PDA

View Full Version : Latest generation of wood?

tandayu
01-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I suddenly has interest on the midsize wood (with graphite?) that was used by the pros in the early 80's.

Anybody knows which brown (dark maroon?) Slazenger midsize wood that was used by Vilas and Pat Cash?

WHich racket was used by Mecir?

Which Snauwert midsze (blue/orange?) used by Gerulaitis?

The Pusher Terminator
01-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I suddenly has interest on the midsize wood (with graphite?) that was used by the pros in the early 80's.

Anybody knows which brown (dark maroon?) Slazenger midsize wood that was used by Vilas and Pat Cash?

There was a wood/graphite composite called simply: the "Vilas". It had his signature and everything.Unfortunately I forgot who made it. It was dark brown/maroon mixed with some light brown. I think this is the raquet you were refering to. I wonder how dofferent that racquet is compared to the ProKennex core racquets today!

NoBadMojo
01-01-2006, 10:53 AM
-Vilas used Head for much of his career and it was the Head Vilas which was a wood frame with some sort of laminate on the faces and it had more of a modern throat as I seem to recall. I think it came in two headsizes. Rabbit has these and can offer up more
-Mecir played Snauweart for a while I believe, as did Michael Pernfors and some others.
-Gerulaitus used the Snauweart autograph for a while which was standard wood frame..dont remember what the orange/blue frame was he switched to, but think it was some sort of Snauweart composite

joe sch
01-01-2006, 01:45 PM

I believe Cash played the ProKennex Golden Ace which Jose Luis Clerk endorsed.
Mecir may have played the Snawaert La Grande, which was very similar to the PK GAce.
Vilas made the small headed "head vilas" famous. These were all open throat woodies.
Gerulaitis endorsed the snauwaert "Vitas Gerulaitis" which was basically a wilson jk autograph with a nicer blue paintjob, infact really was for Vitas :) This was a standard head mono shaft woodie. All nice playing rackets that I have available if your interested.

Cheers, Joe

Captain Haddock
01-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I think it's been discussed before on this forum, but Cash also played with a Slazenger V-24 and a Prince Woodie mid (the latter apparently designed just for him) before switching to the Magnesium Pro (eighties fans, drool here!) in 86-87.

The red/black midsize model used by Mecir was, I believe, the Brian Gottfried autograph. Gerulaitis eventually switched to that model as well, and Snauwaert may have renamed it subsequently. I clearly remember that Mecir never switched to graphite and kept playing with the same racquet with a black and white graphite paint job until he retired, which should make him the last top-tenner to ever use wood.

Another model from the same era that you could try is the Head Edgewood (last used by Henri Leconte in the mid-eighties) and the Le Coq Sportif TCO used by Yannick Noah. I'm tempted to hit with one again myself, just for fun.

tandayu
01-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Great infos.

I am sure the pic of Vilas was using a midsize (or larger) Slazenger dark brown with throat. It does not look like a Head VIlas, and he was wearing Ellesse not FIla apparel.

PBODY99
01-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Great infos.

I am sure the pic of Vilas was using a midsize (or larger) Slazenger dark brown with throat. It does not look like a Head VIlas, and he was wearing Ellesse not FIla apparel.
It was a Vilas Slazenger 85 in wood frame. I have one in my collection. The info on Mecir is dead on, at the iend he used a wooden Snuawert with a square off head shape.

tandayu
01-01-2006, 08:23 PM
If you can post pictures of your collection, I am sure that I and others will enjoy it.

heathcliff
01-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I think it's been discussed before on this forum, but Cash also played with a Slazenger V-24 and a Prince Woodie mid (the latter apparently designed just for him) before switching to the Magnesium Pro (eighties fans, drool here!) in 86-87.

The red/black midsize model used by Mecir was, I believe, the Brian Gottfried autograph. Gerulaitis eventually switched to that model as well, and Snauwaert may have renamed it subsequently. I clearly remember that Mecir never switched to graphite and kept playing with the same racquet with a black and white graphite paint job until he retired, which should make him the last top-tenner to ever use wood.

Another model from the same era that you could try is the Head Edgewood (last used by Henri Leconte in the mid-eighties) and the Le Coq Sportif TCO used by Yannick Noah. I'm tempted to hit with one again myself, just for fun.

capt. is it really true that mecir played with his wooden racket throughout his career (esp. in 87 when he won the wct in dallas and the liptonīs defeating mac and lendl)
iīve asked this question on other threats before. i got different answers. i mean it would be really amazing if he really did so.