PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Tchocky
12-20-2005, 07:34 AM
I just downloaded this program this morning. I can see all the tennis courts in my area and whether or not they are being used.

tennisislife
12-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Tchocky google earth is kinda useless...it is inactive..

theace21
12-20-2005, 08:02 AM
It is kinda fun to play around with - I used it to check out all the private tennis courts around where I live.

legolas
12-20-2005, 09:53 AM
lol, ima try it

Prince_of_Tennis
12-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I just downloaded this program this morning. I can see all the tennis courts in my area and whether or not they are being used.
Not really being used lol. Its an old picture from about 4 years ago. But you can find the tennis courts around you.

armand
12-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Not really being used lol. Its an old picture from about 4 years ago. But you can find the tennis courts around you.Man, there has got to be a better way of finding tennis courts than looking at orbital photos from publicly subsidized but privately owned spy satellites
Think I'll lean as far as I can out of my balcony and yell 'tennis anyone?' at the top of my vocal range and see what happens

sdslyout
12-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I like it, even if it's 4 or more years old. the subscription mode is real time.
every inch of this ball we all ride on can be seen. people who don't know about google earth and see it for the first time, trip out.

D-man
12-20-2005, 07:10 PM
the subscription mode is real time.
every inch of this ball we all ride on can be seen

both of these statements are false

Klippy
12-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I played around with the program too. It's pretty neat.

rilokiley
12-21-2005, 12:58 AM
both of these statements are false
D-man is right.

More info on: http://earth.google.com/

Maybe you mis-read something? "real 3D satellite images" isn't the same as real time. I mean I don't have the money to buy Google Earth Pro but I highly highly highly doubt that you can view everything real time from a satellite for just $400.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I really wish I were.

raftermania
12-21-2005, 01:03 AM
I didn't get to watch this year's roland garros finals on tv, so I went on google earth and watched the match from there. They were "astronomical" seats!

rilokiley
12-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Haha, that's one thing I'd do for sure if Google Earth was real time. ...well...maybe...umm...hmm...no. I'd be zooming in on a Victoria's Secret store. DAMN, did sdslyout say every inch?!?!

sdslyout
12-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Okay, so the sea floors may not be maped but if it's a solid object( like land )
no matter how remote it shows up. Antartic, even Easter island(not gilligans island) the huge rock carvings can be seen along with thier shadows, i've seen aircraft flying, not in motion though. It's good enough for free.IMO.

The only thing i would pay $400.00 for would be a current view of the globe.
the differance between free and $$$$$

Docalex007
12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
I like it, even if it's 4 or more years old. the subscription mode is real time.
every inch of this ball we all ride on can be seen. people who don't know about google earth and see it for the first time, trip out.

Are you an idiot? .... or just uneducated? Or what about a liar?
No, jk man, I had to comment because uh, because, well....I just had to you know.

I use Google Earth for just about everything requiring a geographical/physical map. It's great for measuring distances and getting an aerial perspective of your immediate area. Its also fun to follow roads that you know and discovering tops of buildings you recognize.

Real time satellite imaging, especially for mass civilian use, is such a logistical nightmare its not even funny. The second biggest problem would be one of money. Where will the money come from to blast off several +$1 billion satellites with technology that hasen't been invented yet. Not to mention circa 50% of the world is covered with clouding at any given moment (Especially at the Equator). Though this could be solved by using extra-visible or infra-visible wavelength detection equipment. I am so excited for the future! I have high hopes in our abilities as humans....though politicians will always impede our motion forward.

sdslyout
12-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Der smell dis butt. i don't care if it's 3D, 2D, 22D images. I bet using google earth (free version) you can find everywhere you have lived, on earth. and find and see the dwelling's roof top. you like to think you sound smart but heads up,,,satilites are already in orbit, there is so much crap orbiting the earth with every type of optic known at this time. What would make you think that joe-bob
public couldn't use such a satilite. Pretty much up till lately all satilites are either
military or corperate communacations. these days of privite citizens going into space would mean ??? we get to use what joe-bob public dreamed of 10 years ago today. okay it may not be 'real time' but it's close enough. and it's about time you and i have the chance to use some of that stuff up there to see down here. and if you don't think 'real time' satilites are up there, watching. 24/7
then now maybe you will. Look, you don't like my opinion, oh well. that doesn't give you any right to go and call people names. i'm not calling you any names and i'm no better then you, control thy self.

