PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Custom tennis racquet companies.

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 05:34 AM
There are custom racquet companys cropping up more and more..i.e: Topspin, Vantage, Bosworth, and Some other company in this months tennis magazine (Does anyone knwo the name?). Anyway, hee are my questions:

1. How many custom companies are out there?

2. Does anyone have any experience with a custom company? What was the quality of the racquets? Do they have a good demo program? Do they have a good return policy?

3, How the hell do you know exactly what you need? Do the companies help you?

4. Which company is the best bang for the buck? Topspin is like $150 bucks, while Bosworth is like $400 bucks.

5. I am assuming these companies do not have the "technolgies" of off the shelf companies.....i.e. Ncode, Flexpoints, kinetic energy, etc etc. ..and if so Does the absence of these technolgies create a disadvantage?

6. Some of these companies like Topspin claim that the Pro's are actually playing with their racquets but are simply using paintjobs. Is this true?

7. Which company has the most variey in choosing the specs?

8. Should I buy a custom over an off the shelf frame? Is this the way of the future?

jonolau
12-29-2005, 08:30 AM
5. I am assuming these companies do not have the "technolgies" of off the shelf companies.....i.e. Ncode, Flexpoints, kinetic energy, etc etc. ..and if so Does the absence of these technolgies create a disadvantage?

This was the same thing that went through my mind. Anyone can help with this?

sureshs
12-29-2005, 09:32 AM

I think some of them customize stock racquets of other manufacturers for you.

jaskey
12-29-2005, 10:57 AM
There are custom racquet companys cropping up more and more..i.e: Topspin, Vantage, Bosworth, and Some other company in this months tennis magazine (Does anyone knwo the name?). Anyway, hee are my questions:

1. How many custom companies are out there?

2. Does anyone have any experience with a custom company? What was the quality of the racquets? Do they have a good demo program? Do they have a good return policy?

3, How the hell do you know exactly what you need? Do the companies help you?

4. Which company is the best bang for the buck? Topspin is like $150 bucks, while Bosworth is like $400 bucks.

6. Some of these companies like Topspin claim that the Pro's are actually playing with their racquets but are simply using paintjobs. Is this true?

7. Which company has the most variey in choosing the specs?

8. Should I buy a custom over an off the shelf frame? Is this the way of the future?

i'll try to answer as much as i can...
1. ^^;; only god will know...
2. i have no personal experiance, but i heard vantage has a good service, good quality, and you try the racquet and can return it if you don't like it.
3. one, if you're not at the level where you know what you need, cumstom racquet probably isn't for you. two, reading racquet section helps alot in finding out what you do need. three, i think the company people would help you as much as they can.
4. *shrug* vantage is around $200 just to add to the other companies you have up there.
5. because they don't have the technologies and is made of pure graphite the custom racquets tends to have classic feel. (it feels like the good ol' days)
6. *shrug*
7. ...umm... ditto the last question.
8. i would go for off the shelf first and find out what kind of specs. you like on your racquet before turning to customization.

sorry i couldn't answer more than that, but that's about all i know. and feel free to correct me if i got anything wrong, because that's how i learn.

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
i'll try to answer as much as i can...
1. ^^;; only god will know...
2. i have no personal experiance, but i heard vantage has a good service, good quality, and you try the racquet and can return it if you don't like it.
3. one, if you're not at the level where you know what you need, cumstom racquet probably isn't for you. two, reading racquet section helps alot in finding out what you do need. three, i think the company people would help you as much as they can.
4. *shrug* vantage is around $200 just to add to the other companies you have up there.
5. because they don't have the technologies and is made of pure graphite the custom racquets tends to have classic feel. (it feels like the good ol' days)
6. *shrug*
7. ...umm... ditto the last question.
8. i would go for off the shelf first and find out what kind of specs. you like on your racquet before turning to customization.

sorry i couldn't answer more than that, but that's about all i know. and feel free to correct me if i got anything wrong, because that's how i learn.

Thanks ...you seem to know more than anyone else. The Topspin racquets seem pretty cool. They have a 93 inch racquet with a 16 x 18 string pattern! Sounds just right! and the price is like $150...I am strongly considering. the curiosity is killing me!

Kevin T
12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Can you still buy Topspin racquets from a US distributor? Their new 'Pure' series looks fantastic. No paint, only one tiny Topspin logo at the handle base. They say it saves 20g of weight and allows them to add more graphite, making the frame more solid and durable. Also, who is the new company in Tennis Mag? I gave up on reading Tennis Mag but would be interested in a new custom company. Thanks, all.

Vantage231511
12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Dude,

First, I couldn't find any other custom company or racquet mentioned or in an ad in Tennis Magazine. Can you tell us which page or where?

