PDA

View Full Version : updated prokennex heritage type r?

freshman_phenom
12-29-2005, 06:14 AM
I've heard that there was a new redondo edition heritage type c coming out in the near future....and I was wondering if prokennex was planning on releasing a new upadted version of the type r

jonolau
12-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Are Prokennex racquets any good? I have not had the opportunity to try one yet, and nobody I know who plays serious rec/tournaments here uses it.

Steve Huff
12-29-2005, 12:18 PM
I've been using ProKennex rackets the mid eighties. They are one of the few companies that not only look at performance of their rackets, but also arm safety. I just started using the 10g PSE. It hits better than any other MP rackets I've tried, and has their kinetic system, which dampens vibration. My arm has never hurt with any of their standard length rackets. Pro Kennex offers a 2 year warranty too, which most other companies don't. Last year, they had some problems getting rackets returned quickly, but I think they've solved that problem. They had been hit by that fire that spread through California, or couldn't get shipments (something of that nature). They had some rackets that didn't meet their specs too. At least they didn't sell them. They had them redone at the manufacturer before they accepted them. But, as far as how they treat their customers, they've been very good (not that other companies aren't--Wilson, Prince and Head seem to treat their customers good too).
When you first hit with a kinetic racket, you might hear the "sandlike" particles inside. Don't let it bother you. After a few weeks of hitting, you won't even notice it. Plus, it works. It's been an arm saver to me.

freshman_phenom
12-29-2005, 03:01 PM
awesome! thanks for the feedback...buut the question till remains...will an updated type r exist?

Keifers
12-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I own one of the current-generation Type Rs -- a fine lighter-weight player's frame with nice flex (58 ra) and a very stable hoop. I haven't heard of a new version in the works, but you could always call Pro Kennex (get the 800 number from their web site) and ask.

I imagine their focus right now is on launching the new 100% graphite Type C.

Steve Huff
12-29-2005, 09:09 PM
The Type R has only been out a year or 2. I doubt an updated version is being made yet. That's one thing I really like about PK. They don't change a racket just for the sake of change. The 5g has been around for years with minor updates and improvements. More models have been made as I'm sure their market research finds a niche. Sometimes, the paint schemes change, but that just reflects the colors that are popular at the time.

bcaz
12-29-2005, 09:13 PM
The type R is a really nice frame and unique among current offerings -- other than the drab paint job, I'm not sure what PK could do to change or improve it.

Keifers
12-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Greetings, bcaz.

freshman phenom, if you haven't done so already, I recommend that you read bcaz's comparative review of the Type R and a couple of other racquets -- very informative and well-written.

jonolau
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
This is interesting. ProKennex is available here, just saw it today, but it is sold in non-descript shops with no loud advertising. Just plain old solid sticks. Might try and get hold of a demo Type R ...

leigh
12-30-2005, 07:19 AM
Just want to support everything Steve said. I have used Pro kennex for 7 years; first 5 the 5g, two years with the core 1 #6 and I am looking at moving to the new Redondo.

Quality, great customer service, do not introduce a new frame every 6 months, great value (probably because they advertise by word of mouth vs mega advertizing.

Try them you will like it.

PBODY99
12-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Are Prokennex racquets any good? I have not had the opportunity to try one yet, and nobody I know who plays serious rec/tournaments here uses it.
I'll add my glowing support for the Pro Kennex line. The retro models are straight from the 80's and the kinetic line are very well made and arm friendly.:cool:

ssjkyle31
12-30-2005, 04:12 PM
I really don't know how the Type R will play with a straight 100 % graphite. I would think it will lose some of the POP but gain a whole lot of control.

Michelangelo
12-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah, can you name any pro using ProKennix? I can't find any based on my limited knowledge. Thanks.

goober
12-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah, can you name any pro using ProKennix? I can't find any based on my limited knowledge. Thanks.

Prokennex doesn't give pro endorsements as far as I know.

Michelangelo
12-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Prokennex doesn't give pro endorsements as far as I know.

No wonder...

jonolau
12-31-2005, 01:24 AM
I'll add my glowing support for the Pro Kennex line. The retro models are straight from the 80's and the kinetic line are very well made and arm friendly.:cool:
Thanks. Could you throw some more light on this: just wondering what you meant by stright from the 80s, as I only started tennis in the early 90s.

You mentioned that the kinetic line is well made: in relation to which type of racquet, era etc?

skraggle
12-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Don't overlook the Heritage C 93 current version. It serves bombs, volleys crisply, has an excellent power/control ratio, and the weight/manueverability is sweet. I've already stocked up on this baby!

danix
01-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Don't forget that PK also used to manufacture frames for a large number of the companies out there, not sure if they still do today.

The PK Black Ace was one of the primo frames of the 80s. I couldn't afford one, so my first real racquet was a Copper Ace. Later, in the 90s, I played with the Ceramic Destiny, which was probably a kissing cousin to today's Babolat Pure Drive, at least in frame design.

PBODY99
01-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks. Could you throw some more light on this: just wondering what you meant by stright from the 80s, as I only started tennis in the early 90s.

You mentioned that the kinetic line is well made: in relation to which type of racquet, era etc?

Lower stiffness and a higher overall weight. Much of the new materials in tennis frames are the "peace dividend " from the cold war. The extra strong light weight composites developed for warfare have made the current crop of rackets affordable.
As to being well made, a two year warranty vs the industry standard one year is putting your quality conrtol money were your mouth is. :cool: