PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Buy Box to Ship Racquet?

ccelis
12-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Not sure where to put this post, but where do you people who ship racquets get your boxes at? Preferably the best prices.

Thanks

NoBadMojo
12-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Go to the US Post Office and get two Priority Mail boxes..You will need two of them. They are free (free is a good price). Connect the two boxes and you have a great racquet shipping box.

vinky
12-30-2005, 12:34 PM
hey, not a bad idea

nViATi
12-30-2005, 12:36 PM
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/y200/m12/abu0028/s04

jayserinos99
12-30-2005, 12:38 PM
besides the free method nobadmojo mentioned, your local tennis shop should have racquet boxes lying around they can hook you up with at times.

thejuice
12-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Go to the US Post Office and get two Priority Mail boxes..You will need two of them. They are free (free is a good price). Connect the two boxes and you have a great racquet shipping box.

Not only are the boxes free but the USPS is cheaper than both UPS and FedEx to ship your packages IMO.

DANMAN
12-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Fedex home delivery has been great for me. I keep all the boxes for the rackets I buy so I don't need to get boxes, but I have shipped rackets around the country for right around $5.00...much better than the hassle of the USPS and slightly better with respect to price.

jck01
12-30-2005, 03:17 PM
That's what I did to ship 20+ racquets in 2005 and had no problems. Just make sure you cushion the racquet a little bit with crumpled newspaper.

Make sure you get the right priority mail box (12-1/8" x 13-3/8" x 2-3/4"). I once got a box that's slightly larger than what I normally used and the guy at the post office told me that I have to pay $20 or $30 to ship it (because it's considered too large to be a priority mail). Outrageous!

ccelis
12-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info , I wantall over tonight and could find the right size at officeMax or Office Depot. I will try the post office.

thanks

Ronaldo
12-30-2005, 04:23 PM
cc, ckout the trash at any local tennis pro shop, found boxes and those cool plastic bags that cover the racquets. Tough to climb out of the dumpster though.

Michelangelo
12-30-2005, 05:35 PM
2 Priority Mail boxes from post office with old newspaper stuffed inside is the easiest way to go. However, you can try to ask your local tennis stores to see if they have boxes containing the rackets shipped from factory.

NoBadMojo
12-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Ronaldo it isn't so tough to climb out of the dumpster if you're used to sleeping in there...;O

Ronaldo
12-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Mojo, opened a dumpster and the cans and bottles started moving. Closed the top and jumped back, expected a possum or raccoon. Guy climbs out, all cut from the cans. Mining for gold, eh?

mctennis
12-31-2005, 12:10 PM
I use two of the Priority shipping boxes at the USPS. Close the ends and tape the middle of the boxes together. It is a perfect fit or any size racquet.

gfdoto
10-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can I walk into the post office, get some boxes, and walk out and come back with them later, taped together? Or should I be bringing duct tape to the post office? Thanks. :)

BiGGieStuFF
10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Not only are the boxes free but the USPS is cheaper than both UPS and FedEx to ship your packages IMO.

And they deliver on Saturday at no extra cost BUT my biggest caveat about them is their tracking system. Do their drivers never scan the items? I mean most of my stuff that gets shipped by them just says "electronic shipping info received" for days and then I'll just get it a few days down the line w/o even knowing where the package was.

vkartikv
10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Use USPS priority mail shipping boxes. You will need to join two of them joined as one. Priority mail is the cheapest and most efficient. UPS is the worst and takes the longest.

Ronaldo
10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can I walk into the post office, get some boxes, and walk out and come back with them later, taped together? Or should I be bringing duct tape to the post office? Thanks. :)
Last week asked for the boxes, and priority tape dispenser, taped the boxes together in the lobby, and shipped a racquet. However, one post office will not insure a package like that.

andrew_b
10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I, too, have used 2 priority mail boxes taped together to send many a racket. You might want to cut the extra flaps and some of the box off the "inside" one. Priority mail goes by ounce, the first time I sent a racket it was 13.1 ounces, removing some extra cardboard got me below the cut-off.

Also, make sure to get the regular priority mail boxes, not the flat-rate boxes. They won't take the flat-rate boxes if they're taped together.

As to the question about USPS scanning stuff - the difference is that the service they provide is delivery confirmation, not tracking. Thus, it shows delivered after it's been delivered (a couple times I've actually seen the package progress prior to delivery, but it's rare). You can't get tracking with Priority Mail, AFAIK, you need a different method.

Play well,
Andrew

Dr. Van Nostrand
10-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Those USPS boxes work good as long as you ship through USPS. The UPS store near me won't ship anything via UPS that is packed in those USPS boxes.

andrew_b
10-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Those USPS boxes work good as long as you ship through USPS. The UPS store near me won't ship anything via UPS that is packed in those USPS boxes.

Good point.