PDA

View Full Version : King Mojo, my brother, a question...

lude popper
01-02-2006, 11:05 AM
gotta guy here who wants to size his volkl T10g2 up from 3/8 >1/2.

Is it easy to get pallets(where to get?), is it easy to perform the surgery, and is there a high success rate, i.e., does frame still play well.

thanks my brother in advance for your dedication and service to these boards ...

Masamusou
01-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm not Mojo, but I've done this. To get the pallets, call TW and ask for them. As far as installation goes, simple, just need about an hour of work and a day for the glue to cure. You basically just heat the old pallet a little to loosen the existing glue. Then peel off the old pallet, clean the handle off. Measure the pallets against the handle and cut off any excess. Then just use Gorilla Glue to attach the new pallets. Clamp them with something like a C clamp or two, and let them sit for about a day to cure. I didn't have any C clamps when I did this work on my old C-10s so I just tied a few old shoelaces around the pallets really tight and it held fine. If any glue seeps out, just get it off, it chips away pretty easily, and then regrip and all the normal stuff.

lude popper
01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm not Mojo, but I've done this. To get the pallets, call TW and ask for them. As far as installation goes, simple, just need about an hour of work and a day for the glue to cure. You basically just heat the old pallet a little to loosen the existing glue. Then peel off the old pallet, clean the handle off. Measure the pallets against the handle and cut off any excess. Then just use Gorilla Glue to attach the new pallets. Clamp them with something like a C clamp or two, and let them sit for about a day to cure. I didn't have any C clamps when I did this work on my old C-10s so I just tied a few old shoelaces around the pallets really tight and it held fine. If any glue seeps out, just get it off, it chips away pretty easily, and then regrip and all the normal stuff.

nice work. if they need to be cut, is there a method or instrument that works best... thanks again for your time

Masamusou
01-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Use a VERY fine toothed saw, and only apply pressure on the forward stroke. You have to be very careful not to crack the pallets. Just cut cleanly and then use a file to smooth it out if necessary.

DANMAN
01-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Anybody have an idea how much the pallets cost?

Masamusou
01-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Assuming that it is too much hassle to pick up a phone and call TW, they will probably run around $10. That's for the pallets and the buttcap of corresponding size.

lude popper
01-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Use a VERY fine toothed saw, and only apply pressure on the forward stroke. You have to be very careful not to crack the pallets. Just cut cleanly and then use a file to smooth it out if necessary.

nice, again.

NoBadMojo
01-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Aye Lude. Happy New Year and thanks for the tip you gave me on David Foster Wallace earlier...appreciate it .
TW does have these and you need to call them to get them. You should be able to do this in about 15 minutes and you can play with it as soon as you like after.
-Remove the grip and pop the staples off the butt cap using a small screwdriver (there are usually 4 of them). Remove the butt cap.
-The pallet is in two halves and you will see seams on the long axis. heat the pallet using a hair dryer to soften the glue a bit. Stick something in the seams and twist it about and the pallet should separate from the handle (I use a broad tipped screwdriver). When a bit loose you should be able to pull it off and if careful may be able to reuse the old pallet altho they tend to get pretty brittle and crack when removing if they are on an older frame
-If you arent left with enough glue tape on the handle you can remove it and use a spray adhesive or fresh glue tape . If the glue material is still on the handle rather than coming off with the pallet and is still tacky, you can just heat that until really sticky and slap the two pallet halves on there and dont even need the spray adhesive. Gorilla glue and cclamps and 24 hour drying time isnt necessary as the stapled butt cap and grip wrapped over top, in additon to the glue makes everything secure. The new pallet will likely be too long so put one half lined up at the top and trim the bottom to fit. Stick the other half on and also trim the butt end to flush.
-Stick the butt cap on and staple, regrip, call it a day and off you go. Should take about 15 minutes.
Disclaimers: I have done many pallets like this for a long time and have never had a problem. Sorry if i missed some minour step in the process. I am aware this can be done via other means, but I've found this way to be fast and simple and secure. no personal attacks for my posting this.

DANMAN
01-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Assuming that it is too much hassle to pick up a phone and call TW, they will probably run around $10. That's for the pallets and the buttcap of corresponding size.

In no way am I offended by this comment but in my opinion remarks like these lead to lots of the arguments on the board that occur. I figured that someone knowledgeable about pallets might just mention in passing that they are x$. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I hate to call places just to check how much something is if I am not really ready to order anything...I figured I would save them some time and wait until I was actually ready to place an order. You could have just said $10.00 or not replied at all...no need for your implying laziness or anything else on my part. This board is meant to be used for exchange of information. I was not asking for a detailed explanation of anything.

Masamusou
01-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, actually, I can't give an honest answer for sure. I ordered mine a long time ago, before they really started carrying them much, and they were $5, but I imagine they would cost more because the buttcaps alone are $4. The $10 is really just a guess because I don't know for sure. I understand about not always wanting to call, but in that situation I would probably just send an email inquiry directly to TW. Not implying laziness, at all, and it's not your fault. No worries man.

lude popper
01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Aye Lude. Happy New Year and thanks for the tip you gave me on David Foster Wallace earlier...appreciate it .
TW does have these and you need to call them to get them. You should be able to do this in about 15 minutes and you can play with it as soon as you like after.
-Remove the grip and pop the staples off the butt cap using a small screwdriver (there are usually 4 of them). Remove the butt cap.
-The pallet is in two halves and you will see seams on the long axis. heat the pallet using a hair dryer to soften the glue a bit. Stick something in the seams and twist it about and the pallet should separate from the handle (I use a broad tipped screwdriver). When a bit loose you should be able to pull it off and if careful may be able to reuse the old pallet altho they tend to get pretty brittle and crack when removing if they are on an older frame
-If you arent left with enough glue tape on the handle you can remove it and use a spray adhesive or fresh glue tape . If the glue material is still on the handle rather than coming off with the pallet and is still tacky, you can just heat that until really sticky and slap the two pallet halves on there and dont even need the spray adhesive. Gorilla glue and cclamps and 24 hour drying time isnt necessary as the stapled butt cap and grip wrapped over top, in additon to the glue makes everything secure. The new pallet will likely be too long so put one half lined up at the top and trim the bottom to fit. Stick the other half on and also trim the butt end to flush.
-Stick the butt cap on and staple, regrip, call it a day and off you go. Should take about 15 minutes.
Disclaimers: I have done many pallets like this for a long time and have never had a problem. Sorry if i missed some minour step in the process. I am aware this can be done via other means, but I've found this way to be fast and simple and secure. no personal attacks for my posting this.

thanks brother -- incredible detail and thoughtful as per usual.

NoBadMojo
01-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Aye Lude..Glad to help. Hope to see you contributing to the forum more. We need more posters like you who know tennis and have humour.
As an adjunct, I really dont suggest Gorilla gluing pallets to handle, as that's likely gonna make it really tough to remove a gorilla fused pallet the next time around.
Disclaimer: This is not an attack on the poster recommending Gorilla Glue nor the Gorilla Glue product itself

ace of spades
01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Its funny mojo how you now use a disclaimer to avoid being attacked
you should have used those in the past when everyone was throwing crap at you.

NoBadMojo
01-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Ace..ya man. it's a shame.