PDA

View Full Version : Volkl - which ones ?

bluegrasser
01-01-2006, 05:33 AM
My buddy who owns a tennis shop will now carry the Volkl line, and we were discussing which racquets to order or the ones that will sell the best - any opinions out there from shop owners etc..

DANMAN
01-01-2006, 07:58 AM
T10MpgenII
T10VE Mid and MP
Cat 8 V Engine
DNX 8,10
BB10
There are a bunch of good volkl frames. These are more of their upper level sticks I guess. I have not seen many lower leveled players around here using volkl...it just isn't pushed on the consumers around here (though I am sure some of their V1s and other sticks are great for beginners). I guess it depends on the type of player your friend wishes to cater to. I'm sure you will get more responses from volkl experts.

NoBadMojo
01-01-2006, 08:08 AM
V1's are great for players of any level. I just worked with a couple who played Div1 T and they are both still using their V1Classics. You could run a whole tennis shop wth that one...it's the closest I've seen to the universal tennis racquet. Your other choices would depend in large part on if many better players frequent the shop, what other brands they stock, how many series they can afford to stock, and many other parameters. A good Rep would ask a bunch of questions, find out what your buddies true needs are, and come up with the right listing, rather than to inflict what he needs to sell on someone. Also with some new frames coming out from Volkl including some new BB stuff, I would delay that for just a bit. Also the T10MPVE is being discontinued, so that wouldnt make a good choice unless a closeut deal.

panic
01-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm sure your buddy sells to beginners also so maybe he'd try getting some lower lever player racquets also like cat 4 and dnx v1. As Danman said, there are A LOT of good völkl frames so I'd order many for greater choice.

NoBadMojo
01-01-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm sure your buddy sells to beginners also so maybe he'd try getting some lower lever player racquets also like cat 4 and dnx v1. .

The DNXV1 is not a lower level frame.

panic
01-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Sorry, my bad. It was a bad example

NoBadMojo
01-01-2006, 08:42 AM
no problemo Panic. The V1 can be a lower level frame, but it also suits high level players. Just trying to make sure folks get good info around here.

Sixpointone
01-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I like the V1 which has already been mentioned. And I am also a fan of the C10 Pro.

danix
01-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Just keep in mind, folks, there are many fine racquets out there. Volkl frames are overrated in relative terms. They make many fine racquets and others that are average. Ed/Mojo pushes them relentlessly, along with the (malicious) Rabbit, who is wedded to the prestige of using such a frame.

A big part of the "mystique" was that Volkl would only sell through pro shops, and you could not buy them online, at least not from an authorized retailer.

I don't think I've ever seen a post from Mojo or Rabbit where they "pushed" the Volkls. Everyone has a preference, but I see no real bias from either.

Masamusou
01-01-2006, 11:34 AM
The throat of the T10 V-E Mid does look at little funny, but the feel is very similar to the C10 Pro. A very slight increase in stiffness, but the feel is definitely there. Both are great frames, I had 8 C10's in high school and now I've moved to the T10 V-E Mid and love them. Slightly smaller headsize, denser pattern, similar feel. The T10 V-E Mid actually reminds me of a stiffer Fischer Vacuum Pro Classic 90, another frame with a very sweet feel to it (you could almost feel like it was bending when it was strung with a multifilament). The shop I went to last week that carried Volkl carried: V1, T10 V-E (Mid and MP), T10 Gen 2, T9 V-E (closeout), Cat 4 Gen 2, T8 V-E, BB10, Cat 2 Gen 2, Cat 8. He was also going to get all the DNX frames in, and anything you requested that he didn't have in stock he would have shipped to you from Volkl. Some more of my T10 V-E Mids will be waiting for me when I get back to Colorado because there weren't enough of my gripsize in stock.

DANMAN
01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Sorry to call the V1 a beginner's frame...it came to my mind in a different light when I posted originally. I was thinking of a different racket.

vin
01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Bluegrasser,

I think all the 10 series rackets are great, but depending on what kind of area you live in, they won't sell that well.

I live in upstate NY. Tennis is popular here, but it ain't no hotbed. It's not that uncommon to see people with Volkls, but I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen using Tour 10 series rackets. And I'm one of them. :mrgreen:

Richie Rich
01-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Bluegrasser,

I think all the 10 series rackets are great, but depending on what kind of area you live in, they won't sell that well.

