PDA

View Full Version : Who's right TW or Wilson?

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
TW says that the Wilson Ncode Nsix-one 90 is 10 points headlight. But if you look at the specs written on the racquet you will see that Wilson indicates that the racquet s actually 12 points headlight.

I called TW to see if this was merely a typo. They told me that they measured it themselves and it is in fact only 10 points head light. Who's right?

nViATi
12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
The Wilson spec is probably unstrung. All of TW's specs are strung.

Sixpointone
12-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Pusher,

My guess is that in this case both parties are actually correct.

Meaning that there are manufacturing tolerances/differences within Tennis Racquets.

As such it is entirely possible that each party, Wilson and Tennis Warehouse, measured the Frame accurately. Yet due to the tolerances each one was slightly different.

For that reason I have had some of my Racquets matched to the same specs.

Also for that reason, if ordering multiples of the same Frame from a place like TW I feel it is always a good thumb to ask them to select ones matched as closely as possible.

Hope that helps,
John

buder
12-29-2005, 07:32 PM
the margin of error in frame production is staggering. I've been spec'ing frames on a machine and cannot believe the variations.

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Pusher,

My guess is that in this case both parties are actually correct.

Meaning that there are manufacturing tolerances/differences within Tennis Racquets.

As such it is entirely possible that each party, Wilson and Tennis Warehouse, measured the Frame accurately. Yet due to the tolerances each one was slightly different.

For that reason I have had some of my Racquets matched to the same specs.

Also for that reason, if ordering multiples of the same Frame from a place like TW I feel it is always a good thumb to ask them to select ones matched as closely as possible.

Hope that helps,
John

I know all about matching racquets...and you may be correct. But I dont think thats what is going on here. TW is saying that the standard is 10 points.

Sixpointone
12-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Pusher,

Perhaps if you pose this question to Tennis Warehouse on the "TW Questions/Comments" Forum they would be able to shed more light on this topic.

Regards,
John

The Pusher Terminator
12-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Pusher,

Perhaps if you pose this question to Tennis Warehouse on the "TW Questions/Comments" Forum they would be able to shed more light on this topic.

Regards,
John

Good point. Would you like to go for it...I'm lazy. But maybe later.

Sixpointone
12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Pusher,

I am going to be heading off to bed, so I will pass on posing this question to TW.

Having said that, if you do happen to post there I will keep an eye open for their reply.

Regards,
John

kinsella
12-29-2005, 09:29 PM
TW measures several real racquets in their inventory -- last time I heard from them, it was 5-6. There are many times that TW's measure of the real production varies from the manufacturer's posted specs.

BreakPoint
12-29-2005, 10:57 PM
TW says that the Wilson Ncode Nsix-one 90 is 10 points headlight. But if you look at the specs written on the racquet you will see that Wilson indicates that the racquet s actually 12 points headlight.

I called TW to see if this was merely a typo. They told me that they measured it themselves and it is in fact only 10 points head light. Who's right?

That's because ALL the specs that are printed on Wilson's (and most other brands, as well) frames are for UNSTRUNG. That's because they don't know what kind of strings you're going to put in the frame. Some strings are heavier than others. For example, thicker (smaller gauge) strings are heavier than thinner strings, and polyester strings are heavier than nylon strings. String weight can also vary by construction and manufacturer.

ALL the racquet specs on TW's description pages are for STRUNG racquets. That's where the difference comes from.

BTW, string the racquet typically adds 3 pts. to the balance, so if it's 12 pts. HL unstrung, it really should be around 9 pts. HL strung.

SteveI
12-30-2005, 03:20 AM
TW measures several real racquets in their inventory -- last time I heard from them, it was 5-6. There are many times that TW's measure of the real production varies from the manufacturer's posted specs.

Hi,

Yes.. that is right. Last time I called and asked the guys at TW that was the case. They measure 5-6 and post the average. Also, Wilson has posted their specs as unstrung. I have seen on the inserts on some Wilson frames, the specs listed both strung and unstrung. Yes.. the specs can vary quite a bit from frame to frame and TW will do their best to match frame for you.

Regards,
Steve

slice bh compliment
12-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Yeh.
Well, this one goes to eleven.

