PDA

View Full Version : Who uses their fav players racquet?

Duzza
12-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I was just wondering how many people out there use theyre favourite players racquet just for the reason that they like them. I know i was thinking about getting fed's racquet for that reason but didnt in the end.

bennieboi
12-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I was just wondering how many people out there use theyre favourite players racquet just for the reason that they like them. I know i was thinking about getting fed's racquet for that reason but didnt in the end.

me, i'm using the slaz x1 pro, because that kidd benney uses it, he's totally awesome! i'd pay big money to see federer try to beat ben, that boys too good! and dude, that's a really horrible reason to get a racquet, get a racquet that suits your playing style, not because a pro has it.

jonolau
12-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Not at all. Personally it's the racquet technology that get me going (eg. Flexpoint etc.). Anyway, most pros' racquets are not the same as off-the-shelf models and are specially customized for them.

Muse
12-29-2005, 11:53 PM

I should hope no one's doing this. You're just cheating yourself if you're using a stick that isn't suited for your game.

BreakPoint
12-29-2005, 11:54 PM

I'm a bit confused. When you say "them", are you referring to the pro or the racquet?

So are you asking if people use a certain racquet only because their favorite pro uses it or because they like the racquet and it just so happens that their favorite pro also uses it?

goosala
12-29-2005, 11:58 PM
I use the Pro Staff Original 85 because all of my favorite players during the 80's and 90's used it. Sampras, Courier, Edberg, and that hottie Mary Pierce. Really, there were so few good players frames during the 80's that the Pro Staff was THE choice. The Prince Graphite was the other good frame but others just went by the wayside. Here are some player's frames from the 80's that I remember: Prince Spectrum Comp, Boron, Graphite Pro, Power Pro, Magnesium Pro, Head Graphite Pro, Wilson Ceramic, Kneissl Star frames, Rossignol, Bard frames, Donnay, and don't forget the Dunlop Max 200G.

AndrewD
12-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Really, there were so few good players frames during the 80's that the Pro Staff was THE choice. The Prince Graphite was the other good frame but others just went by the wayside. Here are some player's frames from the 80's that I remember: Prince Spectrum Comp, Boron, Graphite Pro, Power Pro, Magnesium Pro, Head Graphite Pro, Wilson Ceramic, Kneissl Star frames, Rossignol, Bard frames, Donnay, and don't forget the Dunlop Max 200G.

goosala,

You were being sarcastic, weren't you?

The ProStaff was a good racquet but back in the 80's there were so many good frames we were spoilt for choice, unlike today. Some of those you mentioned were fantastic racquets, especially the Prince Spectrum and Mag Pro (the Graphite Pro was also a great frame). The Rossignol F200 was an excellent racquet and I loved the 200G (used one for about 10 years). The Snauwert Hi-Ten 50 was a top notch racquet, although not widely known and the Puma range weren't too bad either. I guess you'd also find a number of Yonex R-22 and R-23 fans.

Only one on your list that I tried and genuinely hated was the Wilson Ceramic mid: just never liked the feel of that one.

roddick_rulz
12-30-2005, 07:27 AM
The pro uses a racquet that fits their game. Find one that fits yours. Usually little kids use the racquet of their favourite pro.

fishuuuuu
12-30-2005, 07:42 AM
I use an Instinct kindof like Gasquet's ... it won't give me his backhand ... but it's not to say it didn't improve my backhand =P

RiosTheGenius
12-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Rios' RDti-50 suits me great and that's what I play with, nice coincidence... it's only the PJ though, as it is well known that he played with the RD-7 all along and the Power10 before it and a POG before it. ..... so yeah, I play with Rios' paint jobby and I'm loving it. costumized a bit though.... lead tape, mixed strings and tensions.

LafayetteHitter
12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
I do in a way. In order to play my best tennis all the time I watch whatever matches are on TV. Then I figure out what racquet the winner of the finals uses and I buy that and I start winning. I've never played better tennis! lol

hummer23
12-30-2005, 11:02 AM
The first real racquet i had, was the original radical oversize, becasue agassi used it. It turned out ot be a great choice for me, very solid and forgiving. From then on, i parted ways with andre, i'd liek to think of it as he didnt copy me anymore, and ive been using racquets that suite my game. its not such a bad thing to do, if it will motivate you to play, but a pro's frame shouldnt be the determing factor in what rqcquet you choose.

VGP
12-30-2005, 05:55 PM
I use a Wilson PS 85 ONLY because Stefan Edberg used it. Been using it for 13 years.

It's cool that I started liking Pete Sampras too.

Getting those Sampras "O" shock absorbers really worked wonders. A few years back when I started using these, I coincidentally moved up from 1.5 to 2.0.

Don't get me started on the improvement I experienced when I started using Tournagrip.

All this time, it's kinda funny how I keep framing the ball and can't get more than two or three shots into the court...