Okay, rather then address your questions by number, here is my take:

a. Bosworth is the "Maibach" of tennis racquets. Basically you fill out a very detailed questionaire, you talk to the Bosworths, and they build a racquet to you suited to your game a tweaked to your specs. With the exception of the octagonal head, everything else is to your requirement. They will also custom mold the handles.

b. Obviously I own Vantages. To my knowledge the most specs offered of any custom or other manufacturer. They will work with you to determine what is your best spec, and they offer a generous return program. Basically, you will get the frame that is best for you. They have one customer rep/team leader in NJ and also a partnership with Racquet Maxx in AL. Both are available to help you flesh out the right choices.

c. Topspin offers several models within the same basic spec, but with limited choices. Somewhere inbetween Vantage and an off the shelf guy. Also, don't think they are available in the US currently.

d. None of the custom companies offer "technologies" per se. Bosworth's patented head shape and trade secret weighting system are unique, but not anything more then basic carbon fiber frames tweeked to you personally. Which, by the way, is always better then a new technology that is NOT tweaked for you.

e. Bosworth is worth the bucks, so is Vantage. Vantage is somewhat less expensive so it is probably the consumer choice. I cannot comment on Topspin because I have not seen or played with one in a long, long time. I do know some people who used to swear by them.

Hope this helps.

Vantage231511
12-29-2005, 02:54 PM
I guess another way to put it is that my hand tailored, custom fit suits made by a small shop in Korea fit me and look better on me then the new Brooks Bros suit I just bought. Its not about the technology or label, its about what fits you.

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Dude,

First, I couldn't find any other custom company or racquet mentioned or in an ad in Tennis Magazine. Can you tell us which page or where?

Okay, rather then address your questions by number, here is my take:

a. Bosworth is the "Maibach" of tennis racquets. Basically you fill out a very detailed questionaire, you talk to the Bosworths, and they build a racquet to you suited to your game a tweaked to your specs. With the exception of the octagonal head, everything else is to your requirement. They will also custom mold the handles.

b. Obviously I own Vantages. To my knowledge the most specs offered of any custom or other manufacturer. They will work with you to determine what is your best spec, and they offer a generous return program. Basically, you will get the frame that is best for you. They have one customer rep/team leader in NJ and also a partnership with Racquet Maxx in AL. Both are available to help you flesh out the right choices.

c. Topspin offers several models within the same basic spec, but with limited choices. Somewhere inbetween Vantage and an off the shelf guy. Also, don't think they are available in the US currently.

d. None of the custom companies offer "technologies" per se. Bosworth's patented head shape and trade secret weighting system are unique, but not anything more then basic carbon fiber frames tweeked to you personally. Which, by the way, is always better then a new technology that is NOT tweaked for you.

e. Bosworth is worth the bucks, so is Vantage. Vantage is somewhat less expensive so it is probably the consumer choice. I cannot comment on Topspin because I have not seen or played with one in a long, long time. I do know some people who used to swear by them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!! REALLY HELPFUL! As to the other custom company in Tennis magazine....it was last months...oops. I cant remember what page...but the ad went something like "why not go custom".

As far as Bosworth, you had said that he only offers one size head. Vantage on the other hand has three different sizes as does Topspin....but Topspin actually has a 93 inch frame with 16 by 18 pattern. That really sounds awesome! Plus its the cheapest by far!

Kevin T
12-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Can we still get Topspin in the US? Website? Thanks.

Vantage231511
12-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Pushie,

I just looked at last months Tennis. No custom anything. I think you might be thinking Tennis Week magazine. In that case, the ad IS for Vantage, but the US partner RacquetMAXX placed the ad, so they have their info as well.

The Vantage 90 in 16X18 is terrific. I play with the 95 18X20, which I believe is the best of all worlds.

The Pusher Terminator
12-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Pushie,

I just looked at last months Tennis. No custom anything. I think you might be thinking Tennis Week magazine. In that case, the ad IS for Vantage, but the US partner RacquetMAXX placed the ad, so they have their info as well.

The Vantage 90 in 16X18 is terrific. I play with the 95 18X20, which I believe is the best of all worlds.

maybe toy are right about the ad...Im really not sure. On another note, I called Vantage and they have told me to send in My Ncode 90. They will increase it to a 95 with the specs of the ncode 90.

I know you also love Bosworth...have you ever compared the Vantage and Bosworth?

The Pusher Terminator
12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Can we still get Topspin in the US? Website? Thanks.

here is the US distributors website:

http://members.tripod.com/allstrungup/id77.htm

I called them up because they have a custom 93 inch!!! Sounds perfect and it ls also the cheapest! Turns out that Topspin is involve in some sort of lawsuit...so if you need one of these racquets you will have to go to the Australian website or the British one...or the German one...but I cant understand that one.

