PDA

View Full Version : new USTA ranking out ....

DXS
12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
I tried to sign up for a tournament in January and noticed that I have been moved up. Has anyone got their notice or anything about being moved up yet?

David

atatu
12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
They don't send you a notice, they just post the rating on the web. Check you sectional website for a full listing.

Jack the Hack
12-21-2005, 02:47 PM
They don't send you a notice, they just post the rating on the web. Check you sectional website for a full listing.

The only exception to this is if you get disqualified during a USTA league season under the 3 strikes policy. In that case, the USTA will contact you to tell you that you have been disqualified for being "clearly over level" in 3 USTA league matches (according to the national computer) and move you to the next NTRP level.

Otherwise, the process is exactly as atatu mentioned.

goober
12-21-2005, 03:31 PM
The system doesn't make any sense to me. A lot of players at the club I play at were discussing it. One guy was undefeated in 10 USTA tournaments and like 10-1 in the USTA league single matches at the 4.0 level and he did not get moved up. This other guy played like 2 tournaments and a year of league matches. He lost in first and second rounds of the two tournaments and had maybe a 50-60% winning percent in the league and he got bumped to 4.0 from 3.5.

Barricade_steve
12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
may be its because it easier to go up from lower levels than moving up in higher levels.

tennisadict
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
yap usta just fool of s##t

tennis-n-sc
12-22-2005, 03:36 AM
It is important to understand what the exact rating was, not 3.5. Could have been 3.2323, or something. Then it matters who you play and if they can be traced back to bench marked players. Beating 3.5's who can't beat anyone does more harm than playing and losing to a benchmarked player if you are competetive. A self rated player would have farther to go to bumped up than a typical computer rated player with a couple of years of competitive play behind him. It is not a bad system over time, but can seem flawed in the early stages.