I live in upstate NY. Tennis is popular here, but it ain't no hotbed. It's not that uncommon to see people with Volkls, but I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen using Tour 10 series rackets. And I'm one of them. :mrgreen:

i was thinking the same thing. i wouldn't go overboard and order a ton of Volkl frames that might sit around and gather dust. they are nice frames but people tend to gravitate to babolat, heads, wilson, prince. yonex, fischer, volkl frames tend to be used by hardcore tennis players and also seem to cost more than other racquets.

Sixpointone
01-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Bluegrasser,

There was one more thing I wanted to mention, but forgot to do so earlier.

It might be a solid idea to have demos of certain Frames, even if they are not in stock/inventory. That way players could potentially still try them out, and your friend's shop could then custom order them accordindly as desired.

Hope that helps,
John

NoBadMojo
01-01-2006, 02:27 PM
i was thinking the same thing. i wouldn't go overboard and order a ton of Volkl frames that might sit around and gather dust. they are nice frames but people tend to gravitate to babolat, heads, wilson, prince. yonex, fischer, volkl frames tend to be used by hardcore tennis players and also seem to cost more than other racquets.

I dont think Volkl frames cost more than the other brands mentioned.

Wilson nCode6.1 = $180
Head Liquidmetal Prestige = $200
Volkl T10MPGen2 = $160

Yonex RDX500Mid = $170
Wilson nCode 6.1 =$180
Volkl T10VEMid = $160

Babblelot PD/AeroDrive = $180
Volkl Tour8VE or BB10 = $139

etc..some of the Volkl oversized stuff is more, but so are the nCode offerings from Wilson and such. I agre I wouldnt order a bunch of different frames either and once again suggest that your buddy get advice from people who know more about his store and the area and such than we do

Richie Rich
01-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I dont think Volkl frames cost more than the other brands mentioned.

Wilson nCode6.1 = $180
Head Liquidmetal Prestige = $200
Volkl T10MPGen2 = $160

Yonex RDX500Mid = $170
Wilson nCode 6.1 =$180
Volkl T10VEMid = $160

Babblelot PD/AeroDrive = $180
Volkl Tour8VE or BB10 = $139

etc..some of the Volkl oversized stuff is more, but so are the nCode offerings from Wilson and such. I agre I wouldnt order a bunch of different frames either and once again suggest that your buddy get advice from people who know more about his store and the area and such than we do

should have clarified that I am north of the border where MSRP are a little higher than in the US and also that stores around me tend to sell more Wilson, Head, Prince just because the local clubs all have volume deals with these companies that smaller outfits like Volkl, Fischer, etc (who are distributed by companies who's focus is hockey and not tennis) can't match.

the price gap is getting smaller and we are talking $10-$20 in most cases between competing frames.

i just remember a pro shop by me opening up and carrying a few Volkl frames. people would demo them, like them, but then find a cheaper comparable wilson or head. the Volkls sat around and only the hardcore players would buy them.

DXS
01-02-2006, 05:28 AM
I would stock the BB-10's. It my favorite frame from all manufactures. I have and still demo everything. I have yet to find a Volkl frame that I could not play with, although some produce more power than I really need. All of them feel very nice and that is the main thing I need in a stick. I need to be a ble to feel the ball on the strings. The great thing about the BB-10's it that there are very inexpensive in comparison to other players frames.

-ds

jonolau
01-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Why can't we just keep these forums open without personal attacks or mentioning of names? Vantagepoint, there really is no need to start a fight in an empty churchyard.

The C10 Pro is a classic racquet that embodies the buttery feel of Volkl racquets.

Another line to carry would be the Tour 10 V Engine Mid/Mid Plus.

Marius_Hancu
01-02-2006, 05:44 AM
it might be a good idea to have a look at the auction site and what's selling there and at what prices and make a decision based on that

but the local market is very important too ... how advanced the players are, etc ...

ChicagoJack
01-02-2006, 07:43 AM
My buddy who owns a tennis shop will now carry the Volkl line, and we were discussing which racquets to order or the ones that will sell the best - any opinions out there from shop owners etc..