Deuce
01-01-2006, 12:56 AM
maybe toy are right about the ad...Im really not sure. On another note, I called Vantage and they have told me to send in My Ncode 90. They will increase it to a 95 with the specs of the ncode 90.

I know you also love Bosworth...have you ever compared the Vantage and Bosworth?

Wait a second here...

Just to again prevent the more simple-minded from misunderstanding what Vantage actually offers...

I don't know exactly what they told you - but they CAN'T and WON'T 'make' you a racquet that is the same as your Ncode 90, but 5 sq. in. larger.

While they may be able to duplicate the weight and balance and grip size/shape of your Ncode 90 in a 95 sq. in. frame, the Vantage frame will not feel like an Ncode - simply because the Vantage ingredients and layup are not the same as the Ncode's.

(Unless, of course, those Vantages are really just painted Ncodes...)

rangi
01-01-2006, 04:32 AM
here is the US distributors website:

I called them up because they have a custom 93 inch!!! Sounds perfect and it ls also the cheapest! Turns out that Topspin is involve in some sort of lawsuit...so if you need one of these racquets you will have to go to the Australian website or the British one...or the German one...but I cant understand that one.

Better try this link:
http://www.topspintennis.de/catalog/index.php?language=en

The Pusher Terminator
01-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Wait a second here...

Just to again prevent the more simple-minded from misunderstanding what Vantage actually offers...

I don't know exactly what they told you - but they CAN'T and WON'T 'make' you a racquet that is the same as your Ncode 90, but 5 sq. in. larger.

While they may be able to duplicate the weight and balance and grip size/shape of your Ncode 90 in a 95 sq. in. frame, the Vantage frame will not feel like an Ncode - simply because the Vantage ingredients and layup are not the same as the Ncode's.

(Unless, of course, those Vantages are really just painted Ncodes...)

I completely agree with you. I posed the same question to Vantage...however they said that the technolgies are a bunch of B.S. ..specifically Ncode technology is B.S. . They told me that the companies out there basically all use the same ingedients and there is only very little differences. Thre are a few obvious exceptions he said...like Pro Kennex. He did not elaborate on that but I am assuming he is refereing to the fact that PK uses wood in some of their racquets and sand as well.

Better try this link:
http://www.topspintennis.de/catalog/index.php?language=en

THANK YOU!!!!!...but I dont see any options to make a custom racke on the site??? In any event...cool site...really inteesting stuff. Looks lile a great company. I noticed that their Poly pure strings are for sale!!!! People swear by this string (just do a search on TW and you will se the awesome rviews)...but you cant get it anywhere in the US anymore. Even TW stopped carrying it. I heard that it is the most incredible string on the market. I have got to try it ...and I would love to try a topspin racket!!! They must be involved in a terible lawsuit. I heard until the lawsuit is reolved that they cannot sell anything in the USA...does anyone know what is going on?

I cannot believe the amount of stuff they sell!!! They have 32 different racquets, custom tuning and a whole buch of tenniss accesories, exercise equipment, clothes....WOW!!!...What a cool cool company! THANK YOU!!!!..I am sure TW will be erasing this string soon...so you better cut and paste quickly everyone!

Finally, I think I have just found the only true Custom company. Its RPNY tennis. TW will block out the link if I try and display it normally . so here it is abnormally: ww w rpny tennis .com . Get it? Anyway..they truly customize a racquet to anything!! Not simply made forma mold of a few choices. Furthermore , they actually playtest with you before making the mold..and will even have a former pro playtest with you. I think his company is the ultimate in custom racquets...the only question is How much? anybody know?

emerckx53
01-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Pushie,

Here the website for Vantage: www.vantagetennis.com/

The Pusher Terminator
01-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Forget about RPNY...unless of course you want to spend literally $75000 dollars! Literally...$75,000 is the price.

Hiowever, he will give you 100 racquets for that price. What blows my mind is that there are people who actually pay RPNY that kind of money....and many of them are NOT pro's! WOW!!!!!!!!

as far as Topspin is concerend...you still can get them in the USA. I emailed them and there distributor will cll me today with the info. I am very excited because they will build a 93 square inch racquet...which sounds perfect for me!!!!!. Once i get the info i wll post it for everyone.

thejuice
01-02-2006, 07:21 AM
I am very excited because they will build a 93 square inch racquet...which sounds perfect for me!!!!!

Pusher Terminator, I swear I'm not trying to be rude but every time you post it seems you mention that they offer a 93 sq in head and that you are very excited. I think we get the idea. You don't have to tell us that they offer a 93 sq in 16 x 18 head anymore, just tell us how it plays when you get it. :)

The Pusher Terminator
01-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Pusher Terminator, I swear I'm not trying to be rude but every time you post it seems you mention that they offer a 93 sq in head and that you are very excited. I think we get the idea. You don't have to tell us that they offer a 93 sq in 16 x 18 head anymore, just tell us how it plays when you get it. :)

Point well taken...I just got a little over excited because there are not many racquets that come in that size. By the way did I mention what size that was yet? ...well Just in case I didnt its a 93 inch!!!!...LOL.

kinsella
01-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Pusher:

You got me all excited about a 16 main 93 sq in stick, but all I could find was a 18x20 603 model. Please direct me to the stick you mentioned. Sounds like a C10 Pro Tour.

Deuce
01-02-2006, 09:52 PM
As with Vantage, you will be buying your Topspin racquet blind - with no play test. The fact that it's 93 sq. in. and 16x18 - if indeed, this is the case - means very little if you don't know how it FEELS to hit a ball with it.

If you think that a racquet will be perfect for you just because it's 93 sq. in. and 16x18, and you can choose the weight & balance (and grip size/shape), then you're fooling yourself. While those elements might well fit your criteria for the 'perfect' racquet, you still don't have a clue about what is (to me, at least) the most important element - how the racquet feels when it strikes a ball.

Sorry to rain on your parade... but it's what I do. I would strongly advise you to do everything you can to hit with any racquet you're interested in before buying it.

The Pusher Terminator
01-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Pusher:

You got me all excited about a 16 main 93 sq in stick, but all I could find was a 18x20 603 model. Please direct me to the stick you mentioned. Sounds like a C10 Pro Tour.

Its confusing to me as well. maybe I read the website wrong.. But what is most important to me is the head size not the pattern. A 93 inch is just in between the 90 and 95....sounds awesome! But I think you already knew that I was excited about this prospect

If you want to buy it in the USA...you need to send an email here:

roger.thiele@steb-concepts.de

As with Vantage, you will be buying your Topspin racquet blind - with no play test. The fact that it's 93 sq. in. and 16x18 - if indeed, this is the case - means very little if you don't know how it FEELS to hit a ball with it.

If you think that a racquet will be perfect for you just because it's 93 sq. in. and 16x18, and you can choose the weight & balance (and grip size/shape), then you're fooling yourself. While those elements might well fit your criteria for the 'perfect' racquet, you still don't have a clue about what is (to me, at least) the most important element - how the racquet feels when it strikes a ball.

Sorry to rain on your parade... but it's what I do. I would strongly advise you to do everything you can to hit with any racquet you're interested in before buying it.

What ever gave you the idea that I would not demo it first? Both vantage and Topspin have great return policies.. Play with the racquet for 30 days...if you dont like it then just return it for a full refund.

Deuce
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
What ever gave you the idea that I would not demo it first? Both vantage and Topspin have great return policies.. Play with the racquet for 30 days...if you dont like it then just return it for a full refund.
Play with it for 30 days, and return it? Sounds rather implausible.

I strongly suggest that you read the fine print.

kinsella
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
The "fine print" in the Vantage warranty is that it must be returned unmolested and "like new." If not, they don't just stiff you, a deduction for wear is made. So, you need to load up on head tape and be careful while you are in the first 30 days.

iscottius
01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Alot of people want to knock vantage for whatever reason. I have dealt with Vantage, demoed two of thier racquets and chose not to buy them. Vantage could not have been nicer, sent me a couple sets of multi string for my demo period and we had a nice dialogue. The racquets played extremely well, the reason that I did not purchase the vantage was I was looking for a head size and string combination that they did not offer. Vantage offers more choices to the consumer outside of a complete custom frame than anyone else. Thier customer service is outstanding, and I believe that they will "push" the industry to follow suit, much like Ping Golf in the 80's.

The Pusher Terminator
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Alot of people want to knock vantage for whatever reason. I have dealt with Vantage, demoed two of thier racquets and chose not to buy them. Vantage could not have been nicer, sent me a couple sets of multi string for my demo period and we had a nice dialogue. The racquets played extremely well, the reason that I did not purchase the vantage was I was looking for a head size and string combination that they did not offer. Vantage offers more choices to the consumer outside of a complete custom frame than anyone else. Thier customer service is outstanding, and I believe that they will "push" the industry to follow suit, much like Ping Golf in the 80's.

I dont know if I mentioned the before...but....Topspin has a 93 inch you may be interested in...LOL (Thats in your honor Kinsella..lol).