PDA

View Full Version : Toning Muscles!!!

bboy_benny
02-27-2004, 05:32 PM
So... Now my question is! Who would be stronger? A man that is 70 kg all muscle or a 95 kg man with the same amount muscle as the 1st one but with more fat? People have said to me that body fat makes you slower and makes you weaker but I think for tennis the 2nd would have a stronger serves, groundstroke? coz they got more weight in them? What do u think? Please Response! Thank you!

Bungalo Bill
02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
I dont kniw, everyone responds differently to weight on the body.

I can only say, when I am about ten pounds over weight as I am now, I notice a big difference in my strokes. Moving is slower, my mind is a bit more lazy, and I have a harder time getting myself pumped up to get in the game.

But I know of some players that it doesnt seem to effect them.

For tennis, I always favor the lighter more muscles mass person. I learned in my triathlon training that even if you have muscle the weight of the muscle also demands a bunch more energy which can zap you towards the later stages.

So to answer your question with only these parameters, I would favor the 70kg guy.

Hyperstate
02-27-2004, 06:12 PM
BBoy, without going into too much detail in physics, the fatter person will have a higher level of inertia. This means that there is more resistance to overcome before movement begins! The extra weight will slow the person down in everything: running, positioning and shotmaking.

Generally, this extra element makes overweight people less effective. Muscles, of course, add weight to your body and raises the level of inertia too. However, the difference lies in the fact that muscles are useful: they directly contribute to movement. Fat is just dead weight. There must be a limit to packing on muscles as I don't think pro bodybuilders will be nimble players :lol: I don't know the optimum level though. Muscular women tennis players such as JHH, Mauresmo, Serena and male players such as Agassi, Ginepri, Schuettler and Schrichapan may hold the key.

Kobble
02-27-2004, 06:44 PM
You bring up an interesting question. It is a fact that a fatter person with the same muscle mass and strength will find it easier to lift heavier weights in the olympic lifts, because their bodyweight offsets the weight being lifted to a greater degree. Power in tennis comes more from the speed component more than the strength component, so I would give the edge to the lighter guy. He would have less weight to move vertically on the serve, and less inertia to overcome on the rest of the strokes. However, if a racquet weighed 3 lbs. I would then favor the fatter individual.

jun
02-29-2004, 01:12 PM
I agree with above.

From personal experience, fat is just dead weight. It's like a resistence...Try to run with 10lb water attached around your waist..It won't do any good for you. It won't give you power, or anything..

Once on TV (in Korea), I saw one ex korean-wrestler (kind of like somo, but different) who seemed stocky, (he probably was around 182cm and 100kg or so), ran 100m in 13 sec.

After the run, he said that he used to run 100m in 12 sec during his career (when he was fatter). These guys have quite a bit fat, as well as muscle.

mixertefera
02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
the heaver one

Drago
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
It depends very much on the body phisical conditions. No two bodies are the same, even they have equal measurements (size, weight). Every body is unique as power, stamina, speed as well as feed, metabolism and the need for rest. There is no direct relation between weight and power in the common case. Yes, in the power lifting you must be heavy to be able to compete, but the power lifters are trained top of the top athletes. In real life, a heavy person is not necessary stronger.

Once on TV (in Korea), I saw one ex korean-wrestler (kind of like somo, but different) who seemed stocky, (he probably was around 182cm and 100kg or so), ran 100m in 13 sec.
After the run, he said that he used to run 100m in 12 sec during his career (when he was fatter). These guys have quite a bit fat, as well as muscle.

Do you mean Asashoriu, a word number one Sumo wrestler ? He is the Federer of the Sumo, because now he is Number 2 :-).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asash%C5%8Dry%C5%AB_Akinori

He can run faster than me, despite its 184sm/149kg, I am 182/85kg.

LeeD
02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Running speed has NOTHING to do with tennis. In tennis you run 10 yards at most. Getting there with racket in position and footwork working towards hitting position is everything.
Changing directions is utmost important. Fat doesn't change directions.
Strong has nothing to do with tennis. Big strong guys are only big strong guys.
Fed at 6' or so, and 160lbs is not all that fat.
Now look at specs for all top players. Nobody 180 + is shorter than 6'2, or taller.
I guarantee I can beat any tennis player who's over 250 lbs.
I guarantee any 250lb'er can sit on me and crush me. Yes, I've talked to VictorAmaya.

K-LEG
02-22-2009, 12:41 PM
KE = 1/2mv²

Let's look at the forehand.

If you double the velocity of your racquet at impact (racquet-head speed) you are quadrupling your kinetic energy. That is if m stays the same.

If you quadruple the mass of the your arm you are quadrupling your kinetic energy. That is if v stays the same.

What does this all mean? If you want to increase the kinetic energy transferred to your racquet increasing your racquet head-speed will have a bigger impact the increasing the mass of your arm.

I would take more Roger Federer's racquet-head speed over Arnold Schwarzenegger's arms anyday.

Who thought I'd ever use physics to explain real life situations...LLOLLLL

LeeD
02-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Sure, and some weak guys use their armstrength to stroke thru the ball.
And some muscleheads grip loosely, and let the racket do all the work.
But get rid of the excess fat, the one that slows your direction changes, and keeps you from employing full strokes with good shoulder turn and footwork.

NamRanger
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
The leaner and more fit guy will win out. Gulbis is not a strong or muscular guy by any means when you are comparing him to someone like Sergio Olivia, Jay Cutler, or Ronnie Coleman (bodybuilders), however he can hit the living snot out of the ball because he is lean, has alot of leverage due to his limbs, and can generate tremendous racquet head speed (due to his limbs/lean body) while maintaining good form.