PDA

View Full Version : shortening a Volkl ....

DXS
12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Is it possible to cut down the length of a Volkl BB-10. I've been wondering about the sensor handle and the grip pallet. Will this be the standard way of cutting it down.

Thanks,
David

jonolau
12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Why do you want to shorten the stick?

DXS
12-29-2005, 09:30 AM
I've always played with 27in sticks. I struggle with the extra length with this racket at times.
-ds

ChicagoJack
12-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Forgive me for mentioning the obvious, but you could just choke up a bit on the grip. This is something that hardly ever gets a mention, but can be really effective. I do it out of habit now in certain situations such as all four players up at net, or as net player on my partners 2nd serve. This makes the frame way more manuerverable in reaction type situations.

You'd miss feel of the end bevel, if you want to do this as a long term solution. You could just build up the bevel, extend it down the handle a 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so with tape under the grip.

-Jack

NoBadMojo
12-29-2005, 02:29 PM
DXS sure you can cut this frame down. Just make sure you use a good fine toothed sawblade. You will be cutting through the pallet and the handle which has a crossmember in it. The pallets can be easy to crack so just make sure you are using the right saw blade and that it is sharp. if it comes out a bit crooked, you can touch it up with a file. I know I could never get used to choking up on a racquet..i'm so used to the butt resting in my palm at the same position, where it's rested for the last 25years or so, but diff strokes for diff folks.

rich s
12-29-2005, 03:26 PM
IF you use a hacksaw you want a blade that is 32 teeth per inch and you only want to apply pressure on the forward stroke (that is provided you have installed your blade properlly in your hacksaw). If you try to cut on the backstroke too you increase the chances of damaging the pallets as Mojo has pointed out.

rich

DXS
12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I cut it down .6 inches to make it an even 27. I tried to get used the extra length, but never could. NBMJ, I also like the feel of the butt of the racket in my palm so choking up was not really an option for me either.

It was very easy to cut down. Here is what I also did to handle the weight shifting due to the shorter length.

1. cut off .6 inches.
2. add 3 grams to the butt cap before reinstalling it.
3. wrapped 8 grams around the handle.
4. added a fairway leather grip (hard to find).
5. added 1 tournagrip wrap.
6. added 3 grams to 9/3 o'clock
7. added 3 grams to 10/2 o'clock

And the most important question......

How did it play.

I gave me the consistancy I was looking for.

My servers were more accurate. I don't have a ton of spin on my serve. Just enough to help control. I did not notice any less spin.

Groundstrokes: They were very accurate. I seemed to have lost a little power, but I do not need a very powerful stick. So that part was perfect. I seemed to be able to hit my 2 hbh down the line much easier than before. I also could hit sharper angles going cross court.

Volleys: Perfect. Was the other are, besides my serve, that suffered with the longer frame. The ball going exactly were I was wanting it and with a solid punch.

The feel was the thing I liked the best. It seemed to make the sweet spot huge on this stick. Everything felt very pure. I would compare it to a more flexable Wilson Ncode tour 90 with a larger head size.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I have to try to match up my other frames to this one.
David

NoBadMojo
12-29-2005, 09:04 PM
cool beans DNX..you've got a sweet setup.

jonolau
12-30-2005, 12:30 AM
I have a friend who has just shortened one of his racquets (can't recall the brand or model) and to prevent the pallet from cracking, he drew a line round the handle at the desired length, used an electric drill to make holes along the line (with a very fine drill bit), used a hacksaw to cut off the excess and filed it down. It came out looking like a very professional job.

mctennis
12-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Have it professionally done so it plays the same. If not you have a SELF modified racquet that no ones wants when you are done with it.It costs more than using a hacksaw but you will have a professionally altered racquet that they can make close to what you like not something you'll have to keep messing with and perhaps not be happy with. IMHO.

jonolau
12-31-2005, 06:27 PM
In the first place, if you're willing to do any major surgery on your racquet, I assume you're mentally prepared for the consequences of a botched job.