PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Ntour vs Wilson Npro surge

Mr.Federer
01-02-2006, 07:40 AM
I know I made a topic about the npro vs npro surge...but now I cut down my decisions between these two...which did you like better and why?

All usefull and helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mr.Federer
01-02-2006, 10:20 AM
anyone????

joe1987
01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
I did a playtest on the nprosurge. Do a search.

Mr.Federer
01-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I did a playtest on the nprosurge. Do a search.

But how does it compare to the Ntour?

AndrewD
01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
nTour 95 has good power (sometimes surprising) but, overall, I was a bit disappointed with it. Possibly it was the slightly longer frame but I could never get into a groove with it except off the backhand ( think that might have a bit to do with the Wilson grip shape which suits my backhand). Even then, I didn't find a lot of bit on my slice backhand but I did have very excellent control of backhand drives. Normally I don't notice .25 inch extra but I seemed to with the nTour, on groundstrokes as well as volleys.

I wouldn't recommend it to doubles players or singles players who serve-volley or spend a lot of time at the net. I guess that isn't surprising if you look at the women on tour who use it - their style of play. Seems better suited to a baseline style, in particular those who hit flatter off both sides.

Sorry, haven't tried the Surge as yet.

Mr.Federer
01-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks Andrew...just the answer I was looking for...but if anybody else has anything else to say concerning these two frames...please share.

Thanks.

tarkowski
01-02-2006, 05:06 PM
I've played a bit with each.

The nTour has a higher swingweight and you can definitely feel it. It's the same weight as the Surge. Due to it's balance, it is more solid and more sluggish at that weight. I thought it was much better than the Surge for my 1HBH and I didn't find any trouble with the extra length.

IMO, the Surge is an easier stick to hit with. It is very fast and whippy and more manuverable at net. My serves had serious heat with the Surge. Although it's more manuverable, it also has more power, and I had to modify my technique at net and at the basline to keep the balls in. Since it's so whippy, it wasn't hard to do - just add more topspin.

I didn't have any trouble with quick volleys with the nTour. It's not as fast as the Surge, but still pretty manuverable.

My wife is currently playing with the nTour and wanted something with a bigger head that was more manuverable. She demoed the Surge and the Prince Shark and is going with the Shark - sort of inbetween the Surge and the nTour in playing characteristics.

Mr.Federer
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
tarkowski, how did you find the control that the surge offered? If there was any... And for the Ntour, is it more of a frame for medium swings or longer swings?

AndrewD
01-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I think it depends on how short your strokes are. A medium length swing with the nTour95 will yield a good result, assuming you have good timing. Longer swings will do the same. I know it's rated as best suited to fast swings but I don't think that's something to put you off.

I still don't believe the nTour is the best racquet for net play. We are trying to split hairs here and while not necessarily sluggish it isn't the quickest frame. If you play most of your tennis up at net then you'll most likely find other more suitable frames. I did also find it had less touch and a bit more pop than I like when volleying or was expecting from a frame with a 61 flex rating. Nothing you can't adjust to but, as I said, we are trying to split hairs.

OdinLoki
01-02-2006, 08:24 PM
My NPro Surge review
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78187

I've tried the nTour. The swingweight is definitely higher than the Surge. As another poster stated, it's not the best racquet to volley with.

The control offered by NPro Surge is very satisfactory, IMHO. No problem using it for doubles or serve&volley tennis.

andyroddick's mojo
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I tried the npro surge, and it is very whippy. easy to hit with topspin and very manuverable like tarkowski said. If you don't really want alot of weight, I'd say its a good choice. Plus, you don't see many guys on tour with ntour's do you? only lots of women. lol.

goober
01-02-2006, 10:14 PM
N Tour OS is ok for a oversize. Borderline grannystick. I was forced to play with it once after I broke 2 sets of strings and had to borrow a racquet. It light and had too much pop for my tastes.

The 95 version is much better for control and ground strokes. It swings heavy even though it weighs fairly light because of the the even balance. It is lower powered than the Ncode surge.

It really depends on what you are looking for i the end.

If you are a baseliner looking for control I would get a the 95 Ntour. It is has leanings towards a players racquet. I actually liked it a lot.

Surge is better all around racquet and is similar to the old surge but a little more flexible. It is more HL and has more power. It similar to a Prince Shark, PD type of racquet.

The OS version - if you want a tweener that is closer to a granny stick with lots of power you may be interested.

joe1987
01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
But how does it compare to the Ntour?

There are some points on the comparism in the playtest.