I would first build my racquet lines using the major manufacturers, in the demographic sweet spot first, the 3.0 - 4.0 players. Players in that range or below, are much more likely to walk in the store, not knowing what they want. Seems to me the internet retailers and aution sites are the 900lb gorillas in the market. Customers who know what they want (typically 4.0 and up) are much more likely to shop ffor the lowest prices online, use the big auction sites etc. The Volkl Classic and DNX V1 and would handle this bulky demographic nicely. I would build out from there, with that as the core product in the line

The essential question every shop owner must ask himself would be... what can I provide, that the internet retailer cannot. The Product line is secondary concern. I think the main product with the brick and mortor Tennis retailers is customer service. I understand that the original question was not a queery about effective business plans. But if you have one in place, then you know if the product fits into the plan or not. If you wish to compete with the internet on price and selection alone without stellar customer service, you will fail. If you wish to only compete with the local competition, or lack there of - I would look to see what the other stores are selling. If nobody in your area is selling Volkls then that would be a major decision making factor.

If the goal is to compete on much larger scale with the internet retailers, you need to stock as many lines as you can, and justify the price dif with stellar customer service, in store hitting lanes with ball machines, face to face interaction with a pro level stringer etc. Stuff you cant get online. Look at the supply at look at the demand. This is sophomoric stuff that people already know, but is still applicable none the less. The Volkl Tour 9VEs can be had at fire sale prices these days. That is not one to stock up on.

[..]

Volkls have a disproportionatly large presence on this board compared to the actual market share. Make that mean whatever you choose to make it mean. Either that's the result of constant hawking by a persistant few, or it's a result of a good product with grassroot support, without means of the usaul celebrity marketing. Both of thse scenarios could be true. Neither could be true. Interpretation is interpretation. You choose what you choose. People invent meaning, then get all bent over what they have made it mean. You will either get concept that in 11 seconds, or not get it at all. (Just my version of this minor ongoing dispute, which may or may not be true)

apologies for the many mis-spellings, typos-- rushed this morning
Best regards
-Jack

dozu
01-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Volkls have a disproportionatly large presence on this board compared to the actual market share. Make that mean whatever you choose to make it mean. Either that's the result of constant hawking by a persistant few, or it's a result of a good product with grassroot support, without means of the usaul celebrity marketing. Both of thse scenarios could be true. Neither could be true. Interpretation is interpretation. You choose what you choose. People invent meaning, then get all bent over what they have made it mean. You will either get concept that in 11 seconds, or not get it at all. (Just my version of this minor ongoing dispute, which may or may not be true)

apologies for the many mis-spellings, typos-- rushed this morning
Best regards
-Jack

from my own experience both scenarios can be true, after I switched to the T10mid G1 about 1.5 months ago, I am accumulating this frame, and I am always happy to share with others what a great racket it is.... I have used products from Yonex, Head, Dunlop, Wilson, Prince, Fischer, and a few no-names like Donnay and Kneisel, and I have to say I will be a Volkl user for life.

bluegrasser
01-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Many thanks for all the suggestions - I'm really looking forward to trying all their offerings, maybe I'll find my magic stick. I know he was interested in the two mp/OS DNX sticks, and was a little hesitant on the BB model. I related all the info to him.

BTW, I'm looking for a stick with the feel of the Prestige w/ a little more pop and bigger sweetspot, also a little lighter - any suggestions ? thanks again for all the help.

vin
01-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Many thanks for all the suggestions - I'm really looking forward to trying all their offerings, maybe I'll find my magic stick.

BTW, I'm looking for a stick with the feel of the Prestige w/ a little more pop and bigger sweetspot, also a little lighter - any suggestions ?

Gen 2. I love it! It's not really going to give you pop, but it still has more than the Prestige I think.

It's probably not much lighter than the prestige either, but it has a low swingweight at 315 and swings really easy. Just make sure you get a demo that's at spec. The first demo I hit with was 12.5 oz. Spec weight is 12.0 strung.

max
01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I think people will always pay a little more if they realize they're getting real service or expert input. Personally, I've been finished with the "buy it at the lowest possible price" approach. Some things, guitars, etc., tennis racquets, really need a demo and some talk, etc.

ChicagoJack
01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Many thanks for all the suggestions - BTW, I'm looking for a stick with the feel of the Prestige w/ a little more pop and bigger sweetspot, also a little lighter - any suggestions ? thanks again for all the help.

