PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sand there racquet?

burgerks
12-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Not planning on it I was just wondering if anyone has sanded there racquet down or painted it themselves or had them repainted. I remember as a kid one of my friends painted a wilson hammer and it turned out heavy as a...well it was heavy. It would be nice to be able to get rid of those scrapes and nicks. Just wondering...
thanks

jackson vile
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
It is really easy, if you want you could take it to a person that paints cars, or some one that does custom work on cars, bikes, t-shirts ect and they can give you any kind of design or picture that you want.

If you are thinking your are going to get something nice out of a spray can then you are sadly mistaken, there is a lot to painting and so many things you can do to make a paint really pop.

Do you ever watch Overhaul on TLC? They will do say a green prime, red paint, then pearl blue clear coat and bam!

jayserinos99
12-28-2005, 12:35 PM
besides the obligatory 'do a search' post, i thought i'd chime in. i painted 3 pro tour 280s all black and they came out fine. i used 2 coat of primer, 2 coats of matte black paint and 1 coat of matte clear coat and they felt and swung the same as before. the hardest part was getting the paint off the frame, i had to use bulldog paint remover to get that paint off.

if you want to do your own custom design, then you're going to have to bring your sticks to a custom paint shop.

Steve Huff
12-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Jay, what grit sandpaper did you use? I've tried sanding and painting, but every flaw shows like a crack in a windshield. I even tried a metallic armor paint that was supposed to give it a 3D look. I thought that would hide any imperfections, but it didn't. I just need to sand it with finer grit I think.

louis netman
12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
I've never done it, however I've done some research and you can "bead blast" the paint off at your local sandblaster. This is a lighter version that does not damage the graphite. Then go to your local auto body shop and have them paint it. Of course, it's cheaper to do multiple rackets at both of these entities...

Michelangelo
12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I may do my own nSix-One Tour 90 if one day its paint is really worn. However, I never touch my racket head to ground even for volley. So... I don't know how long I need to wait for the original paint gets bad.

Anyway, I'll prefer to have blue-white and carbon-gray nSix-One tour 90's instead.

jayserinos99
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Jay, what grit sandpaper did you use? I've tried sanding and painting, but every flaw shows like a crack in a windshield. I even tried a metallic armor paint that was supposed to give it a 3D look. I thought that would hide any imperfections, but it didn't. I just need to sand it with finer grit I think.

I didn't use sandpaper at all as Bulldog was really strong, but I think you're right with the sandpaper as you may want to go with the finer grit since you don't want to damage the graphite.

Sixpointone
12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Jay,

I did a search on TW and found some photos of your Racquets. However I was not able to find the ones that you painted.

Would you be chance happen to have a link to pictures of them?

Regards,
John

MackSamuelHustovisics
12-29-2005, 12:48 PM
My two cents.........

FYI, to get professional results, you don't need an air brush or compressor paint sprayers. If u have those equipment, whoopty doo...more the merrier.
Household spray cans are fine. Fan nozzle patterns are even better (the type typically for autobody work).

To get pro results rather than a mickey mouse job, make sure you remove everything on the racquet to the bare bones..... strings, grommets, grip (not that important if you don't mind regripping higher to new finish area), etc.

Then, strip the original finish with paint remover or sandpaper+fine sandpaper (if sand stripping method is used).

Priming is a must if you want that smooth untextured finish. So prime, fine sand, prime, sand as necessary (watch out for added weight though!)

Multiple coats of paint as well (don't sand in between paint coats unless you screw up with drip spots from impatient thick coating! Take the time with with multiple thin coating.).

Lastly, protect the labor you put in to the job with coats of polyurethane/ clear coats (shiny, flat matt, whatever you desire). Some bake the racq. after the paint coatings. Obviously for baking, you have to know what you're doing and the material(s) you're dealing with since some composites will melt or cannot withstand the high temperature. Baking is not necessary for showroom paint jobs so you don't need to bother with that and skipping it will reduce the risks if you're uncertain about the method and or material types.

