PDA

View Full Version : Ever used "Alpha Viper Balance Board" to customize

HT
06-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I wondering to anyone have used the balance board and was it successful in cumstomizing your racquet? I have three different mid size racquets that would like to adjust to one particular balance.

Thank you for any feedback,
HT

Kirko
06-03-2004, 05:33 PM
They use it where I get my rackets strung & used it on my racket I thought good results.

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I have used one for several years. However, balance isn't the whole story. If you are going to match racquets, a scale that is accurate to within one gram is also needed. You really need to match balance, weight and swingweight or at least tip weight.

HT
06-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Gaines, I'm looking for a lost friend from Dedham or near by, MA. He was a great tennis player and also a USRSA member. I was wondering since you are a member if you can get me the contact info. The name is Kevin Yee.
Thanks for you help.
HT

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2004, 05:59 PM
HT, AFAIK, the USRSA site doesn't have a member lookup. You can request a free temporary password to the website and look around for yourself. Ck it out at www.racquettech.com .

HT
06-03-2004, 06:06 PM
I tried that, could find him in the listing. Although I think it's outdate. Thanks anyway.

HT

swatter
06-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Here's a tip. You can lay a broomstick on a table securing it with tape and then tape down a measuring tape so that 0 inches is underneath the centre line of the broomstick. Secure the tape at each end so it does not move and you have a pretty decent way to measure the balance point.

Like Gaines said you must also have a scale accurate to 1 gram.

Gaines Hillix
06-05-2004, 06:01 AM
HT, I went to the USRSA website in the member section and did a search on Yee and got several hits, but they weren't the guy you are looking for. This was in the listing of ATP tour players. Good luck with your search :-).

TMB
06-05-2004, 07:21 PM
I've had good results with the balance board; it's easy to use. As others say, a scale is essential as well. To respond to another post, I didn't have much success with the broom approach that's described, but then again I've never been very good with a broom.

HT
06-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks Gaines, for looking into my missing tennis buddy.

Swatter, I'll try the broom technique, but if it does work, I'll have to get the Alpha balancer. Where can I get a reliable scale for racquet?

HT

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2004, 06:15 AM
HT, the best deal on a scale is a digital postal scale, which you can buy at places like Staples and Office Max. These can weigh in 1 gram increments, which is what you need for customizing racquets. You can also mactch what is called tip weight. Once you get the static weight and balance where you want it without permanently attaching the lead tape, you weigh the tip of the frame. You do that by getting a block of wood or other material that is exaclty the same height as the bed of the scale. Place the block of wood 27" from the middle of the scale. Make a mark on the block and put the butt of the racquet on there. Then you put the tip of the racquet on the scale making sure you always use the same spot and then take your measurement. Match the frames on this measurement in addition to balance and total weight. Some people say this is almost as good as having a swingweight analyzer.