PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to The Church?

Hartzy
12-26-2005, 05:26 AM
I just started listening to them a few months ago even though they are really old. Reptile is an amazing song and their layering guitar work is really neat sounding. Reminds me of late 60s rock mixed with The Cure. However, they still remain largely unknown except for appearing in the Donny Darko soundtrack with an almost 20 year old song. So any fans?

Z-Man
12-26-2005, 07:35 AM
They are a awesome band. Saw them in DC a few years ago and they put on a great show. Starfish is their most consistent album, but their other albums have some great songs as well. Some of those later albums have a futuristic vibe that sort of indicates the direction rock might have gone in if grunge had never happened. It was all of the chorus/delay/reverb/atmosphere of new wave but with a psychedilic vibe. I think bands like Radiohead picked up where they left off in the non-cockrock, non-grunge guitar driven rock world...

Z-Man
12-26-2005, 07:38 AM
I'll bet some of our Aussie friends can tell us what they're up to. I heard Steve Kilby was going to have an art show in Atlanta.

Deuce
12-27-2005, 12:00 AM
If I may make a bold prediction...
...the trend of fewer and fewer people listening to The Church will continue for the foreseeable future.

This is both good and bad.

armand
12-27-2005, 12:23 AM
If I may make a bold prediction...
...the trend of fewer and fewer people listening to The Church will continue for the foreseeable future.

This is both good and bad.please elaborate

Oluap
12-27-2005, 09:29 AM
I started listening to THE CHURCH since their album "Heyday" was released here in Portugal back in 1985. Since then and because I enjoyed so much the album I started buying older albuns like SEANCE (1983) and REMOTE LUXURY (1984) wich are particularly brilliant. I know also the album STARFISH (1988) wich imo is still very good. The albuns GOLD AFTERNOON FIX (1990) and PRIEST = AURA (1992) aren't as good as the older ones and I lost a little bit of interest on the group. Are the new ones worth listening/buying?

In the early 90's The Church came to Lisbon/Portugal to fabulous concert. It was a little bit of a surprise because The Church weren't very famous even in terms of independent music.

The australians gave us three of the best inteligent pop music groups of the 80s: The Go-Betweens, The Triffids and of course The Church

Hartzy
12-27-2005, 05:01 PM
The Go-Betweens had amazing talent! Was There Anything I Could Do is one of the few songs I have ever heard by them but it's so catchy.