PDA

View Full Version : racket break while stringing...

snoflewis
12-28-2005, 09:36 PM
has anyone sent in a racket that cracked while stringing? did you get a replacement? thx

Steve Huff
12-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, years ago, i broke one. I'd bet you were stringing 1-piece and stringing the crosses from bottom to top. Broke at 2 or 10 I'd guess. If not, I'd look to make sure your mounting posts were tightened. They make a h e l l of a noise, don't they?

snoflewis
12-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, years ago, i broke one. I'd bet you were stringing 1-piece and stringing the crosses from bottom to top. Broke at 2 or 10 I'd guess. If not, I'd look to make sure your mounting posts were tightened. They make a h e l l of a noise, don't they?

haha...well..mine broke at 3 or 9...but did you get a replacement for it?

Mr.Federer
12-29-2005, 06:33 AM
snoflewis, read this thread...it's got all of the answers you're looking for...http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76976&highlight=stupid+stringer

roddick_rulz
12-29-2005, 07:51 AM
How do racquets break?

jonolau
12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
How do racquets break?
Manufacturing defects, racquet abuse, wear and tear ...

Steve Huff
12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Yes, I did. It was a ProKennex Composite Dominator. Mid 80's. Their customer service explained how to string a box pattern (ATW), and why. I've been using it since on 1-piece stringjobs.

PBODY99
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
has anyone sent in a racket that cracked while stringing? did you get a replacement? thx
Yes, the early longbody rackets tended to fail early or were extremely strong. Dunlop, Yonnex, Gamma and Wilson all honored the warranty. All failed at the 10 or 2 location, without any signs of wear on the bumper. They were strung on Ektelon and Gamma crank machines by an USRSA certified stringer. Only Prince frames have failed in my machines at 9 & 3, both times using top down two piece pattern. You could see slight scuffing of the frame at the site of the failure but they were both over a year old so were out of coverage.:cool:

Dan007
12-29-2005, 12:46 PM
My coach said he broke his racket by stringing to tight at 80lbs.

jck01
12-29-2005, 12:48 PM

I doubt that a racquet manufacturer will replace a racquet that cracks during stringing. There are various causes of cracking (during stringing) - age of the racquet and higher than recommended stringing tension comes to my mind for some reason. Since the racquet can crack due to neglect or ignorance (by the stringer), the manufacturer will not likely provide a replacment racquet.

Yes, I did break one racquet two years ago - I think the racquet was < 10 oz. One of my friend had his wife string his racquet - and it cracked. Neither of us asked for a replacement from the manufacturer.