PDA

View Full Version : Over-21 to check-in to a hotel?

Louise_a
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Is it a normal thing in the US to have to be 21 to check into a room (or with someone who is over 21), or is it just the policies of the two I have tried?? It seems a bit stupid because i have a credit-card so all of the liability can be sorted, and i'm only staying one night! :( It's making my travel ararngements very hard!!

spaceman_spiff
12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately, a lot of American hotels are like that. It can also be even more difficult to rent a car. Don't ask me why.

Docalex007
12-19-2005, 04:41 PM
What i'm about to say is extremely unhelpful and will not change anything....

da diddy do do da dum dum dibby do da day hey

...ok, me go sleep now.

tennis-n-sc
12-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Make your reservations online. Age is not an issue. My dog could make a reservation online.

Baseline Basher
12-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Your dog can operate a computer? That's pretty tight...

VGP
12-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Don't clip your dog's nails. That would make it more difficult for him to type.

BreakPoint
12-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately, a lot of American hotels are like that. It can also be even more difficult to rent a car. Don't ask me why.

Yes, I think you have to be over 25 to rent a car.

They don't want wild college kids to be going on joy rides or wrecking their cars.

tennis-n-sc
12-20-2005, 04:12 AM
My dog, Rocky Top, has to use voice command to opoerate the computer. We are now working on getting him to balance his own check book. Our other dog, Casey, is working with him on that. You may suspect that we are die-hard Vol fans who spent the year crying in our beer.

arnz
12-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Its unfortunate that they dont even check my ID anymore, for a hotel, rent a car, or to go into a bar :(

But in dog years I'm less than 6 years old :)

Docalex007
12-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Is it a normal thing in the US to have to be 21 to check into a room (or with someone who is over 21), or is it just the policies of the two I have tried?? It seems a bit stupid because i have a credit-card so all of the liability can be sorted, and i'm only staying one night! :( It's making my travel ararngements very hard!!

Hey, go through this site: http://www5.hrs.de/init.do;jsessionid=9BB5008E8206BC528E6CA04D87D5030 E?activity=initVisit&cid=5-1

You can make reservations no problem: Min age: 18

No credit card needed for the basic reservation. Advanced reservation can be made by providing your credit card info.

I don't know whats up with the whole checking into the hotel thing. Whats the problem there?

tennisislife
12-20-2005, 07:29 AM
yeah..nice dog..can i buy ur dog...save me for all the trouble he click i read...lol..luxury

Jack the Hack
12-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Yes, I think you have to be over 25 to rent a car.

They don't want wild college kids to be going on joy rides or wrecking their cars.

I know the car rental thing is true, or at least it was 10 years ago. In my first job out of college, I flew around the country installing small computer networks and point-of-sale systems. I was 24 at the time, and my company had to secure and back the car reservations everywhere I went. On one trip, my plane was severely late and I arrived in Orlando at about 2:00 AM in the morning. From Orlando, I was supposed to get a car and drive to a small town about 100 miles away to meet with a customer in the morning. However, when I got to the car rental counter, the rep said that she couldn't rent me a car because I wasn't 25. I told her that my company made the reservation and that I had used their rental agency in multiple places throughout the country. Despite this, both she and her manager said that they couldn't find any record of me or my company in their system and would not rent me a car. I spent about 3 hours going to other rental agencies (they were either closed or wouldn't rent to me either) and I was getting really despondant because I was supposed to meet the customer at 8:00 AM (and it was about 5:30 AM at this point, and I hadn't slept yet). Finally, right about that time, I noticed the night manager and her underling from the original car rental company go on a smoke break. There was another employee at the counter that had heard the my whole plight earlier, and she waved me over. She said "I could get in really bad trouble for this, but what they did is not right..." and she promptly assigned me a car!!! (She saved my backside on that one - I arrived to meet the customer at about 15 minutes before I was due - and I wished that I could have written a kudo to her company about her excellent service... but I couldn't because I didn't want her to get in trouble.)

Baseline Basher
12-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Send out that kudo now. (Her boss smokes, she won't remember the incident [ jk smokers ] , but at least that lady will get her props.)

Jack the Hack
12-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Send out that kudo now. (Her boss smokes, she won't remember the incident [ jk smokers ] , but at least that lady will get her props.)

Well, I would... but it happened 10 years ago! However, I doubt that the lady needed the props as she seemed to have a lot more neurons firing in her head compared to her manager and co-worker. She probably runs the whole region for that car rental company by now...

BreakPoint
12-20-2005, 09:32 PM
I know the car rental thing is true, or at least it was 10 years ago. In my first job out of college, I flew around the country installing small computer networks and point-of-sale systems. I was 24 at the time, and my company had to secure and back the car reservations everywhere I went.

Yup, I worked at one company in which a lot of the bosses were young guys right out of college (Believe it or not. It was a small company and the VP was the CEO's nephew ;) ). I heard that when they went on business trips to visit customers out of town, they couldn't rent cars at the airport so they would all cram into a taxi and have the taxi drive around to each customer's office and asked the driver to wait for them while they had their sales meetings inside. Yup, salesmen that come calling via taxi way out in the burbs. It must have been a funny sight for the customers to see and must have cost them a fortune.

croatian sensation
12-21-2005, 02:40 AM
Oh gosh am I the only sick mind here who didn't think of travelling problems at first when saw the topic of this thread ;-) !?

Docalex007
12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh gosh am I the only sick mind here who didn't think of travelling problems at first when saw the topic of this thread ;-) !?

My my croatian sensation. Your inner stability has revealed itself to me. You are now on my buddy list. lol.