PDA

View Full Version : Nip / Tuck

Baseline Basher
12-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Anyone seen this show? It's the most twisted, sleazy, engrossing show I have ever seen. Opinions?

snoflewis
12-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Anyone seen this show? It's the most twisted, sleazy, engrossing show I have ever seen. Opinions?

haha...it's pretty jacked up...but i saw dylan walsh (sean mcnamara in the show) where my mom works...it was pretty cool..i didnt get his autograph or anything because im not into that, but yeah...he looks older in real life.. :)

bookem
12-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Only surpassed by The Shield and the great Rescue Me...

Where can I get a Kimber doll?

Yours!05
12-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Only surpassed by The Shield and the great Rescue Me...What good taste you have. ;) What about The Wire?

armand
12-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Nip/Tuck has been my favourite show for a while. Too bad it airs on Saturday night(at least here in Toronto) or else it would surely gain great(er) popularity.
The setting is great, the characters are realistic, I really like it.

TripleB
12-19-2005, 06:46 AM
I saw part of one episode while I was flipping the channels the other night....One of the main characters made a lady put a bag over her head before he would......(well you know).

I knew right then and there that I would never be watching the show again.

However it must appeal to a large number of people...I hear some talk about it at work.

TripleB

tykrum
12-19-2005, 07:27 AM
My roommate was always going into medicine, but he never really knew what kind of a doctor. After watching a few episodes of that show, he knows what he is going to be.

bee
12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Junk pop culture trash. Yuk!

tennisboy87
12-19-2005, 12:01 PM
I like the show. I'm really looking forward to the season finale tomorrow night as that is when The Carver is identified. Anyone have a take on who they think it is?

armand
12-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I saw part of one episode while I was flipping the channels the other night....One of the main characters made a lady put a bag over her head before he would......(well you know).

I knew right then and there that I would never be watching the show again.

However it must appeal to a large number of people...I hear some talk about it at work.

TripleBThere are many layers/levels of character development/regression that you're missing.
Anyway, Nip/Tuck is not one of those happy-go-lucky family shows. It's gritty and bold and in a way that I've not seen before.

Bee: What shows do you like?

Baseline Basher
12-19-2005, 07:08 PM
I like the show. I'm really looking forward to the season finale tomorrow night as that is when The Carver is identified. Anyone have a take on who they think it is?

Definetly Kimber.

TripleB
12-20-2005, 04:13 AM
There are many layers/levels of character development/regression that you're missing.

Bee: What shows do you like?

If they're anything like a woman having to put a bag over her head, I'm glad I'm missing them.

My new favorite show is "Criminal Minds". I also like CSI (although this seasons shows are nowhere as good the past episodes). "My Name is Earl" is pretty good for a no-brainer laugh {although a little too much profanity}. "Numbers" on Friday is excellent - maybe because I'm a Math teacher.

TripleB

armand
12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
If they're anything like a woman having to put a bag over her head, I'm glad I'm missing them.

My new favorite show is "Criminal Minds". I also like CSI (although this seasons shows are nowhere as good the past episodes). "My Name is Earl" is pretty good for a no-brainer laugh {although a little too much profanity}. "Numbers" on Friday is excellent - maybe because I'm a Math teacher.Of course, not all people have the same taste. Different strokes for different folks(I have a semiwestern forehand stroke, BTW. I slay me). So you not liking Nip/Tuck is totally understandable. But liking Criminal Minds is not!I tried to watch an episode. Low production/post production values, derivative story, poor writing and dialogue and acting that is sometimes very bland, and sometimes over the top. If that show lasts, I'll eat my hat.
I haven't seen Numbers but people seem to like who see it. Do you make your students watch it?:rolleyes:

NoBadMojo
12-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Think it will be necessary to put 'Spoiler' in the heading of this thread until people have the chance to discover on their own who the Carver is ;)
I too enjoy this show..it's inventive and really smacks to the dysfunctionality of the spoiled wealthy..it's kind of like watching the Jerry Springer Show but on a far more intelectual level...being part of the TW forum is kinda like the Jerry Springer show as well ..;O

TripleB
12-20-2005, 11:15 AM
So you not liking Nip/Tuck is totally understandable. But liking Criminal Minds is not!I tried to watch an episode. Low production/post production values, derivative story, poor writing and dialogue and acting that is sometimes very bland, and sometimes over the top. If that show lasts, I'll eat my hat.
I haven't seen Numbers but people seem to like who see it. Do you make your students watch it?:rolleyes:

I guess I like criminal minds because it's almost like you're getting a glimpse at a "psychotic" killers mind and what thoughts they think.