You can now enjoy being separate from the trendy crowd and keep your weapon of choice your own personal secret.

jayserinos99
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Jay,

I did a search on TW and found some photos of your Racquets. However I was not able to find the ones that you painted.

Would you be chance happen to have a link to pictures of them?

Regards,
John

Sure John.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/jayserinos99/IMG_0324.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/jayserinos99/IMG_0325.jpg

These are painted PT280s with iPrestige CAP grommets. Much credit goes to Michael Chaho (who did the same thing with his PT280s, but with glossy black and with another type of CAP grommet) who did this first (I believe) on the old TW boards.

SDTENNIS
12-29-2005, 06:09 PM
anyone else do any other colors other than black...i think all white would look cool at first....black is the best though

SDTENNIS
12-29-2005, 06:10 PM
And wouldn't this alter the weight of your racket? or not since you got rid of hte original paint.

Sixpointone
12-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting the link to the pics.

I really love the basic Black color sheme with a White Overgrip.

My compliments on a job well done.

Regards,
John

arnz
12-29-2005, 07:43 PM
If I ever got an Ncode racquet, I would definitely repaint it to black or some solid color. The candy colors just makes me go..BLECH

MackSamuelHustovisics
12-29-2005, 10:46 PM
If I ever got an Ncode racquet, I would definitely repaint it to black or some solid color. The candy colors just makes me go..BLECH

Besides that, you would look like one of those trendy wannabe and trytobe Feds. Too many of them everywhere. I would paint it. Plus, since I usually turn heads when I practice and play, I wouldn't want others to copy me with the equipment I use. It's a person thing. Sometimes you can't control the way you feel, but only your actions.

Thaychua
12-30-2005, 02:19 AM
besides the obligatory 'do a search' post, i thought i'd chime in. i painted 3 pro tour 280s all black and they came out fine. i used 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of matte black paint and 1 coat of matte clear coat and they felt and swung the same as before. the hardest part was getting the paint off the frame, i had to use bulldog paint remover to get that paint off.

if you want to do your own custom design, then you're going to have to bring your sticks to a custom paint shop.

Just a curious question...
I applied the bulldog paint stripper, waited like 10-15 mins like the instructions said...and cleaned it off with a rag...but somehow the paint doesn't come off easily at all...i had to eventually sand it down myself.. am i doing something wrong?
Thanks

jayserinos99
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
^ i'm not surprised that it would come to that (i'm a glass half empty sort of person when it comes to these things) and so sanding would be necessary after a while.

i have a couple of pure controls that are fairly beat up. once the weather clears up, i'll probably paint these racquets and i'll document the process more detailed.

jayserinos99
01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
And wouldn't this alter the weight of your racket? or not since you got rid of hte original paint.

i could see the weight and balance altered a lot more if one would really put on a lot of paint and clear coat. i purposely didn't do that just for fear of really altering the weight and balance.

SDTENNIS
01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
so would you recoomend just one coat of paint?

jayserinos99
01-02-2006, 09:42 PM
i did 2 coats along w/ 1 coat of clearcoat and it came out fine; i think as long as you don't go overboard (like 10 or more coats) you should be fine. as far as one coat being fine, i made it 3 (total) just to get everything coated, maybe 1 isn't enough.

SDTENNIS
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Would you recomend...i'm gonna do all black....and what type of brush did you use?

jayserinos99
01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
looks wise, i like all black but that's just preference. i didn't use brushes at all but spray paint.

SDTENNIS
01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I have an O3 Racket? what would you recoomend with the O POrts as far as painting inside of them.

jayserinos99
01-02-2006, 10:56 PM
wow...i hope someone else can chime in on this one, i'd say try to do it with the spray paint. which O3 do you have?

SDTENNIS
01-03-2006, 07:58 AM
The O3 tour

bc-05
01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
can u make em look like the original racquet? if i bring it to the custom painter shop?
and how much would it cost approximately?

Mark Vessels
07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
if you sand a racquet down by just rubbing it with sand paper cause it to lose weight?

I would like to see how that looks