PDA

View Full Version : Silent Partner CL

Stitch626
06-02-2004, 02:55 PM
I found this electric stringer with 6 pt mounting system and fixed clamps for only $469 and was wondering if there was any feedback on it? At first I thought it was way too cheap for an electric.

MNJEEPJEEP
06-02-2004, 08:48 PM
A guy on my tennis team had one... not sure what model..

It didnt tension right.. they told him the electricity in his house wasnt good enough to run it... and that he should take it to my house and try it there... and then call them. They must think I have some good electricity at my house. :P

I thought that was the best.

!Tym
06-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Agree, the SP electronic tensioner is a sham. It's not true constant pull. I used to have one years ago. And it never pulled above 60lbs. no matter what I tried that I recall. Furthermore, checking it on the calibrator the tension dropped a few pounds and stabilized there as I recall.

However, it does have steady, slow pull rate that produces consistent results...it's just that the reference tension will not be as high as it should be.

It'd be my choice for a true ENTRY-LEVEL singer, i.e. Klippermate range, as it's easier to use and more convenient, and besides floating clamps can't really hold tension above 60 anyway, too much twisting. They'll always produce a looser string job.

For the price of the CL, however, it should not even be an option. Consider a Laserfibre ECO for a little bit more, or even a top of the line Eagnas dropweight, or a used machine.

Trust me, the CL's tensioner just does not work as claimed. They should be upfront about this. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just different.

tmoney37
06-03-2004, 11:24 AM
I had never heard that about floating clamps. Any thoughts on whether they do or do not actually hold tension over 60 lbs?