PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts on Head LiquidMetal Instinct Tour XL Racquets ?????

javier sergio
12-28-2005, 06:29 PM
there is a good review in TW, any other opinions.....thanks

roddick_rulz
12-28-2005, 06:32 PM
ask fishuuu he's always helpful. And also, he does use it so it must mean it's pretty good...at least for his needs.

TEAM ZERO
12-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Yesterday, I posted about myself searching for a racquet which has the same or a little less power compared to the PD+ but has more control. And the Instinct Tour XL was the racquet I was recommended.

The Instinct Tour XL is currently on my list for my next racquet!

Richie Rich
12-28-2005, 08:14 PM
i found it a little light (nothing that lead won't fix) but definitely a more comfy hit than the pd+. surprisingly good control for a wider beam frame. you can even string it up with poly and won't feel too harsh.

if you have a fast swing balls can fly on you if you don't string at the top of the tension range or slightly above.

at the current price, it's a a bargain. you can buy 2 for the price of one pd+

fishuuuuu
12-28-2005, 08:29 PM
For about $65.00~70.00 it's a much better buy than a Pure Drive. This racquet great from any part of the court and gives a noticeable improvement in spin and pace without the input of extra work. On days when you're not quite yourself you can still find pretty good access to spin and hitting out is not a scare. Works really well with many different variety of strings, and suitible for a 1HBH regardless of being extended. Weighing in at 11.8 oz, it plays like it should on paper, however feels lighter on the court, making for good slice and topspin in the right hands (and it vollies well).

A little note about the string pattern, it's denser toward the middle noticeably and more open closer to the frame. This gives the definite increase in control when struck correctly, but the increased power when struck not so cleanly and in trouble.

In short, it's controllable power without restriction to touch.

The only complaint I have, is one that I share with all extended length racquets, it's just too darn good. I mean ... it should be illegal :p

D-man
12-28-2005, 09:11 PM
i really like it, but my style tends to be a tad sloppy and it makes up for it. you don't get the same heft & control as the rdx 500 mid, but you get a lot of control for the power. used a cat 7 before which swings like a toothpick without led, but so comfortable. i have a good bit of lead on my tour xl for making better heavy shots, it swings real light for a player's type racket

TEAM ZERO
12-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Is there any major differences between the Liquid Metal Instinct Tour XL and the Flex Point Instinct?

mellofelow
12-30-2005, 02:44 AM
i really like it, but my style tends to be a tad sloppy and it makes up for it. you don't get the same heft & control as the rdx 500 mid, but you get a lot of control for the power. used a cat 7 before which swings like a toothpick without led, but so comfortable. i have a good bit of lead on my tour xl for making better heavy shots, it swings real light for a player's type racket
Dman, I'm using the Cat7 now and agree it's way too light but after adding a little bit of tape, it's a great all around racquet. So, are you playing with the Tour XL now? What's the difference between the two?

Richie Rich
12-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Is there any major differences between the Liquid Metal Instinct Tour XL and the Flex Point Instinct?

the flexpoint instinct is standard length and feels more muted (to me anyway). didn't notice any other major difference but it was 1 week between hits with both racquets so might have forgot some subtle things.

joe1987
12-30-2005, 05:43 AM
For about $65.00~70.00 it's a much better buy than a Pure Drive. This racquet great from any part of the court and gives a noticeable improvement in spin and pace without the input of extra work. On days when you're not quite yourself you can still find pretty good access to spin and hitting out is not a scare. Works really well with many different variety of strings, and suitible for a 1HBH regardless of being extended. Weighing in at 11.8 oz, it plays like it should on paper, however feels lighter on the court, making for good slice and topspin in the right hands (and it vollies well).

A little note about the string pattern, it's denser toward the middle noticeably and more open closer to the frame. This gives the definite increase in control when struck correctly, but the increased power when struck not so cleanly and in trouble.

In short, it's controllable power without restriction to touch.

The only complaint I have, is one that I share with all extended length racquets, it's just too darn good. I mean ... it should be illegal :p

Same thoughts here. Great racket, great value.

pham4313
12-30-2005, 05:50 AM
The instinct Tour XL is more headlight versus the flexpoint instinct (although 4 or 6 pts headlight it feels more balance). Open string pattern 16x19 on the Tour XL gives a lot of spin potential. And yes, it feels lighter than it actually weights. Very good serving racket and also very manuverable at net despite its extra length. Its a treat if you hit one-handed BH also. You can smack it or flatten the ball out like Lijbicic or Gasquet.

TEAM ZERO
12-30-2005, 05:34 PM
So overall you guyz rate the Tour XL higher than the Flexpoint Instinct?

D-man
12-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Dman, I'm using the Cat7 now and agree it's way too light but after adding a little bit of tape, it's a great all around racquet. So, are you playing with the Tour XL now? What's the difference between the two?

I love the Cat 7 to pieces. Yeah, with some lead it's a treat. Yeah, I'm playin' the Tour XL now, and just gives me a bit more feel. The XL is diff than the Cat mainly in that it has a thiinner beam and more solid feeling and more feel on shots. that's about it

jackson vile
12-31-2005, 09:13 AM
The LMIXL is a great racquet, I use signum poly plasma and like it very very much, the spin is just out of this world, the serves have power, most of all the most suprising thing is that it has amazing control for any racquet.

The swing wight is too high in my opinion and the static weight is too low, needs to be at least 11.8oz, if you are used to a lower swing weight the only thing I can recomend is that you use gut or a synthetic other wise you serve with go to crap.

My wife had to switch from it which broke my hear, but even I thought the swing weight was too high, so if you feel you are not getting enough power on serve and other shots go 58-55 and hybrid or use all gut, this will take care of that issue also string crosses lower as I felt the sweet spot was not as big as my LMP+