PDA

View Full Version : Should I Re-Grip in the Other Direction?

adamvann
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm a lefty, would there be any "real" benefit for me to have my replacement grips applied to my racquets on the opposing direction instead how they come stock (for a right-handed person)?

Thanks!

Aeropro joe
12-30-2005, 02:55 PM
im lefty and i wrap them the other way but it doesnt bother me too bad if i play with a frame that is wrapped for a rightie, it just feels tighter in my hand when i wrap it the other direction

jck01
12-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I always left the grip in the same direction as it was originally on even though I'm a lefty. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm sure there are some lefties out there that actually re-grips it in the correct direction because it bothers them. If you don't have problems with it, you shouldn't worry about it.

Sixpointone
12-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Adam,

It all boils down to what feels most comfortable to you.

I have a friend of mine whose Racquet I recently regripped Left Handed. He seems to prefer it. Having said that, if you prefer it Right Handed, there is nothing wrong with that either.

I would suggest your trying it Left Handed, and if you like it you can keep it that way. And worst comes to worst you can always change it back to the way it was.

Hope that helps,
John

Ronaldo
12-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Cover it with a What-a-grip

Michelangelo
12-30-2005, 05:33 PM
You can, just a bit difference of feel. However, you'd better pay attention to the length of the new replacement grip as its starting end is pre-cut to taper for easy starting. So if you wrap it the other way, you need to cut that portion off and make the starting taper portion yourself. However, this might end up with shortage of grip if your racket is equipped with long handle (like Prince longbody and so forth).

adamvann
12-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm bringing 3 standard length racquets to a stringer that will also change out the grips. I'll try it on one initially to see which I like better. He only charges $4 for grip replacement.

Aeropro joe
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
$4? that includes the price of he grip right? cuz i wouldnt waste 4 bucks on having him wrap it its not that hard you can take ur 4 bucks and buy some tennis balls

Michelangelo
12-30-2005, 07:33 PM
$4? that includes the price of he grip right? cuz i wouldnt waste 4 bucks on having him wrap it its not that hard you can take ur 4 bucks and buy some tennis balls

Yeah! That's what I wonder as well. US$4 for the replacement grip and labor would be great deal; but US$4 for labor is really @#$%^&* !

adamvann
12-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I should probably do it myself huh? I haven't done one yet, but how hard could it be. BTW I asked the wifey for a Klippermate for my B-day. I don't want to keep paying to have this dude restring my stuff for $14 per stick. I did the math on 3 sticks and it would pay for itself pretty quickly. But when you don't know how or don't want to, I guess you've got to pay up. Anyway that's for a different section.

adamvann
12-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh and especially since I'm so obssesive about my stuff...If he didn't do it to my satisfaction then I would be pizzed off.

bcaz
12-30-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm lefty and I think it feels better to have the grips wrapped lefty, but if you use overgrips (I do) and wrap them lefty, you may not notice the way the grip is wrapped underneath.