PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between Dunlop 200G and Volkl Tour 10.

matchpoints
02-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I hit better serves and forehands with the Volkl Tour 10 Mid.
I don't have to use a lot of strength to hit big serves. The racquet speed does the work. On forehands, I can hit big loopy shots resulting in heavy topspin shots. I can swing big with this.

I hit better volleys and touch shots with the Dunlop 200G. I can feel and control the ball more with this stick. I'm confident in hitting drop volleys with this. I feel that this stick can use a little bit more weight around throat area. (it pockets the ball more after stuffing a tennis ball in the throat)

I tend to rely on my serves and forehands in a match. My weakness is the net game. I do serve and volley half the serves.

I like 18x20 pattern and 95 or smaller head in a thin flat beam.

Opinions please.

kreative
02-27-2004, 03:44 PM
which 200G are you referring to? the hotmelt version?

also, were both strung w/ the same string @ same tension?

details like that could be a possible factor in your differences between the 2.

roundiesee
02-27-2004, 03:58 PM
I would go with the 200G if you feel this has more control and feel. But seriously both are really good sticks so even if you decide on the Volkl, it'll be OK.

ohplease
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
I recently switched from the MW200G to the Volkl Tour 10 mid. My comparison might not be quite what you're looking for as 1) my dunlops were pretty much dead and 2) you might be talking about the hot melt version.

Anyway: the rackets are very, very similar to one another. The volkl flexes near the handle, the dunlop more in the shoulders (the famed "cupping" effect). Serves and groundies were better with the dunlop, and it seemed to give a "heavier" ball, in general. The volkl was significantly better at net. Additionally, the more open pattern on the volkl made spin easier, and I also think the pattern combined with the stiffer head make the stringbed more lively, and a more forgiving frame, in general. The volkl also felt a little "cleaner." The dunlop head shape feels a little like an oversize through the shoulders, as if there was some wobble or slop in that area, at least in comparison to the more slender, and stiffer in the head, volkl. The volkl's beam is also aero, so it's a bit more nimble and cuts through the air a little more gracefully, while the dunlop has that traditional, box beam feel.

All that said, these are just the random observations of a picky gearhead. I think if you like one, you'll be able to play just fine with the other. But as always, demo, demo, demo.

If it helps any, like you, I'm better at baseline than at net, and I've found the volkl's forgivness and nimbleness to help with the volley. I also thought my dunlops went dead more quickly than other frames I've owned.

You might also want to try the new V-Engine Tour 10, if only because the old Tour 10 looks like it's being closed out.

matchpoints
02-27-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm referring to the Hot Melt one. The yellow stick.

I demoed a bunch of player sticks and settled on those 2.

The Head rectangalish grips turn me off. Otherwise, they make fine sticks (the older ones).

Both racquets were strung with same string and tension. Same grip size also.

ohplease, I believe they both have the same pattern no? they're both 16x18. I'm not sure what you mean by the Volkl being more open pattern. The Volkl's aerodynamics are definitely better. It flies. The Dunlop was more maneuverable at the net for me. It's probably due to the lighter weight.

Is the Dunlop a stiffer stick? It seems to be crispier while the Volkl seems to flex more and carry the ball longer.

I'm going to Demo the new Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine next week. It's thinner and has different specs then the original Tour 10 mid. The local shop stopped carrying the Dunlops so I can't do a side by side. Last time I demoed those 2 sticks were like a year ago, and I'm just going by what I remembered ;)

The Volkl's are so darned expensive and the reps won't even give deals on the discontinued sticks :x

Whereas the Dunlop rep seems to like to give everyone poor like me a break. But, price won't be the deciding factor. There's always been a match where we'd pay $500 for a stick that could have given us the little edge to win.

Kirko
02-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Sound like the Volkl is the winner. In yr.situation.

ohplease
03-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Both have 18x20 patterns, but the volkl still has more spacing.

I don't know anything about the Hot Melt 200g, but it sounds as if the two frames are close enough that they deserve a side-by-side demo.

edge
03-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Maybe you should demo the Tour 10 V-engine as I think the 10 Mid is discontinued.