Just to sum it up, ntour is more baseline orientated. npro more all court. It depends on your style of play. yes, the ntour is for medium swing, infact both are for a medium swing as they give plenty of power. npro gave me some arm problems and I was surprised as I had used a pure drive before without any problems. However, I think that they are abit too light weight you may want to try the Lm instinct which I prefered over the 2 rackets.

Mr.Federer
01-03-2006, 06:52 AM
I tried the npro surge, and it is very whippy. easy to hit with topspin and very manuverable like tarkowski said. If you don't really want alot of weight, I'd say its a good choice. Plus, you don't see many guys on tour with ntour's do you? only lots of women. lol.

Really? I was sure that Henin-Hardenne was in the atp..:rolleyes: anyways thanks for the info guys...but if anyone else has anything else to say concerning these two frames...please share

Thanks.

tarkowski
01-03-2006, 07:05 AM
tarkowski, how did you find the control that the surge offered? If there was any... And for the Ntour, is it more of a frame for medium swings or longer swings?

I just read goober and joe1987 comments and agree completely. Both nTour and Surge give great results with medium-style swings. With enough topspin, you can swing out and still feel good about ball placement. Depending on the string job, one stick could be made more powerful than the other, however all things being equal, the Surge has more power. I think with tighter strings and more topspin, the Surge is a very nice racquet to hit with. The nTour can provide better control, even when strung lower, and IMO, is more comfortable on the arm.

One more item: IMO, the one Surge weakness compared to the nTour is in service return. The Surge really needs to be in motion to provide some weight against a fast ball.

Mr.Federer
01-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I just read goober and joe1987 comments and agree completely. Both nTour and Surge give great results with medium-style swings. With enough topspin, you can swing out and still feel good about ball placement. Depending on the string job, one stick could be made more powerful than the other, however all things being equal, the Surge has more power. I think with tighter strings and more topspin, the Surge is a very nice racquet to hit with. The nTour can provide better control, even when strung lower, and IMO, is more comfortable on the arm.

One more item: IMO, the one Surge weakness compared to the nTour is in service return. The Surge really needs to be in motion to provide some weight against a fast ball.

Well, I'm gonna demo these two frames like in a week or two...by the way, what does "IMO" mean? Thanks for the info...once again, if someone has any other comments regarding these two frames please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

tarkowski
01-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Well, I'm gonna demo these two frames like in a week or two...by the way, what does "IMO" mean? Thanks for the info...once again, if someone has any other comments regarding these two frames please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

IMO= "In My Opinion"

tarkowski
01-03-2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks.

IMO= "In My Opinion"; just noting that it's a subjective thing and some people may not agree, unlike things like static weights which cannot be argued. :-)

Have fun demoing!

Mr.Federer
01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Oh, I've got another question regarding these frames...is the ntour evenly balanced? Same question for the Npro surge.

Thanks.

tarkowski
01-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh, I've got another question regarding these frames...is the ntour evenly balanced? Same question for the Npro surge.

Thanks.

Strung, the nTour is even-balanced to just slightly head-heavy (1pt or so).

nPro Surge is around 4pts head-light.

nomis_bmw
01-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Just my two cents on the ntour-

I've recently switched to the wilson ntour and like it alot...I picked the ntour over the n-six one because it was significantly lighter and I could swing with it for a few sets without tiring my arm too much. It has quite a bit of power but like the others have pointed out, the extra length is very noticable. The extra length is good for my two handed backhand but strokes don't feel as compact as if I was hitting with my pure drive.

The ntour has really good control even against hard hit shots and serving with it is pretty solid too. I haven't demoed the npro surge so can't tell you anything about it.

Although only wta tour players are using ntour, I still think its very suitable for guys too. Don't we all wish we could hit groundstrokes like davenport and who cares if wta players are the only ones using it since most are paintjobs anyways...

joe1987
01-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks.

It depends on the string. Yeah, ntour is about even and npro is about 4pts headlight.
Note that although the spin is good, the ball isn't heavy and doesn't bite. On the point of service return, yup you really have to swing the npro to get a good deep shot but the benefit is that it is easy to get around, giving you more time to prepare.

tarkowski
01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
The one thing to note about the nTour's .25 extra length, is that it is almost all in the head. When compared to the nSixOne 95, the nTour head is narrower and longer. This may explain why I never felt 'jammed' at net and was quite comfortable with the extra length. Contrast this to the Surge, X, Shark, and Shark Longbody where all of the extra length is in the handle, and .5 of it at that.

The one irritating thing about the longer, skinnier head, is that the strings seem to move a bit more, require more effort to get back into place, and 'bunch-up' near the middle to make it so that the strings are nearly right on top of one another.