PDA

View Full Version : Stringing an old Yonex R-24 - How?

yonex guy
12-31-2005, 05:19 AM
I am getting back into tennis after a long hiatus with back and knee injuries. I like my old Yonex R- 24 from eons ago - but I can't find a good stringer who actually knows how to string it.

Any suggestions?

Sweden
12-31-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~qazu/tennis/pic/R24.jpg

This picture maybe makes the stringing professionals on this forum help you. By the way, I think you can post this topic on the strings & stinging forum as well. According to the picture, it looks like a nightmare stringing you dear racket.

bookem
12-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Starting at the throat, mains skip 8T, 8H, with tie off at 6T. Crosses start at 8H, finish 7T, with tie offs at 7H, 8T. Shared holes at 7T, 9T, and 9H.

PBODY99
12-31-2005, 08:35 AM
Starting at the throat, mains skip 8T, 8H, with tie off at 6T. Crosses start at 8H, finish 7T, with tie offs at 7H, 8T. Shared holes at 7T, 9T, and 9H.
Insist on two piece stringing, with the crosses installed top down.:cool:

jck01
12-31-2005, 10:36 AM
I am getting back into tennis after a long hiatus with back and knee injuries. I like my old Yonex R- 24 from eons ago - but I can't find a good stringer who actually knows how to string it.

Any suggestions?

The string pattern doesn't look any different than what I'm used to seeing. Perhaps you should look for a stringer that works at a pro shop rather than going to your friends or to Sports Authority, where they might not have worked on older tennis racquets.

The stringers you already checked out are probably not familiar with racquets that have shared string holes.

yonex guy
12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
I went to pro shop here, but maybe because the stringer was very young they didnt know how to string to it. Even back 15 years I got a bad stringing job on it and it felt like a board - found a good stringer once- but cant relocate him. But that was in the late 80's...grr...
I'll repost this in the stringing section. I suppose I could get new racket - I played for the first time in 20 years or so with a new racket and of course I expect to be bad - but didnt expect the new rackets to be so stiff and light.
VERY DIFFERENT. And hard on my elbow...

PBODY99
12-31-2005, 07:07 PM
I went to pro shop here, but maybe because the stringer was very young they didnt know how to string to it. Even back 15 years I got a bad stringing job on it and it felt like a board - found a good stringer once- but cant relocate him. But that was in the late 80's...grr...
I'll repost this in the stringing section. I suppose I could get new racket - I played for the first time in 20 years or so with a new racket and of course I expect to be bad - but didnt expect the new rackets to be so stiff and light.
VERY DIFFERENT. And hard on my elbow...

I'm sorry, in my 1st post I should have reminded you of dropping the tension on the crosses by 5 lbs per Yonnex instructions. Alsoo on older frames I don't exceed the mid tension of the manufactures range. I hope this helps.:cool:

Sixpointone
12-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Yonex Guy,

If you are having a problem finding a Stringer in your area I would suggest that you visit www.racquettech.com

From there, if you go to the 'Stringing' tab and then select 'Find A Stringer' you can proceed to enter your Zip Code see whom might be in your area.

If the 'MRT' box is checked, the person is a Master Racquet Technician and if the 'CS' is checked the person is a Certified Stringer.

Of course all of this is assuming you live in the United States.

Hope that helped,
John