No, I don't make my students watch Numbers...some (MOST) of that Math is way beyond me. Now that I've watched the Santa Clause again it's funny to see the main character in Numbers because he plays the head elf in that movie.

TripleB

Baseline Basher
12-20-2005, 04:08 PM
@ TripleB: You're a Math teacher? Excellent. I need a tutor... ;)

I don't think 'Spoiler' is neccessary, because the show doesn't even start for another two hours (my time) and they won't reveal the Carver until the last three seconds of the show, so you still have a good 4-6 hours to make your guess.

I really want to like the Shield, but I just can't get into it. I suppose it's like Nip / Tuck, in that you can't come in during the middle of an episode, or you're like, "WTF?" Something about the camera, too. Like it's too fast, or too 'real'. Most shows seem like they have a layer of gloss after watching The Shield. Also, Michael Chiklis has a big f'in head.

IMO...

snoflewis
12-20-2005, 08:06 PM
can anyone post who the carver really is? im interested to know, as well as cliffs on what happened on the episode?

we cancelled our cable service, so we're stuck w/ our great VCR. lol. the trailer looked really interesting.

Baseline Basher
12-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Ooooh, that finale was tricky. I'm not going to give anything away for those who missed it, but PM me if you want to know what happened.

Season 4 is immenint...

snoflewis
12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Ooooh, that finale was tricky. I'm not going to give anything away for those who missed it, but PM me if you want to know what happened.

Season 4 is immenint...

there's no pm allowed on these boards

tennisboy87
12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
snowflewis,

If you want, I can e-mail you and tell you who The Carver is? Just put your e-mail on here, and I'll get back to you.

atatu
12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I watched the first two seasons, but haven't had time to watch this season. But did catch the final last night, thought it was a bit of a stretch. The thing I really want to know is what the nurse told Julia about the baby...

atatu
12-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Also, what happened to Kimber ? Did the carver do something to her ?

SageOfDeath
12-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Also, what happened to Kimber ? Did the carver do something to her ?
Yea the carver messed her up, undid every surgery she had in the past few years. Yet he also opened up her eyes.

MMkay5
12-21-2005, 06:21 PM
niptuck is the best show out there... its so sick, everything they do is awesome, i idolize dr. christian troy, wealtrhy, bangs mad bithches, successful surgeon, has an unbeliavable hot wife

Newberry
12-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I know some may like it, but IMHO it a "trash" show. I appreciate the talent needed to create it, but I don't know why we need to more shows like this teaching us all the wrong things to value and pursue in life.

Its fine when adults watch it who can put it in perspective, but when younger people watch it, and decide to idolize a figment of some writers imagination, I think its a bit sad to allow that to happen to our youth... we are setting them up for a pretty empty life.

*Stepping off soapbox, and certainly not judging anyone* My $.02!

I'm more of an "Andy Griffith" kind of TV fan :)

frekcles
12-22-2005, 08:24 AM
The season finale left me with a lot of questions. I guess some that will be answered in the next season and some that might not. I'd like to know if the carver will eventually be caught and what happened to the racist dad? But Nip/Tuck and The Shield have been two of my favorite shows lately. Some people like it and some people don't so to each his own.

legolas
12-22-2005, 10:28 AM
i like the show

snoflewis
12-22-2005, 01:13 PM
haha....i got the ending!!

that's so jacked up

SageOfDeath
12-22-2005, 01:22 PM
I know some may like it, but IMHO it a "trash" show. I appreciate the talent needed to create it, but I don't know why we need to more shows like this teaching us all the wrong things to value and pursue in life.

Its fine when adults watch it who can put it in perspective, but when younger people watch it, and decide to idolize a figment of some writers imagination, I think its a bit sad to allow that to happen to our youth... we are setting them up for a pretty empty life.

*Stepping off soapbox, and certainly not judging anyone* My $.02!

I'm more of an "Andy Griffith" kind of TV fan :)

To pursue what? Wrong things to value? The show may or may not be an exageration of our society. Everyone has insecurties about themselves and cares too much about things that truly don't matter. Beauty, cosmetics, make up, clothes, fashion, and in a more extreme case, plastic surgery. Trust me, most people value the wrong things in life, but in a place where everyone judges people by these superficial standards, how can they not? ;) I'm sure you remember high school?

Granted it's probably not like this everywhere, but in every place I've been to it is.

