PDA

View Full Version : Tried 2 of the new n-codes today... (First impressions)

joegerardi
06-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Whilst taking a tennis lesson this morning, the Wilson rep showed up. My coach is the Director of Tennis for the City of Savannah, so he had to stop. The rep was mainly interested in showing off the new balls Wilson is coming out, but I asked about the n codes. He had them in the car, and brought them out on court. Now, I only got a few minutes with them, (more with the 6.1 than the n5) so these are *VERY* quick impressions...

First off: The N5-
This is going to be very subjective. I play ProStaff 6.0 85's so this is not the kind of stick I would play. Having said that, it was pretty stable for a game improvement/tweener stick. It had a good sized sweetspot, and was relatively controlable. It only took about a half-dozen swings to get the feel and start to keep them in the court. The rep's indication was that this is the nCode Triad version. I felt it played much better than the LM4 or LM8.

nSix-One Tour 90:
I looked forward to getting my hands on this one, being a 6.0 85 player. The first thing I noticed is how light it feels. That's not to say how light it IS, but how it FEELS. It has some heft to it, but seems to be a bit "whippy" when manuvering it around. It did feel well-balanced, and didn't really feel like I was holding a butterfly net, which was what the n5 felt like.

Serves
The first thing I did was try to serve with it. It felt similar to the 85 in motion, except that it didn't have the same feel of mass as I brought up the stick to hit the ball. There was some good pop on the serve, and with a little time, I'm sure I could get used to it, and serve as well as with the 6.0

Groundstrokes:
Here is where the "whippiness" hurt it. I was consistently early on the forehands, even when trying to lay back and wait a heartbeat longer. Its sweetspot is considerably larger than the 6.0, so I could get away with off-center hits (and being so early on the ball, there WERE a few of them!) but when I did connect well, it was again reminiscent of the 6.0. On the backhand side, it just plain felt good. I was able to add a long finish to my strokes, and my aim was actually a little better than with the 6.0

Volleys:
The big test of any stick with the name ProStaff on it... This is where the light feel worked best. Pulling the handle around for volleys felt very comfortable, and it felt quite stable. My coach has a habit of blasting balls at me to volley, and I got confident returning them with authority very quickly. It's a good stick for volleying.

Serve Returns:
Again here, the whippiness hurts it. I could get the bat in the way of the ball quickly, but it was hard to control the return, and to set it back over the net where and how I wanted to. I got the ball back into play, but not with the confidence the 6.0 naturally gives me.

I didn't get to try the 95. My coach glommed onto that and never gave it up.

So there you have it. Will it replace my 6.0's? In a word, no. Are they *much* better than the original tour 90? Very much so. That was one stick I wanted to like, but never could.

One last thing: The graphics are kind of silly. I think all these high-tech hieroglyphics are unnecessary on a tennis racquet. But that's just me. I play plain-old black 6.0 85's.

..Joe

BreakPoint
06-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the review of the nSix-One Tour.

When you say it felt if bit "whippy", do you mean the racquet felt less stiff or more flexible than the PS 6.0 85 and Tour 90? Did it also feel more stable than the PS 6.0 85 and Tour 90? Would you describe it as just a lighter version of the Tour 90?

BTW, I didn't think that anyone that uses a PS 6.0 85 needed tennis lessons. :wink:

joegerardi
06-03-2004, 03:01 PM
No, by whippy, I meant that it feels a little light in its movement. It feels like it doesn't have the mass of a true players racquet. It moved too easily, and felt like it didn't have the heft that I'm used to. Think of it like a Prostaff, that *kinda* swings like a Babolat Pure Drive.

..Joe

Swan Song
06-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Maybe a little bit of lead tape done by you or your local tecnician my solve that light-swinging feel joegerardi. Obviously it will not feel like the 6.0, but I think it will be a tad better.

BreakPoint
06-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Joe,
BTW, would you say the feel of the nSix-One Tour is closer to that of the PS 6.0 85 or a bit stiffer like the Tour 90?
Thanks.

joegerardi
06-04-2004, 05:00 AM
BreakPoint-
Remember, this is only a first impression. I had only about 20 minutes with this stick. The best part is that is was with my coach, so I was getting the proper feeds to try things with it, but all of these observations are subjective. That said, I would say that it feels more like the 6.0 85 than the Tour 90. I could never get into anything even close to a "groove" with the 90- it never would swing for me the way I wanted it to. The nCode had much better feel.

Oh, and to reply to your earlier statement (which I missed) about playing a 6.0 and needing a coach: I'm 1-1/2 years past having my left knee 75% disabled, so my game is in a rehabilitative state. I got dropped from a strong 4.0 down to a 2.5, and the road back is full of compromises. So I need a coach to teach me all the dirty tricks to play when I'm going to have trouble making it to the ball! (I call it "Cinderella Tennis." :) )

SwanSong-
As I was just trying these out, I really doubt the rep would've let me weight them up to my preferences. :) Also, I'm not looking for a new stick, so I tried them just to get their feel. Having said that, *were* I looking for a new bat, I think I would consider the nSix-One, but I would need a lot more time with it, to really explore its advantages and limitations.

..Joe

BreakPoint
06-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks Joe! Good luck with your rehabilitation.

a verrry large duck
06-04-2004, 10:37 AM
I played pro staff 85 for a while too, you mentioned volleying, did the ncode 90 felt better punching through volleys than the 85, and also if you hit with it enough to know whether the touch is lacking in reference to the 85.

joegerardi
06-04-2004, 01:18 PM
No, I didn't get to play it long enough to make that assessment. I know what my 6.0 can do in my hands, so it would be an unfair comparison.

..Joe