PDA

View Full Version : putting lead tape on liquidmetal prestige mid

ravemaster806
12-31-2005, 11:30 AM
i want to customize my liquidmetal prestige mid for more sweet spot, power or control, please let me know, thanks

Davai
12-31-2005, 11:53 AM
First of all try stringing it at a higher tension. putting lead tape on the prestige is like asking for a lot less power, in my opinion at least. Maybe some current owners can give you some advice.

Return_Ace
12-31-2005, 12:04 PM
heh, i wouldn't dream of putting lead on my lm prestige mid, the thing already is like a brick. Always come out of a game with my arm slightly aching, but hey, it's improved my game and i'm sure i'll adapt to it at some point.

normally to increase the sweet spot of a racket you'd put lead at 2 & 10 o'clock, which should increase power levels as well. However, lead tape is a personal thing, so you should experiment first and stick with what you find nice.
But like davai said, try restringing first, maybe at a higher tension if you want slightly more control, and lower tension if you want more power.

Aeropro joe
12-31-2005, 01:32 PM
wats ur current setup? i have 3 lm pretisge mids with leather grips, and klip x-plosive 17g at 58lbs wih gut in the mains and find it to have a lot of power and very good control if you have good form. mine weigh in at 12.8 oz which is just about right for me but cant shave off any more weight unless i go bak to synthetic grips (bleh!). am going to put in a set of klip lightning 17g at 58lbs next just to see the difference in feel, and how much less durability there is, since it is an 18X20 string pattern though, i am trying to not use poly since this just helps stiffen it.

ravemaster806
12-31-2005, 01:51 PM
hi, my lm prestige mid is strung with babolat ballistic polymono 17 at 58lb, please give me more tips or suggestion, thanks

Aeropro joe
01-01-2006, 09:30 PM
well since the prestige is 18x20 then i would stay with 17g since thicker strings will stiffen the stringbed. if ur using an extreme grip tho thicker strings give more power, if you r using an eastern or seni wetern tho then the 17 will give you more pop 58lbs. is still pretty high tension have you experimented with other tensions? polyester is not a power string so if you want more power try a good multi or gut, since the prestige has the 18x20 pattern, i dont think durability will be too much of an issue. a full gut job will most likely be too powerful so a hybrid is nice. if you like the feel of ur babolat poly then you can use it in the hybrid with the multi or gut, i personally use klip x plosive 17g at 58lbs in my prestige and find it to be a good string with lots of pop do u feel like u lose control after dropping the tension? the prestige is a heavy players frame so that would be the last thing i would try, since maneuverability will be lost but in the end you always just have to experiment and see what works the best for you

nViATi
01-01-2006, 09:39 PM
well since the prestige is 18x20 then i would stay with 17g since thicker strings will stiffen the stringbed. if ur using an extreme grip tho thicker strings give more power, if you r using an eastern or seni wetern tho then the 17 will give you more pop 58lbs. is still pretty high tension have you experimented with other tensions? polyester is not a power string so if you want more power try a good multi or gut, since the prestige has the 18x20 pattern, i dont think durability will be too much of an issue. a full gut job will most likely be too powerful so a hybrid is nice. if you like the feel of ur babolat poly then you can use it in the hybrid with the multi or gut, i personally use klip x plosive 17g at 58lbs in my prestige and find it to be a good string with lots of pop do u feel like u lose control after dropping the tension? the prestige is a heavy players frame so that would be the last thing i would try, since maneuverability will be lost but in the end you always just have to experiment and see what works the best for you
Actually, thinner strings are stiffer and are more powerful.

Mies
01-02-2006, 01:49 AM
You say you have too little power and control and too little a sweetspot in your LM prestige mid. Before you start adding lead, ask yourself if this is actually the right racket for you. The LM prestige has good control and well, you knew before you bought it that a 93 sq incher is going to have a relatively small sweetspot.

When it comes to power, I know nothing about your tennis style and stroke technique, but consider the following.

The LM prestige MID clocks in at 350 grams and a swingweight of 340 which makes it a potentially powerfull frame in its headsize category because there is a lot of mass behind a shot. There is only one "but" and that is: can you swing it fast enough?

This is one of the "bulkiest" rackets on the market in the sense that it is relatively hard to get this one in motion. Since you say you lack power in the 3 strokes where you need to generate the most racket velocity (as opposed to e.g. block returns and volleys) this might be your problem. Adding lead will then only make it worse.

Perhaps it is worthwile to consider a similar frame (if you like the rest of the specs) with a lower swingweight? You might actually gain more power because you can swing the thing faster. There is an optimum for each and every individual tennis player.

Again, I know nothing of your technique and level, but this crossed my mind. My first impression when someone says their current racket doesn't have a big enough sweetspot, not enough control (although I find this bit a bit hard to believe for the prestige mid) and not enough power is that they are not using the right racket for them.

Regards,
Maurice

ravemaster806
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
will putting lead tape on my lm prestige mid affect the racquet, i just want to make the racquet heavier cause it's not heavy enough, please help, thanks

Mies
01-03-2006, 11:05 AM
If you only put lead in the head, then you will chance 4 things:

You will raise the sweetspot a bit.
You will increase the weight (obviously).
You will shift the balance point upwards.
You will increase the swingweight.

If you want to add weight without changing the balance point you must counterweight with some weight under the grip.

If you want to add weight without changing the swingweight, add weight only under the handle. Note that you will be changing the balance point though.

Regards,
Maurice