PDA

View Full Version : Trial customizations of my N-six one 95

pistolpeege
12-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi There, (Story first, pics later !)

As I play with light balls on pretty fast surfaces, along with the fact I swing hard, I have been stringing tighter for control these past few months.

So I decided to toy with weight in my N-six one 95's, to give back some of the sting I seem to have lost.

Tomorrow see's me with 12 grams in the tip. The day after I'll try 3 & 9 o clock etc etc.

So to avoid waiting for a string time, and lead tape, I've come up with the following as a tryout.

Using Wilson Swing weights, and some head protector tape.

The swing weights are adhesive, but the frame shape will not allow 100% proper application. The wrapping of cut head tape is to make sure i'm not plucking swing weights from my opponents forehead, although the thought does appeal to me somewhat..

The whole idea of this saga is to find out where i like the weight, and then add some proper lead.

Will let ye know how I get on..

Pistol

http://www.pdsil.com/tennis/weights.jpg
http://www.pdsil.com/tennis/added2.jpg
http://www.pdsil.com/tennis/full.jpg

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 01:29 PM

As I play with light balls on pretty fast surfaces, along with the fact I swing hard, I have been stringing tighter for control these past few months.

So I decided to toy with weight in my N-six one 95's, to give back some of the sting I seem to have lost.

Tomorrow see's me with 12 grams in the tip. The day after I'll try 3 & 9 o clock etc etc.

So to avoid waiting for a string time, and lead tape, I've come up with the following as a tryout.

Using Wilson Swing weights, and some head protector tape.

The swing weights are adhesive, but the frame shape will not allow 100% proper application. The wrapping of cut head tape is to make sure i'm not plucking swing weights from my opponents forehead, although the thought does appeal to me somewhat..

The whole idea of this saga is to find out where i like the weight, and then add some proper lead.

Will let ye know how I get on..

Pistol

http://www.pdsil.com/tennis/weights.jpg
http://www.pdsil.com/tennis/added2.jpg
http://www.pdsil.com/tennis/full.jpg

I find this racquet extremely heavy....I would not add any weight. Rather, what I have done is play with the shape of the handle. By changinging the shape , I now hit with far more power and control. I added a piece of foam to the handle called a "wedge". Chek it out at www.tennisgeometrics.com , you will not believe the difference it makes!...but it will take quite some time to get used to.

pistolpeege
12-29-2005, 11:25 PM
I find this racquet extremely heavy....I would not add any weight. Rather, what I have done is play with the shape of the handle. By changinging the shape , I now hit with far more power and control. I added a piece of foam to the handle called a "wedge". Chek it out at www.tennisgeometrics.com , you will not believe the difference it makes!...but it will take quite some time to get used to.

Sorry, but I dont know how the wedge will add power to a stroke?

Am I missing something?

Pistol

jonolau
12-30-2005, 12:16 AM

Just curious, are you suffering from control on groundstrokes, control on all strokes or control on using too much lead tape?

Just kidding on the last one. If it's stability you want on groundstrokes, you might be better off putting it at 3 & 9. IMO, by placing at the top of the hoop, it will definitely give you more power on serves.

ShooterMcMarco
12-30-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't know about that setup man. I've experimented with 4 grams at 12 like you did and my serve suffered. Then I tried 3 & 9 and didn't feel too much of a difference. So I returned to playing stock. If you like it, then kudos, but don't make any final judgements until you've hit every stroke.

pistolpeege
12-30-2005, 12:44 AM
or control on using too much lead tape?

LOL :D

Not suffering any control problems luckily.

The combination on the 95's, pro hurricane, and high tensions is suiting me perfectly.

Just looking to experiment with weight, may end up not using any.

The idea of this thread is to share my method, in case anyone else is thinking of the same thing.

Its quick and easy, and doesnt involve much tinkering.

Plus can be removed on court if need be...

Thanks for the view on the 12 o clock position though.