{This is Spinal Tap}

The Pusher Terminator
12-30-2005, 06:15 AM
That's because ALL the specs that are printed on Wilson's (and most other brands, as well) frames are for UNSTRUNG. That's because they don't know what kind of strings you're going to put in the frame. Some strings are heavier than others. For example, thicker (smaller gauge) strings are heavier than thinner strings, and polyester strings are heavier than nylon strings. String weight can also vary by construction and manufacturer.

ALL the racquet specs on TW's description pages are for STRUNG racquets. That's where the difference comes from.

BTW, string the racquet typically adds 3 pts. to the balance, so if it's 12 pts. HL unstrung, it really should be around 9 pts. HL strung.

Well if you follow that line of logic then how does TW know the weight of the strings that you will use?

Richie Rich
12-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Well if you follow that line of logic then how does TW know the weight of the strings that you will use?

if you follow the logic different string may +/- 1 pt depending on the string. if unstrung is 12 pts hl and avg string is 9 pt hl you may get 8 pts hl with a kevlar or poly string. i don't think too many people can tell diff between +/- 1 pt change in balance.

Tchocky
12-30-2005, 07:44 AM
I have an nCode Six-One 95 and the racquet says it's 12 points head light but TW says it's 10 points head light.

Ripper
12-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Just measure it yourself!

Michelangelo
12-30-2005, 09:59 AM
The spec on the racket is (usually) unstrung since the user can choose various strings he/she likes and strings do vary in weight (gauge, material). On the other hand, (I believe) TW measures the spec among 4 to 5 rackets of the same model and calculate the average numbers.

BreakPoint
12-30-2005, 02:15 PM

They are giving you an average, which I think is more useful than either nothing or the unstrung spec, wouldn't you agree? After all, you don't play with your racquet unstrung do you, so the strung specs are really what matter to you, right? When you buy a frame, that manufacturer is only selling you a frame, and you can choose whatever strings you want to put in it, so why should the frame manufacturer care to give you the strung specs? You bought the frame unstrung so the specs on the frame are naturally unstrung. Sounds logical to me.

SteveI
12-31-2005, 10:19 AM
They are giving you an average, which I think is more useful than either nothing or the unstrung spec, wouldn't you agree? After all, you don't play with your racquet unstrung do you, so the strung specs are really what matter to you, right? When you buy a frame, that manufacturer is only selling you a frame, and you can choose whatever strings you want to put in it, so why should the frame manufacturer care to give you the strung specs? You bought the frame unstrung so the specs on the frame are naturally unstrung. Sounds logical to me.

BreakPoint,

The TW folks give us an average.. and BTW.. the differance in string weight of strings could produce maybe a + or - 1 point of balance and 5-10 grams of static weight diff. Sorry but I can't detect 5 gms or 1 point.. I am not that good of player. AA or Fed ..might be able to.. but the average 4.0 player.. no way. Have a great day!

Steve

The Pusher Terminator
12-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Just measure it yourself!

How?

The Pusher Terminator
12-31-2005, 12:23 PM

Actually it is confusing. TW really should simply say (9 points headlight strung). Here is my problem: I have hit the best serves and volleys with the Ncode 90. My problem is everything else! I cannot sem to hit a return of serve or solid ground strokes with the Ncode 90...but again...the serves and volleys are perfect!!! So i tried to fix the problem by creating my own custom racuet on the Vantage website. However, I am confused... Do i use unstrung balance or strung balance to attempt to make the pefect racquet. Vantage(Racquetmax) told me to mail in my Ncode and they will measure my particular racquet. next he said that the problem he says that I have is that the sweet zone on the Ncode 90 is too demanding for me on groundies and return of serve. He says that they will increase the head size and recreate the balance etc of my particular ncode 90. The problem is that there is no way to actually know the balance unless you literally weigh my individual racquet. UGHHHHH! I do not know if they will look at unstrung balance or strung balance (I never even knew this was done!)...but who cares...its their problem now...lol.

ChronicSlice
12-31-2005, 12:58 PM
yes, the wilsons are for unstrung

Or...you could just measure it...

Speedy_tennis
12-31-2005, 10:35 PM
The Wilson spec is probably unstrung. All of TW's specs are strung.
I agree with nViati