PDA

View Full Version : 1st Adult size racquet for junior girl. Ideas?

Gus
06-02-2004, 11:41 AM
10 year old daughter has won a couple of small satellites in SoCal and just moved up to her first adult racquet. Bought a Head iS2 mid from TW after demo (great price and hit it well) back in Feb. but racquet has already developed butt cap problems and weird handle vibrations. I'm sure warranty will cover it, but does anyone have other recommendations to try out? What about midplus v. oversize for juniors? Your ideas appreciated.

predrag
06-02-2004, 11:52 AM
10 year old daughter has won a couple of small satellites in SoCal and just moved up to her first adult racquet. Bought a Head iS2 mid from TW after demo (great price and hit it well) back in Feb. but racquet has already developed butt cap problems and weird handle vibrations. I'm sure warranty will cover it, but does anyone have other recommendations to try out? What about midplus v. oversize for juniors? Your ideas appreciated.

How tall is she?
My 10 year old is really tall and strong. I have him playing with Ti. Radical MP since he was 8 1/2 .
MP is better for control. But I want my kids to learn to hit out, no pushing stuff.
OS is good because it has bigger sweetspot and more power.

Also, my younger son, 7 1/2 uses older brother's racquets.
He is also very tall and very strong for his age, so he swings pretty solid.

I would say that it depends on a kid.
Back in the old times everybody was swinging 13 and 14 ounce racquets, with 65 sq.in. head size.

Regards, Predrag

Regards, Predrag

Feņa14
06-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Well I started playing when I was 5 and I used an old Donnay racket which was light and 25 inches long.

When I was 6 a Man gave me a Prince Original Graphite Oversize, and I am so glad he did as it enabled me to develop my strokes and get used a full adult length and weighted racket from an early age.

I think you should be looking for a racket head size that she is comfortable with. If she has won tournaments then a midplus might be a good size. I also think that a heavyish racket would be good as it will help her in the long run.

A POG might be a bit demanding. I would see how she gets on with a Wilson surge 5.1 as it is the best "tweener" racket imo.

It has a midplus head and a good blend of everything (power, spin, serves). The weight is in the middle aswell. The price is also very reasonable if that is a factor.

Hope this helps!

And see how she gets on with a demo of it.

Good luck!

-Liam

ragnaROK
06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
My old man started me off with a wood racket, which was torture for awhile. Much to his dismay I did not come out a child prodigy haha.

I'm not recommending a woodie but something like a POG (Prince Original Graphite) would work. I know a few serious parents are starting their children off with that so full-bodied strokes can be developed.

But you probably want something like a good solid tweener racket for your daughter. Ones that come to mind are the Wilson Surges Liam recommended, Head Ti Radicals, and the Dunlop 300G.

As for head size, it really depends on what she feels comfortable with. It sounds like she's doing quite well in tournaments so a midsize could develop long strokes, better hand eye coordination, and control in the long run. But oversize would work as well.

Just let your daughter demo a few and see what she feels comfortable with.

sportsfan10
06-02-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm a fan of the Volkl Tour 6 as the first adult racquet for a junior player. Not too heavy and has a nice mix of power and control in a midplus head size. Has the added advantage of an terchangeable pallet handle system so that the grip size can be changed and the child grows. Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Steve Huff
06-02-2004, 07:18 PM
My son uses a prince bandit MP. It's standard length and MP headsize, plus they're cheap now, sealed the deal. They also got good write-ups by TW staff when they were new.

hofertennis
06-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Never mind the brand! Many adult racquets are light enough for a 10 year old girl. I would recommend a head heavy frame. It would light enough to swing but the added weight in the head will provide more power & depth. Midsize is my choice also to help groove proper strokes. Make sure the grip size is small like a 4 1/8 or 4 1/4.

ucd_ace
06-03-2004, 12:54 AM
I would recommend a Babolat Pure Drive. I had a friend (a girl) switch from a Head iS racquets to it and she loves it. It provides good power and has a generous sweet spot. It's really a nice racquet for anyone but it's light weight makes very popular among young players and girls in this area. I trust that this racquet will fit her well, but you should probably try demoing some racquets to get a good idea of what she wants. I consider the Dunlop 300g the next best tweener racquet and it might be worth a shot, but I think the Pure Drive is the best way to go.

hofertennis - makes a good point, I know some girls that also like to play with head heavy racquets (not necessarily head heavy, but at least to closer to an even balance than most racquets) as well to help them generate power. I know a player who loves her Prince AirLaunch and she's told me that Prince AirDrive is becoming very popular at her club.

