PDA

View Full Version : Look at this fine St. Vincent!

peter
12-28-2005, 12:43 PM
The code written on the buttcap is SKQ - this must be a St. Vincent?

It's really in oprime condition! Just look at these pictures!

The original cap in all it's glory!
http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/vincent/cap.jpg

Also look at the fine paint job details - they must have really worked hard on these rackets
http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/vincent/details.jpg

The decals really have stood the edge of time nicely and kept their original colour!
http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/vincent/decals.jpg

And don't miss the colour of the primer on this one!
http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/vincent/primer.jpg

Jonnyf
12-28-2005, 12:49 PM
AWESOME MAN YOU'RE SO LUCKY. is that a Tyger white rubber thingy.

peter
12-28-2005, 01:02 PM
AWESOME MAN YOU'RE SO LUCKY. is that a Tyger white rubber thingy.

Yeah, the Wilson one I used to have there fell off a year ago, so I bought a bag of the Tyger ones.... Sadly also the original leather grip was so worn out (I played without an overgrip for *many* years - can you believe that?) so I had to replace that one too (was replaced with a synthetic one).

I also had to replace the bumper guards & co since the originals also fell off... The replacements almost fit but nothing a little violence couldn't fix! :-)

Jonnyf
12-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Did you just find it or were you posting it as you just realised OR were you trying to make lil ol me jealous

peter
12-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Did you just find it or were you posting it as you just realised OR were you trying to make lil ol me jealous

Yes :-)

PrestigeClassic
12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Is this an Agenger 93? Though there is a "Q" in this code (are you sure it isn't an "O"?), this looks like a Taiwan frame. The font of your code matches those on other Taiwan frames, as well as the first letter being an "S"--very common on Taiwan frames, not at all on St. Vincent frames. The lower portion of the grommet channel is also rounded, not at all like with St. Vincent frames.

jonolau
12-30-2005, 01:34 AM
How do you tell whether a Wilson racquet was made in St Vincent? Is it from the code at the bottom? Or were there special markings or wording that indicated that it was made in St Vincent?

I've also seen some Pro Staffs that had a "crown" logo on the frame just above the grip. What is it?

Thaychua
12-30-2005, 02:55 AM
How do you tell whether a Wilson racquet was made in St Vincent? Is it from the code at the bottom? Or were there special markings or wording that indicated that it was made in St Vincent?

I've also seen some Pro Staffs that had a "crown" logo on the frame just above the grip. What is it?

SV mostly have the last letter ending in Q, Grommet ends in square shape instead of round shape(chinese, and some taiwans, but not all taiwans), wording usually is just "PRO STAFF" not " PRO STAFF 6.0" and "MIDSIZE" not "MIDSIZE 85", throat information is different, Most important determinant though is the red primer under the paint instead of the white/gray found in taiwans/chinese..

The Pro staffs with the "crown" logo on the frame above the grip i believe is the Jack kramer Prostaff(same mold as ps 85, but has 20% glass instead of kevlar)

peter
12-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Is this an Agenger 93? Though there is a "Q" in this code (are you sure it isn't an "O"?), this looks like a Taiwan frame. The font of your code matches those on other Taiwan frames, as well as the first letter being an "S"--very common on Taiwan frames, not at all on St. Vincent frames. The lower portion of the grommet channel is also rounded, not at all like with St. Vincent frames.

It's a Wilson Avenger that I bought around 1983-1984 or so. It's definitely made in the same mold as the 6.0-85 (but probably not using the same compounds) since there is a pretty good match between my 6.0-85's and the Avenger (exactly the same weight and balance btw - which made it _really_ easy for me to switch to the 6.0-85 a couple of years ago). The 6.0-85 replacement grommets fit pretty well (except in the throat area).

I'm pretty sure it's a Q and not an O. I didn't think Wilson made rackets in Taiwan in the early/mid 80ies, but I might be wrong. When did Wilson start to
make rackets in Taiwan?

jonolau
12-30-2005, 06:11 AM
SV mostly have the last letter ending in Q, Grommet ends in square shape instead of round shape(chinese, and some taiwans, but not all taiwans), wording usually is just "PRO STAFF" not " PRO STAFF 6.0" and "MIDSIZE" not "MIDSIZE 85", throat information is different, Most important determinant though is the red primer under the paint instead of the white/gray found in taiwans/chinese..

The Pro staffs with the "crown" logo on the frame above the grip i believe is the Jack kramer Prostaff(same mold as ps 85, but has 20% glass instead of kevlar)
Thanks, Chua. Have you played with a SV before and if so, do you find any spectacular about it? There seems to be so much hype about it and my curiousity is getting the better of me ...

Thaychua
12-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks, Chua. Have you played with a SV before and if so, do you find any spectacular about it? There seems to be so much hype about it and my curiousity is getting the better of me ...

yes i have, infact i played with all 4 versions of the ps85, from the Chicago to the Chinese.. and the SV does live up to the hype..
it offers just the right amount of power(but less that the chinese/taiwan) and basically everything else is a dream for me...weight.control...maneuverability.feel.power.. .was just right..The sv also was significantly stiffer(beam width wider) which i like because i tend to like stiff frames and the quality control was very good..All the SV i had weighed in at around 12.8 +/- 1...Only reason the SV(bumperless) is not my main stick is because it's hard to find and cost $$$$.. so i stick to the chinese/taiwans, which offers close to same performance and are more abundant..

You should give it a try if you never hit with an SV b4.. and i recommend the bumperless version which is more headlight..
But if you cant get one...i think a Chicago will do...it plays very similar to the SV..