PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Super RD Tour 90 in Japan, collecting, value

wlinchon
12-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Hello,

In Japan, there seems to be no mention of this legendary racquet.
Would anyone know if it was introduced in Japan and if so, what name was it sold under?

And, when did it come out in the States?

In addition, does anyone feel this would be a future collectors' item?

Finally, what is one going for these days (Dec. 2005)?

Thanks for any info.

Swan Song
12-30-2005, 05:16 PM
In Japan it was called the RA3000 Pro.

Net Rusher
12-30-2005, 05:21 PM
My friend told me that many legendary rackets, including almost brand new, go to dustbin in Tokyo. So if you're dustman maybe you can get SRD Tour for free.
http://www.goranonline.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=817
http://www.goranonline.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=818

Ronaldo
12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
SRD 90 Tour is now 10 yrs old, gets mentioned as quickly as N'Sync

wlinchon
12-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Swan Song (and all),

Man, how did you know that? Wonder why Yonex would take the trouble to have different names for their racquets. Would you happen to also know if it was as well received in Japan? And (sorry for all these questions) would anyone know how the 90 and 95 differed in play and feel?

Thanks.

Swan Song
12-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention. I think the SRQ 500 was also called the RA5000. I have hit with both the 90 and the 95 in a 4-1/8 in. grip and a 4-1/2 in. grip, respectively. The 90 and 95 are very flexible and have good heft on them for stock weight, which makes it arm friendly. I also enjoyed hitting forehands with the 90 in^2 because I got a lot of power on it. User-friendliness wise, I would prefer the 95 in^2 because it swung light and I can get around balls easier. The 90 in^2 felt like swinging with a piece of log that I thought I had some moments where I had to set up early to hit a one-handed backhand. I have more experience with the 95 in^2, so I cannot help you too much comparing them side by side.

tandayu
12-30-2005, 10:14 PM
The widebody era of Yonex seemed to overshadow the SRD tour 90 eventhough Richard Krajireck used it. The widebody RQ-380, RQ180, and RQ500 was more popular. The SRD tour was not as popular as the R-22 used by Gomez, Navratilova and Yzaga.

wlinchon
12-30-2005, 10:39 PM
The reason for all my questions started when I was searching for information about the RDX500. With the RDX500, there is mention of Hewitt. Then from what I found, Hewitt doesnt use one but a paint job of the Super RD Tour 90 (or I am wrong about this?). It seems that everyone once used this racquet-Navratilova, Krajireck, Hingis, etc. And everyone lamented when it was discontinued (By the way, what was it replaced with?). So then why isnt this more of a collector's item?

wlinchon
12-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Swan Song,

Havent heard of the RQ500. Was a bit confused by your earlier reply. Were you talking about the feel of the RQ500 or Super RD in 90/95?

Sweden
12-31-2005, 02:24 AM
I don´t like the Super RD-tour at all. IMO it is too flexy and unstable, reminds me of the terrible Head Premier Tour.

joe1987
12-31-2005, 05:02 AM
I didn't think it was unstable. Played fine for me except that it was too flexy

ssjkyle31
12-31-2005, 06:03 AM
SRD 90 Tour is now 10 yrs old, gets mentioned as quickly as N'Sync

You can tearing up my heart...court haha

Sweden
12-31-2005, 06:09 AM
I didn't think it was unstable. Played fine for me except that it was too flexy

IMO, a racket that is too flexy is also unstable. Okey, I agree, it was mean comparing the RD with the premier tour since that one is really unstable. :D

vantagepoint
12-31-2005, 07:06 AM
The most stable frame I have ever hit, certainly for its beam width (20). A collector's item - probably not. I have hit with about fifty frames and none has approached this one for the combination of stability, spin, control and touch. It is also a racquet that can feel simultaneously stiff and springy (flexible), which relates to the qualities I mentioned.

tandayu
12-31-2005, 09:13 AM
The most stable frame I have ever hit, certainly for its beam width (20). A collector's item - probably not. I have hit with about fifty frames and none has approached this one for the combination of stability, spin, control and touch. It is also a racquet that can feel simultaneously stiff and springy (flexible), which relates to the qualities I mentioned.

Do you remember your string tension and what string? I might try your set up. Mine maybe strung too loose, and the frame feels very flexi.

The SRD tour 95 is much more powerful than the 90. The 95 is nice for doubles, but we have to control really careful on volley. Generate more spin on serve with 95.

vantagepoint
12-31-2005, 09:32 AM
I use either natural gut at about 57 lbs, a gut-synthetic hybrid at about 56, or an (18 gauge) all synthetic setup at about 54 lbs.

What you are referring to as instability seems to me to be trampolining, or possibly the sensation of mishits. Since it is a low-powered frame, I would not recommend stringing above 60 lbs tension unless you hit the daylights out of the ball consistently. Another reason I string it as I do is because it feels better at net, where I enjoy playing more than on the baseline.

Swan Song
12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Swan Song,

Havent heard of the RQ500. Was a bit confused by your earlier reply. Were you talking about the feel of the RQ500 or Super RD in 90/95?

I was talking about the feel of the SRD Tour. The RQ500 that I talked about was the Super RQ500, which was available in standard and 28 in. length. Supposedly that racquet was popular on the WTA Tour in the 1990s with players like Hingis, Kournikova, Seles, Zvereva, Anke Huber, Gigi Fernandez, and so on.