Gus
06-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I should say that I used TW racquet finder program to help find the is2, but the program required input and honestly some of the items I really didn't know anything about. She tried out some Prince's (scream, air launch, air drive), and a couple of wilsons (surge, torch) and liked the is2 and the torch the best. Truthfully though, there was really no rhime or reason regarding OS or Mid, head light or head heavy. Interestingly, she preferred the lowest price racquets (she wasn't aware of the prices on any) which makes me suspicious of spending big bucks for a ten year old (I see lots of kids with a couple of babolats in their bags). Anyway, we'll keep trying some stuff, in the mean time, she hits the is2 well, I was just disappointed with the quality of the product.

perfmode
06-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Well I started playing when I was 5 and I used an old Donnay racket which was light and 25 inches long.

When I was 6 a Man gave me a Prince Original Graphite Oversize, and I am so glad he did as it enabled me to develop my strokes and get used a full adult length and weighted racket from an early age.

I think you should be looking for a racket head size that she is comfortable with. If she has won tournaments then a midplus might be a good size. I also think that a heavyish racket would be good as it will help her in the long run.

A POG might be a bit demanding. I would see how she gets on with a Wilson surge 5.1 as it is the best "tweener" racket imo.

It has a midplus head and a good blend of everything (power, spin, serves). The weight is in the middle aswell. The price is also very reasonable if that is a factor.

Hope this helps!

And see how she gets on with a demo of it.

Good luck!

-Liam

Wow, you are pretty stupid. A 10 year old girl can't go from a Head iS2 to a POG.

Andy Zarzuela
06-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Personally I'd recommend a Yonex MP-2i, OR Yonex RDX 300 103", OR even a Babolat Pure Drive (either model)

The MP-2i may inspire her to be the next Anna Kournikova. This may truly keep her interested in the game if she knows she is playing with Anna's racquet (if whe is a fan of course). Not to mention there is ALOT of Pro Teens (Girls) playing with this stick, like Julia Cohen, whom is starting to be a promising 15 year old American Player. Alot of other players from different countries too. The Babolat Pure Drives are good too. Lots of both men/boy and women/girl prodigies use this racquet. Andy Roddick of course, whom is a favorite of most young girls because they think he is a "hottie" :roll: ....anyways, like said before this could also keep her interested in the game and perhaps inspired because she plays with Andy's racquet and not to mention lots of other tour pros as well.

________
VAPORIZER REVIEW (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

perfmode
06-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Personally I'd recommend a Yonex MP-2i, OR Yonex RDX 300 103", OR even a Babolat Pure Drive (either model)

The MP-2i may inspire her to be the next Anna Kournikova. This may truly keep her interested in the game if she knows she is playing with Anna's racquet (if whe is a fan of course). Not to mention there is ALOT of Pro Teens (Girls) playing with this stick, like Julia Cohen, whom is starting to be a promising 15 year old American Player. Alot of other players from different countries too. The Babolat Pure Drives are good too. Lots of both men/boy and women/girl prodigies use this racquet. Andy Roddick of course, whom is a favorite of most young girls because they think he is a "hottie" :roll: ....anyways, like said before this could also keep her interested in the game and perhaps inspired because she plays with Andy's racquet and not to mention lots of other tour pros as well.

Definitely. The PD or PD OS would both be good sticks for her to try.

MrBushido
06-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Would one say that the Yonex MP-2i racquets are for females?

Edit: Females only?

tennisnj
06-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Prince TT Bandit OS...

MrBushido
06-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have an image of the Bandit UP CLOSE and PERSONAL? A detail view of it?

Shane Reynolds
06-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Fischer GDS Rally FT. Light but not too light. Large head but not too large. It is high tech from tip to grip. When she gets a little stronger, she can transition nicely into the Pro Impact FT. I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that these racquets are too light but you can't saddle her with too heavy of a racquet now or she'll lose interest in the game. If she wanted to go head heavy, I recommend the Dunlop 600G ICE; this racquet gets zero respect but I'm telling you the truth, it is a nice frame for a pure tweener.