nothing like the feeling of wood..and coupled w. gut, the feel is amazing. like you're playing a different game out there. and the points were so much better. as a sidenote, since the exhibition, my game has bumped up a little. i have been trying to do all the right things you have to do with wood while using my regular tour10mp's. as to the wine Sandro ;) which is very important ;) i have found a couple real values in spanish wines. for red it was condessa de leganza crianza and for white, palacio menade verdejo. both in the $8US range. the white is simple and crisp and was more popular &lt;i think because whites are more refreshing when it is in the mid 90's> vodka and gatorade w. a twist always works too! glad for all that enjoyed the post. best, Ed

David Pavlich
06-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey Ed!

How big was the sweet spot after a couple glasses of the grape?

As our dearly departed Justin Wilson always said, "A day without wine is like a day without sunshine".

David