PDA

View Full Version : Durability and Cheap?

ktwtennis
02-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Could someone help me find a durable and cheap string? I'm looking at spending less than 9-10 dollars, and I really want something durable. I'm breaking my Gamma TNT2 16g every 2-4 weeks right now, and it's very frustrating.

I would really appreciate it!!

Jerry Seinfeld
02-28-2004, 07:19 AM
I am going to assume you are breaking your main strings. If this is the case I would consider an inexpensive hybrid. You will of course sacrifice some some playability for durability which is always the trade off. One of my favorite hybrids on the cheap is TopSpin Poly Polar Mains and Gosen OG Micro mains. The cost would be well within your price range and the durability would be there for you. It is a fairly soft playing poly, as far as polys go. For extra playability you could throw in a softer playing cross, like an Alpha Gut 2000 16 without breaking the bank.

If you aren't willing to trade the playability, I would also suggest giving the LF Phenom 16ga a whirl. It's a little pricier than the TNT, but it will outperform and outlast that string by a mile. The durability of the Phenom 16 has surprised me. Just a little thinking "outside of the box" for you.

Good luck!

kreative
02-28-2004, 06:58 PM
i agree w/ jerry. topspin poly polar/gosen or alpha gut 2000 hybrid plays nice, or tnt2 crosses. for durability you could try a poly in the mains w/ the same strings in the crosses.

i think babolat powergy and laserfibre supreme have better durability as well.

postal
03-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Jerry is dead on. If you do not want to make your own hybrid, I would recommend the Klip Blast. It is a polyester and synthetic gut hybrid. The cost is very affordable and the string will last you alot longer than the TNT.

Big D
03-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Or add string savers. Hybriding is a good idea but if you really like TNT, hybrid by changing the mains to Gosen og micro. Most of the playability comes from the mains so you'll retain the playability while lowering costs.

ktwtennis
03-04-2004, 04:38 AM
What about this string?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-GSGWR15L.html

louis netman
03-04-2004, 10:52 PM
try gosen polylon mains, gosen micro crosses, both at 29 bucks per 660 reel...there is no cheaper, more durable, more value oriented combination, period....

corncob3466
03-05-2004, 07:27 PM
gosen proform is really good for like $2.00. plays well and is durable.

ktwtennis
03-06-2004, 06:49 PM
I don't string my own racket, so I really can't "make" my own combination...

WYK
03-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Try Gosen super sheep micro strung about 5% less than you string your TNT 2. It is not as powerful, but is a pretty good sub for how cheap it is.

WYK