PDA

View Full Version : Easy Sweetspot test!!

AJK1
12-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Put your racquet on the ground (preferably a hard court or on concrete floor) and lightly put your foot on the top of the handle area so it doesn't move. Then hold a tennis ball above the strings from about your belly button and drop it onto the strings, and watch it bounce. You can drop it on certain parts of the stringbed to easily see where your racquet has dead spots, or the sweetpot. If i divide the head into thirds, my Yonex RD Ti 50 has dead spots in the bottom 1/3and on the outer areas, but has a suprisingly large sweetspot from just under half -way to just under the top of the frame. But the best area is definitely from dead centre to just above dead centre. Make sense? Also, if you do it barefoot, your foot can give you great feedback, i found when the ball hits the sweetspot, your foot feels nothing, but when it hits a deadspot, you can feel the jarring in your foot. Imagine what it must do to our arms!! Anyway, see for yourself!

tennissavy
12-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Put your racquet on the ground (preferably a hard court or on concrete floor) and lightly put your foot on the top of the handle area so it doesn't move. Then hold a tennis ball above the strings from about your belly button and drop it onto the strings, and watch it bounce. You can drop it on certain parts of the stringbed to easily see where your racquet has dead spots, or the sweetpot. If i divide the head into thirds, my Yonex RD Ti 50 has dead spots in the bottom 1/3and on the outer areas, but has a suprisingly large sweetspot from just under half -way to just under the top of the frame. But the best area is definitely from dead centre to just above dead centre. Make sense? Also, if you do it barefoot, your foot can give you great feedback, i found when the ball hits the sweetspot, your foot feels nothing, but when it hits a deadspot, you can feel the jarring in your foot. Imagine what it must do to our arms!! Anyway, see for yourself!
You have entirely too much time on your hands! I'm just kidding, my Australian mate! I believe you. Most racquets do have dead spots and that can make things frustrating for most people, even the pros. I firmly believe in three technogies which greatly expand the sweetspot of racquets, by prince and wilson. Prince's sweetspot suspension system and O ports and Wilson's powerholes do enlarge the sweetspot of a racquet so much that it makes it nearly impossible to hit a dead spot at all. I play with Wilson's hammer 6.4(the one Serena used to win all her grand slam titles, under various paintjobs) and Prince's TT HornetMP(Sharapova used under the more attack paintjob) because those racquets are incredibly forgiving. That is so important when you are scrambling, out of position, and cannot set up to hit the shot very well. In that type of situation, you can hit a very good quality shot with those technologies because the strings do flex and forgive you if you hit a shot at the extreme edges of the stringbed. If I hit the ball there with a frame that has standard grommets, I hit a weak, errant shot. With O ports or powerholes or sweetspot supsension grommets I can strike the ball with some authority and can get back in the point. They give a player a second chance. That is probably why, in my opinion, Serena, Maria and Justine use their racquets. Serena has powerholes at 3,12 and 9o'clock. Justine has powerholes at 3 & 9 o'clock. Maria had sweetspot suspension grommets at 3, 12, 9 & 6 o'clock and now has o ports at the same locations! Those technologies have made a huge improvement in my game and certainly in the games of the pros I named. I think everyone would benefit from racquets which feature them.

Punisha
01-01-2006, 12:04 AM
My rdx 500 mid didnt really have any dead spots... just when u hit the frame it screwed up

AJK1
01-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi Tennissavvy, yes i think i do have too much time on my hands! Are you a guy or a gal? I only ask this as you have a lot of good info on the women's tour which is refreshing. Anyway, this test has now convinced me to put some lead tape at 2 and 10 o'clock on my sticks as this will help expand the sweetspots, and give me a little extra power. Thanks for your input!

AJK1
01-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah punisha, mine was pretty good all over too, except near the throat, where it was just dead. No bounce at all. Now i know when i misshit and get that jarring feeling, it must be at the throat area.

jonolau
01-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Just the thing to do when you're first to reach the court ...

Tenny
01-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I firmly believe in three technogies which greatly expand the sweetspot of racquets, by prince and wilson. Prince's sweetspot suspension system and O ports and Wilson's powerholes do enlarge the sweetspot of a racquet so much that it makes it nearly impossible to hit a dead spot at all.