Pistol

pistolpeege
12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't know about that setup man. I've experimented with 4 grams at 12 like you did and my serve suffered. Then I tried 3 & 9 and didn't feel too much of a difference. So I returned to playing stock. If you like it, then kudos, but don't make any final judgements until you've hit every stroke.

12 grams is starting to sound like a lot then !!

Or maybe you needed more than 4?

Pistol

ShooterMcMarco
12-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Nah man, i definitely felt the difference at 4g. I might try with weight again, but thats when the weather gets better =) I'll try 10 & 2 with some in the handle, or maybe try with weight only in the handle. I like to experiment also, even though the racquet plays pretty well stock.

pistolpeege
12-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Thats cool Shooter, what do you use by the way? 95's?

Pistol

The Pusher Terminator
12-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Sorry, but I dont know how the wedge will add power to a stroke?

Am I missing something?

Pistol

Yes you are...in fact most people miss this fact so don't feel bad....you are in very good company. The shape of your grip has more affect on how you hit a ball than the type of strings or the type of Racquet. Don't believe me?...Just read tennis magazine...they said the same thing ...I think just 2 months ago. Just go to www.tennis.com and put in a search on grip shape and you will find the article.

The way you hold your racquet and the shape of the grip will change the entire angle of the ball. It will give you more spin, control and power. I bet you that if you bought the wedge it would take you sx months to learn how to play with it because you would be spraying the balls way out...I know I did.

The wedge gives you leverage...it "powers up" all your strokes. My serves are booming. I'm telling you give it a shot. You may not like it...but I bet you will agree that you have way more power. Your only issue will be: Whetehr you can you control all that increased power. Go to www.tennisgeometrics.com and read Bugalo Bills testimonial. He is pretty respected on this board.

TW should test it out and do a review...I'm telling this gadget is awesome. I do not work for the company or anything...I am just a huge fan. Nothing has changed my game more than this tiny little gadget. I am still learning everyday and I have had it for a year. I am hitting strokes I never knew I had! For example...I always had a two handed bh...now with the increased power I can hit a one handed backhand....and my bh volleys are now huge! Ovberheads are booming.....For 10 bucks how can you go wrong!

pistolpeege
12-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks Terminator,

I'm guessing it would take a lot to get used to grip changes with the wedge.

But I get the whole leverage idea now...

But I'll pass all the same,

Thanks though

Pistol

STMike79
12-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Peege, I'm in the same boat as yourself, recently moved to the n6.1 95(16x18) from the Original PS 6.0 95. Basically I've yet to swing anything as well balanced as the original, but I'm trying to get the new n6.1 95 to "feel" exactly like the PS6.0 original. Thus far I've gotten the weights exactly the same (355g) with both right around 10pts HL. I can't help but feel that the newer n6.1 95 "feels" a bit less manuverable, even the way I have it setup, but I am getting close to the same swingweight feel, here's my setup:
Wilson Leather Grip w/ Wilson Pro Overgrip
3/9o'clock ~ 1.25g
Butt cap ~ 2g This combo -> 355g ~10pts HL

Any comments on this setup are welcome :)

pistolpeege
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi STmike,

Do you have 1.25 grams on each side? total of 2.5 at 3 and 9 o clock

Pistol

ShooterMcMarco
12-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Thats cool Shooter, what do you use by the way? 95's?

Pistol

yeah, both my racquets are 95, the ncode and ps original. my ps original is leaded a lot at 9 & 3 and the handle, but my ncode is stock. kind of strange, but i have no problem switching between them.

pistolpeege
12-31-2005, 01:55 AM
Well the verdict is in...

12 grams is waaayy too much for this racket. Could not time it at all.

Gonna start with 3 grams, at 3 and 9 o clock.

Work from there...

Pistol

ShooterMcMarco
12-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Well the verdict is in...

12 grams is waaayy too much for this racket. Could not time it at all.

Gonna start with 3 grams, at 3 and 9 o clock.

Work from there...

Pistol

see, told ya, even 4 grams is noticeable right away at that position =P