Hi Bluegrasser -

I played with the Lm Prestige for a long time. Still feel it is an excellent frame. Looked all summer for something lighter as well. The Volkl T10 Gen II would qualify on three aspects of what you are looking for. It has a bigger sweetspot, sweetspot size is always debate-able, this is just my opinion of course. The Gen II is a teency wency bit lower in swingweight. The G2 for sure has more power, than the Prestige. Not so much of a power jump that you have to alter your groundstrokes fundamentally, but enough that I have to work a bit to keep my serves from landing deep. I'm able to adjust my groundstrokes on the fly, according to wind, balls, surface changes etc. But I've got a deep muscle memory groove on my serve that is always the last to make the adjustment. The Prestige has more power than my previous frame which was the Volkl Quantum 10 tour, I went through the same service adjustment with that transition as well.

In terms of feel, the Prestige has a noticable flexy feel, you really feel the throat snap back. If that's the feel you love, you might be disapointed with the switch. You dont get that comparable feel with the Gen II. What you get is an impact feel that is cleaner and shorter, with less residual vibrations. To me the hoop is a little more alive feeling in the Gen II, and the throat is a little more lively in the LM Prestige. IMO the Gen2 is one of the very best touch volleying frames out there. If you like a frame that will give you a little more "stick" or pop on the volley, you might prefer something a bit beefier. It's a real sweetheart to hit with from the ground, i loved it right from jumpstreet. But folks who have used the G2 and are looking to switch typically mention an inability to hit deep penetrating putaway shots. Baseliners typically enjoy something that will give you a heavier ball, such as the C10, G1 or the T10VEMP. All of which are a heavier swing as well. Over all the transition from Prestige to G2 is a pretty easy one. Not so sure it would be a big enough jump for you, especially in the weight department. I'm pretty sure the jump would not be too big.

- The T10VE mid is much lighter swing, unless you can swing it a whole lot faster, there is no way you are going to get more power out of it than you do the Prestige.

- The C10 hits a heavier ball but its a much heavier swing, and there is not enough bumper to cut down to make a difference

- You could do the Mojo thing with 10VEMP and cut the bumpers down, this would bring the weight down to the G2 range yet still give you more pop.

- IMO The other choices would be the Cat 8 VE, the lighter version DNX10, Classic V1, and LM Radical. I'd also mention the almost never mentioned the Fischer Pro Impact FT 102 as well. A bit twisty on the off center shots, but way user friendly.

Best regards, take care
-Jack

ssjkyle31
01-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I think you really have to take the demographics of your friends proshop. Price and overall service are always on there consumer mind. Sometimes talking to the customer he can figure out what series his customers want.

Actually he can just get the equivalent for his best sellers. I would laways get the all level racket.

AndrewD
01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
BTW, I'm looking for a stick with the feel of the Prestige w/ a little more pop and bigger sweetspot, also a little lighter - any suggestions ? thanks again for all the help.

bluegrasser,
I remember that you were reasonably happy with the 03 Red expect for the comfort levels. That being the case, have you thought of something else in the Prince 03 range that offers a bit more comfort ?

bluegrasser
01-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Chicago Jack: thanks for the tips/ I didn't care for the LM rad mp, it felt too light, anyway the Gen II sounds good, BTW is that a fairly new offering,as my friend will only carry the newer Volkl models. I love the LM Prestige for the volley and feel it's just if I'm a little late w/ my shot I tend to spray it.

Andrew: right now I have two lm Prestige, two O3 Red, and one FP Rad Os, the latter I'll hit with tomorrow, then when the Volkl sticks come in along with the O3 white,well, hopefully I'll have my stick by spring.

bluegrasser
01-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Q: Why is the Classic V1 considered an arm saver w/ a 69 stiffness rating ?

AndrewD
01-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Andrew: right now I have two lm Prestige, two O3 Red, and one FP Rad Os, the latter I'll hit with tomorrow, then when the Volkl sticks come in along with the O3 white,well, hopefully I'll have my stick by spring.

bluegrasser,

Actually, the 03 White was the one I was going to suggest you tried. I've mentioned it a number of times in other threads but I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it played. When I tested it I hit the 03 Red then the 03 White and found a considerable difference in the comfort levels with the latter far easier on the arm. While I did find the Red to offer more power on serve and a crisper feel I just didn't like the stiffness, especially at net and imagine it would prove quite harsh after a while.

The White, as I said, lacked the crispness of the Red but I found it to have a very solid, comfortable feel with excellent control. Off the ground I did find it too light for me (only 10.6 ounces and 290 swingweight) but I imagine a bit of added weight (bring it up to 11.3ish) would be a great bonus.
Im planning to have another hit with it on Monday, all going well, but this time I'll add some lead tape to make it a bit more head light (I believe it's 3ptsHL in stock form) and increase the static and swingweight.