Newberry
12-22-2005, 02:27 PM
To pursue what? Wrong things to value? The show may or may not be an exageration of our society. Everyone has insecurties about themselves and cares too much about things that truly don't matter. Beauty, cosmetics, make up, clothes, fashion, and in a more extreme case, plastic surgery. Trust me, most people value the wrong things in life, but in a place where everyone judges people by these superficial standards, how can they not? ;) I'm sure you remember high school?

Granted it's probably not like this everywhere, but in every place I've been to it is.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers SageofDeath, just my opinion. If if we wern't bombarded by these values maybe we wouldn't have to live in a "place where everyone judges people by these superficial standards" at least not to the degree that we see today.

As a high school teacher, I guess I have sore spot for shows like this that make so many of my students feel "insecure about themselves". Its sad to see the young girls starving themselves, or getting teased because they can't afford the right "cosmetics, make up, clothes" etc...
Its tough to watch so many kids self destruct on drugs, just trying to feel comfortable in their own skin. One of my former students hung herself last year, and another student in our school OD'd on drugs. I have to wonder if they wouldn't still be alive if they had grown up watching more family oriented shows.
I never wanted to get high after watching "Leave it to Beaver" or "Little House on the Prarie"....
Again JMHO.

Baseline Basher
12-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Ah, there is no PMs, is there? Email me with questions, I'll try to help you out.

Will someone explain the storyline on The Shield to me? It looks cool, but I have no idea what's happened so far.

frekcles
12-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Will someone explain the storyline on The Shield to me? It looks cool, but I have no idea what's happened so far.

It's about a corrupt anti-gang detective and his crew. Basically he's a good cop in the sense that he fights crime but he twists situations to benefit himself and/or his crew. He always butts heads with the chief. 2 seasons ago they hijacked a truckload of money from the mafia (Armenian) and are basically trying to cover their tracks. I forgot what last season's storyline is. But I can't wait for the next season to start.:)

Lunk
12-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Basically he's a good cop in the sense that he fights crime but he twists situations to benefit himself and/or his crew.

I think that it is amazing that the writers of the show have been able to make Vick a "likeable" character. (I like him myself.) In the first season, Vick killed a cop who was on his strike team because he believed (or knew) that the cop was a mole to the Lt. who would blow the whistle on some of the illegal activities that Vick and his team were involved in. How they hooked me and other watchers into sympathizing with him over the next seasons is somewhat remarkable. Although, so much happens in some of the story lines, that maybe it is simply a case of misdirection on their part and we just "forgot" about how bad Vick can actually be.

Baseline Basher
12-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds cool. I may have to tune in this season.

SageOfDeath
12-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Not trying to ruffle any feathers SageofDeath, just my opinion. If if we wern't bombarded by these values maybe we wouldn't have to live in a "place where everyone judges people by these superficial standards" at least not to the degree that we see today.

As a high school teacher, I guess I have sore spot for shows like this that make so many of my students feel "insecure about themselves". Its sad to see the young girls starving themselves, or getting teased because they can't afford the right "cosmetics, make up, clothes" etc...
Its tough to watch so many kids self destruct on drugs, just trying to feel comfortable in their own skin. One of my former students hung herself last year, and another student in our school OD'd on drugs. I have to wonder if they wouldn't still be alive if they had grown up watching more family oriented shows.
I never wanted to get high after watching "Leave it to Beaver" or "Little House on the Prarie"....
Again JMHO.

No feathers ruffled. I was just stating that I don't think the impurity of standards are made by shows like nip tuck, rather by negative responses of peers.

armand
06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I have the entire series on my computer(thnx LW!) and I'm going through them slowly. Last night I watched some of Season 2, episode 14 and there was a tennis scene and Joely Richardson can actually play! Anyone know what her tennis background is?

BTW, I reiterate how great this show is. It deals with morals, real life issues, pop culture in deep ways. I think it's the antithesis of a superficial show. It fights superficiality.

travlerajm
06-11-2006, 11:40 PM
I have the entire series on my computer(thnx LW!) and I'm going through them slowly. Last night I watched some of Season 2, episode 14 and there was a tennis scene and Joely Richardson can actually play! Anyone know what her tennis background is?

BTW, I reiterate how great this show is. It deals with morals, real life issues, pop culture in deep ways. I think it's the antithesis of a superficial show. It fights superficiality.

The show tries to gross you out and repulse you in every way they can think of - threesomes, incest, sex with transexuals, juicy gore, body part mutilation, penis-less rapists, you name it. It's disgusting, but just there's something unique about the show that reels you in and keeps you from flipping the channel.