...maybe I should add long strips of lead tape to 3 and 9 o'clock...

...then...watch out!

jck01
12-30-2005, 10:09 PM
The pro uses a racquet that fits their game. Find one that fits yours. Usually little kids use the racquet of their favourite pro.

I like Gustavo and Muster but that's not the reason I use Head PT 280. I use the Head PT 280 because I like the feel of it. I also use Volkl C10 ProTour and I just started using my Head Ti.Classic again. I don't think any pros are using or have used either of those two racquets.

armand
12-31-2005, 12:27 AM
If you like a player enough, not only will you use the same racquet as them, but you'll begin to play like them too. So it all works out in the end. Full circle. Chicken and the egg. Etc.

AngeloDS
12-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I don't :(. Go Peng, heh ;)!

gurj_v
12-31-2005, 06:12 AM
I used to use the RDX mid and I only bought it because it suited my game, not because Hewitt uses it!!! I now have an Aeropro Drive, and Nadal is NOT in my top 3 players.

chungthomas
01-02-2006, 12:44 AM
I use Lindsay Davenport's nTour 95, but I just didn't pick it because I like her. It was because I tested a few racquets and I found I like the nTour the most.

tennis4losers
01-02-2006, 12:55 AM
:mrgreen: The pro uses a racquet that fits their game. Find one that fits yours. Usually little kids use the racquet of their favourite pro.

lol thats what I had in mind.

El Diablo
01-02-2006, 04:11 AM
More fun to be the role model than to have one. A few years ago I played one of those "in the zone" matches and really beat up on a guy at the indoor club I frequent. He noticed my Volkl racquet cover and showed up the next week with a Volkl that he thought resembled mine. Had he been more observant he would have noticed I was using a HPS 6.1, and only had a Volkl cover because the 6.1 didn't come with a cover.

jonolau
01-02-2006, 06:09 AM
More fun to be the role model than to have one. A few years ago I played one of those "in the zone" matches and really beat up on a guy at the indoor club I frequent. He noticed my Volkl racquet cover and showed up the next week with a Volkl that he thought resembled mine. Had he been more observant he would have noticed I was using a HPS 6.1, and only had a Volkl cover because the 6.1 didn't come with a cover.
That's really showing respect ....

Robbie_1988
01-03-2006, 12:42 AM
I am completely guilty of using my Favourite Player's frame. I used the Pro Staff Tour 90 because of federer and then also the Nsix One Tour 90 also because of federer. But then i must admit, when i first started playing with the Pro Staff Tour 90 i realised how crap i am and after playing for a year with that racket it made me a better player because i was forced to concentrate more in order to not frame the ball and i began to take a longer and fuller swing at the ball. Still frame occasionally these days but I don't regret playing with my favourite player's frame now.

wyutani
05-13-2006, 02:53 AM
my first ever racquet was a YONEX...its not my fav players racquet, i bought it cos it have the same letter "Y" name as me...Yutani = Yonex, get it? then i converted to babolat cos im a roddick's fan...

ShcMad
05-13-2006, 04:52 AM
I use an Instinct kindof like Gasquet's ... it won't give me his backhand ... but it's not to say it didn't improve my backhand =P

Well, I use an XL Instinct and I WILL SAY that it gave me a backhand like Gasquet's...sort of!!! :p

Rasta
05-13-2006, 06:30 AM
You might find a better fit in racquets if you demo some that people at your skill level are using successfully. Find the best two or three players on your team or in your group and try what they use.

knasty131
05-13-2006, 07:51 AM
If you like a player enough, not only will you use the same racquet as them, but you'll begin to play like them too. So it all works out in the end. Full circle. Chicken and the egg. Etc.

Thats what I was thinking. Usually people like certain players because they resemble their style of play (except ALOT better lol)...but to answer the question...I dont know any pro who used the HPS 7.1...My favorite player is federer but only because he is so smooth and graceful...something i WANT to be...but i wont get his racket to do so, im going to work on my footwork

tennissavy
05-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I use Lindsay Davenport's nTour 95, but I just didn't pick it because I like her. It was because I tested a few racquets and I found I like the nTour the most.
I'm glad that the ntour suits you. LD doesn't actually use it and never has used it but she does have that paintjob.

marcus_alsager
05-13-2006, 02:07 PM
if i had the racket that my favourite player had i would have an aero pro drive, i have a pure drive which suits my game and the aeropro is practically the same but a bit better. i am thinkin bout switchin to it not cus nadal uses it but cus it suits my game, or i might get a head lm/flexpoint prestige :D

rounick
05-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think that getting your favourite athlete's equipment is such a bad idea,depends a little on why someone is your favourite.I tend to go with athletes that remind me of myself,people I have something in common with,and it has proven to be a good choice of equipment in tennis and windsurfing for me.