Are those technologies similar to Volkl's 'big grommet' system? Kinda corn shaped or big holes instead of conventional grommet? AJK, that's smart. I am going to try it someday just to see how my 20 plus racquets feel. Thnx.

MackSamuelHustovisics
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
You know, these O ports and power holes are beneficial indeed! The thing is, some people's favorite frames don't have those technologies. Some do not want to switch frames. Some may even be ashamed or embarrassed to use such types of frames (I think O3s are cool looking and am a fan of the O ports adding power but wouldn't want to be seen with a Prince) .

There is a do-it-yourself method to attain such technolgy that I'll share with you all. It's just another thing included in my customizations.

Tools needed:

Drill

Drill bit (Choose prefered width. A diameter 2x the size of the grommet width is recommended.)

Racquet Strings

45-60 minutes of your time

Instructions

1) Get an accurate measurement of your frame's specs; the swing weight, balance point, and static mass.

2) Cut and remove the strings from frame.

3) Remove all of the grommets and bumper that are located in the area where you wish to have the power holes.

4) From the inside of the hoop and leaving the outer wall untouched, drill and enlarge the holes on the frame in the areas you prefer. This allows the hoop to retain some structural strength. You can drill all the way through if you prefer a flexier feel. You can also enlarge the the grommet holes if you want an increased in string movement. Be careful no to take away too much of the gromment to prevent the frame cutting into the strings.

5) Reattach grommets and bumper. Restring. Remeasure the frame and make necessary adjustments to attain previous specs. (add lead) .

6) Voila! You now have power holes/O ports without the dead give-away since the holes cannot be seen on the outside wall of the hoop. Enjoy your own secret!

LafayetteHitter
01-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I find the most accurate test is to hit some balls with a racquet!

MackSamuelHustovisics
01-01-2006, 04:30 PM
The tests described above are good for a ball park guesstimate. The more precise ways to locate the "sweet points and "sweet areas" are a bit more complex than just dropping a ball on the stringbed. I don't have the patience to explain it at this moment. Just FYI, for those truley interested, do some researching.

jonolau
01-02-2006, 06:05 AM
You know, these O ports and power holes are beneficial indeed! The thing is, some people's favorite frames don't have those technologies. Some do not want to switch frames. Some may even be ashamed or embarrassed to use such types of frames (I think O3s are cool looking and am a fan of the O ports adding power but wouldn't want to be seen with a Prince) .

There is a do-it-yourself method to attain such technolgy that I'll share with you all. It's just another thing included in my customizations.

Tools needed:

Drill

Drill bit (Choose prefered width. A diameter 2x the size of the grommet width is recommended.)

Racquet Strings

45-60 minutes of your time

Instructions

1) Get an accurate measurement of your frame's specs; the swing weight, balance point, and static mass.

2) Cut and remove the strings from frame.

3) Remove all of the grommets and bumper that are located in the area where you wish to have the power holes.

4) From the inside of the hoop and leaving the outer wall untouched, drill and enlarge the holes on the frame in the areas you prefer. This allows the hoop to retain some structural strength. You can drill all the way through if you prefer a flexier feel. You can also enlarge the the grommet holes if you want an increased in string movement. Be careful no to take away too much of the gromment to prevent the frame cutting into the strings.

5) Reattach grommets and bumper. Restring. Remeasure the frame and make necessary adjustments to attain previous specs. (add lead) .

6) Voila! You now have power holes/O ports without the dead give-away since the holes cannot be seen on the outside wall of the hoop. Enjoy your own secret!
To get more power on centred shots, would I be wrong to conclude that the holes be enlarged at 2-4 and 8-10?

MackSamuelHustovisics
01-02-2006, 09:10 AM
To get more power on centred shots, would I be wrong to conclude that the holes be enlarged at 2-4 and 8-10?

You would not be wrong. At the same time, those locations that you have described wouldn't be the ideal areas to maximize power for exact dead-center shots.

Basically, whenever you add the power holes the stringbed will liven up, whether the ball contacts the PH strings or not. If the ball contacts PH strings then the PH effect will be greater than PH string mishits. So, (I really hate it when people say this but I'm gonna say it just so you all know what I am talking about) "with that said", That's the phrase. I also hate it when people say, "first and foremost". adding PHs to 12, 6, 9, & 3 o'clock would maximize the string stretch for a dead-center hit.

By-the-way, did you study Psychiatry?