I have recently been impressed with the Babolat APD standard but feel the 03 White is a more comfortable all-around frame (although I do think the APD standard is a comfortable racquet). Don't think it has the same high spin potential (important for me as I tend to hit flatter than I should LOL) although they do have the same 16x19 string pattern and probably a bit less power, although they are the same stiffness, but it certainly has a lot more 'feel'. Of course, with some added weight - to bring it level with the APD- my impression of its power levels and spin potential may change.

bluegrasser
01-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Andrew: The O3 white sounds good, BTW have you hit with the FP Rad Os ? I love the power you get in the upper hoop of the O3 red, it's great for the out of position volleys, really it's a great stick except for the feel which bugs me, I guess it's too harsh.

vin
01-03-2006, 06:50 AM
the Gen II sounds good, BTW is that a fairly new offering,as my friend will only carry the newer Volkl models. I love the LM Prestige for the volley and feel it's just if I'm a little late w/ my shot I tend to spray it.

I believe the Gen II was introduced early this year. With it's lighter swingweight, you may find that you're late less often. I did have problems spraying the ball with the T10 VE MP, but almost never with the Gen 2. It's also a well regarded volley stick.

AndrewD
01-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Andrew: The O3 white sounds good, BTW have you hit with the FP Rad Os ? I love the power you get in the upper hoop of the O3 red, it's great for the out of position volleys, really it's a great stick except for the feel which bugs me, I guess it's too harsh.

No, I haven't tried the FP Rad OS. Had a bash with the FP Prestige and that's enough FP for me (very average racquet but very comfortable).

I found the 03 Red too stiff, especially high up on the string bed, although I did prefer it to the 03 Tour (too flexy for me). It just never felt comfortable to me although, as I mentioned, I did find some very good power on serve. Just didn't feel the control was there as it is with the Bab APD or the 03 White or the comfort. That could be why players -pro and junior circuit- seem to be opting for the Tour or the White but very rarely for the Red. I notice Sam Stosur is now using the 03 White, after changing from her t10mp v-engine. Of course, what a pro uses doesn't mean a great deal but you don't tend to find them switching (excluding some who went to the Bab PD) from a racquet with good flex and feel to one that is rigid and harsh (and there's only so much strings and modification can do about that) even for some extra dollars and a bit more power.

Anyway mate, if I get the chance on Monday to have a hit I'll see about taking a pic or two of the White (assuming it's still there for me to test) so you get a better idea what it looks like.

mctennis
01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
The V1 is an arm saver because of the type of frame and handle dampening system Volkl uses. I started out with the V1 a few years ago whem my pro let me use his. He still uses the V1 as his tournament racquet as well as his teaching racquet. It feels great and also advances with you skill level so you don't have to buy other racquets when you skill level improves.

saf
01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Vin,

Did you find that you sprayed balls with the Tour 10 vemp because you were late from time to time, or for other reasons. I just switched to this frame and seem to like it a lot. I've always like heavy frames though.

Thanks...

vin
01-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Vin,

Did you find that you sprayed balls with the Tour 10 vemp because you were late from time to time, or for other reasons. I just switched to this frame and seem to like it a lot. I've always like heavy frames though.

Thanks...

I'm not entirely sure, but I hit so much better with the Gen 2 that I don't really care all that much now.

It has to be more than just the added swingweight that gives me trouble with the VE MP. I've hit fine before with higher swingweights, and for most of my time with the VE Mid, I had about 12g of lead on it which must have made the swingweight higher than that of the VE MP. I like the feel of the VE MP, and when I'm on with it, I can hit a really nice ball, but I just don't hit well with it consistently. If it weren't for the Gen 2, I'd have put more time into working out the issues with the VE MP.

saf
01-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks Vin,

I maybe should tinker with the Gen 2 a little more. My initial observations were that it was too under-powered for me. However, I think with a lower tension and maybe some lead on the head that might give it a little more zip. I've been playing with the Tour 10 VE MP for the last few weeks. I feel like for the most part I have played pretty well with it. I would agree, when I'm on it's a GREAT fit. Sometimes when I'm off a little, I question whether I need more control. However, that's always been the case with my "high risk" game. Likely just footwork and donfidence in my case???

Thanks...