POGO
12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Not really being used lol. Its an old picture from about 4 years ago. But you can find the tennis courts around you.
I disagree. My neighbor extended his house over the summer, and the construction was pictured in google earth one month ago. I think the pics are pretty current and accurate.

D-man
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
About how recent the pictures are, they are not all the same age, people, realize that. Some are newer, especially major cities.

About how detailed Google earth is in remote parts of the world, the majority of remote parts are very fuzzy, it's just the fact.

Docalex007
12-22-2005, 04:04 PM
I bet using google earth (free version) you can find everywhere you have lived, on earth. and find and see the dwelling's roof top.

Wrong. Sorry for the name calling, but you seem to be ignorant of certain facts of life. Thats just a wrong statement.

you like to think you sound smart but heads up,,,satilites are already in orbit, there is so much crap orbiting the earth with every type of optic known at this time.

You could be the next Feynman. Jeez.

What would make you think that joe-bob
public couldn't use such a satilite. Pretty much up till lately all satilites are either military or corperate communacations.

The "public" is using these satellites each and everyday. Whats your point? And no, your second sentence is wrong again. What about the 24 GPS satellites we have in mid level orbit? Its no longer exclusively military nor is it used for corporate communication. Think on your toes.

and if you don't think 'real time' satilites are up there, watching. 24/7
then now maybe you will.

No, I don't. Your really unaware of life I think.

Look, you don't like my opinion, oh well. that doesn't give you any right to go and call people names. i'm not calling you any names and i'm no better then you, control thy self.

I would try and control myself but your ignorance of basic satellite knowledge is stunning. You seem to have grammar problems as well. I think the two can be interrelated - what do you think?

sdslyout
12-22-2005, 05:47 PM
It's cool , man. You mean to tell me that you can't find 'any' of the dwellings
(home,apartment buildings) that you have lived in ??? I can find every roof top
of every place i've lived at. that statement has zero wrong with it.
I'm an engineer so i'm smart enough and who cares about the grammer. It all has something to do with growing up in the 60's. and my point is... Google earth is cool and free to me, joe-bob public. Your okay with me, man.

Docalex007
12-23-2005, 04:49 AM
It's cool , man. You mean to tell me that you can't find 'any' of the dwellings
(home,apartment buildings) that you have lived in ??? I can find every roof top
of every place i've lived at. that statement has zero wrong with it.
I'm an engineer so i'm smart enough and who cares about the grammer. It all has something to do with growing up in the 60's. and my point is... Google earth is cool and free to me, joe-bob public. Your okay with me, man.

No, that statement is wrong like I said. Your ok in my book, I have no problems with you. Just let me clarify why it is wrong.

I live outside a large city in a dorf called Biersdorf. Is this on earth? Yes. Can I see my rooftop of this house on Google Earth? No.

I don't know if you have Google Earth or not. But why don't you try looking "outside" of the United States of America!! There you will find that you cannot....I repeat....cannot see the rooftops of houses....only in certain heavy populated cities...but that only accounts for a very small percentage of total earth surface area.

I am curious....do you even have it downloaded on your computer? I sure do, I know what i'm talking about.

No problems though, I have nothing against you man....enjoy the holidays.

sdslyout
12-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Okay,So it's either blury or to dark. Your right. But i can find things like the panama cannal, the locks, the ships and see aircrafts, statues/shadows. how is your video setup on your computer ? directX or openGL ?