PDA

View Full Version : PK type-c, LM prestige mid, PS 85

MasterOfDisaster
01-02-2006, 01:48 PM
can anyone compare the 3???

im a college level player, all around game but mostly serve n volley. ive used both the LM prestige and PS 85 n like em both, just wanna see how the type c compares

Marius_Hancu
01-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Any thought on the PK type C
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78757

ssjkyle31
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Give it a whirl. I can't really compare the new type c with the LM Prestige. I only took a LM prestige mid for a few rallies. I liked the the type c more then the 85 even though it was my first time playing with the type C redondo edition. I had demo the PS 85 when it was first introduce but never really like the stiffness of kevlar. I preferred either 100% graphite or ceramic / fiberglass mix. That the reason I started to demo the prokennex heritage redondo edition.

There are quite subtle differences in the grip shape for both head, wilson and Prokennex. I think the quality of the PK is superb compared to the PS 85 and the LM prestige.

With the older PK Type C(80-20%) you need to ask other poster about the racket. I think players who want any mid racket is not looking for power, just control. This racket maybe for you. You may want to write Prokennex and getting a sponsorship even though I have never seen a sponsored PK player at any tennis tournaments. http://www.snowwebdesign.com/prokennex/contact.html They have racketball sponsorship.

emerckx53
01-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Give it a whirl. I can't really compare the new type c with the LM Prestige. I only took a LM prestige mid for a few rallies. I liked the the type c more then the 85 even though it was my first time playing with the type C redondo edition. I had demo the PS 85 a when it was first introduce but never really like the stiffness of kevlar. I preferred either 100% graphite or ceramic / fiberglass mix. That the reason I started to deno the prokennex heritage.

There are quite subtle differences in the grip shape for both head, wilson and Prokennex. I think the quality of the PK is superb compared to the PS 85 and the LM prestige.

With the older PK Type C(80-20%) you need to ask other poster about the racket. I think players who want any mid racket is not looking for power, just control. This racket maybe for you. You may want to write Prokennex and getting a sponsorship even though I have never seen a sponsored PK player at any tennis tournaments. http://www.snowwebdesign.com/prokennex/contact.html They have racketball sponsorship.

I didn't even know this racquet existed..the specs look great. I have heard several times that Kennex is the only company using a material that actually works and is different in the industry? Is this a stick I should consider against the rdx 500 and volkl ve 93 mid?

southpaw
01-02-2006, 06:44 PM
can anyone compare the 3???

im a college level player, all around game but mostly serve n volley. ive used both the LM prestige and PS 85 n like em both, just wanna see how the type c compares

Although the Type C's mold is almost identical to the prestige's, in many ways it is closer to the 85. Overall, I would place it somewhere between the 85 and LM. Grip shape is closer to the Wilson than the Head. The PK's hit is crisper than the LM, but softer than the 85. Swingweight and maneuverability of the 85 and PK are almost the same, while the LM feels heavier and swings more like a whip. I think the 85 and PK are both great volleying sticks, with the half volleys, droppers and touch shots going to the 85. Spin potential is a tie between the LM and PK. Comfort level of the PK and LM is about the same, while the 85 is by far the harshest. The LM is very kind to the elbow and other joints, PK is good also, the 85 can be brutal if you don't nail that sweetspot. Ball feel of the 85 is the best, while the PK is borderline awful. Power -> LM, PK, then 85. Control -> 85, PK, LM. Serves can be wicked with all 3. Probably the best reason to use any of them. The PK shares the prestige's first serve bomb potential, and at the same time is easy to swing fast for good kickers.

For an all courter or baseliner, the nod would go to the LM. If I were a SV style player, it would be a toss up between the 85 or the PK. Other small things worth mentioning - Because the grommet holes are so small, the PK can be a bit of a pain when stringing two piece. And its old school, really old school. When they say heritage, they are not lying. Its sound and feel are very 80's. Still, I really like the PK and think its an overlooked diamond in the rough and definitely worth a demo.

Ronaldo
01-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Master of Disaster, demo the Type C. Had a pr. in 5/8 over a year ago and it really never felt like any Prestige. Stiffer or more harsh, an odd balance, just disliked the racquet. But that was the older Type C 93, maybe the new one is different. Btw, comparing it to the iPrestige, Prestige Tour, and PC mids not the LM version.

emerckx53
01-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Although the Type C's mold is almost identical to the prestige's, in many ways it is closer to the 85. Overall, I would place it somewhere between the 85 and LM. Grip shape is closer to the Wilson than the Head. The PK's hit is crisper than the LM, but softer than the 85. Swingweight and maneuverability of the 85 and PK are almost the same, while the LM feels heavier and swings more like a whip. I think the 85 and PK are both great volleying sticks, with the half volleys, droppers and touch shots going to the 85. Spin potential is a tie between the LM and PK. Comfort level of the PK and LM is about the same, while the 85 is by far the harshest. The LM is very kind to the elbow and other joints, PK is good also, the 85 can be brutal if you don't nail that sweetspot. Ball feel of the 85 is the best, while the PK is borderline awful. Power -> LM, PK, then 85. Control -> 85, PK, LM. Serves can be wicked with all 3. Probably the best reason to use any of them. The PK shares the prestige's first serve bomb potential, and at the same time is easy to swing fast for good kickers.

For an all courter or baseliner, the nod would go to the LM. If I were a SV style player, it would be a toss up between the 85 or the PK. Other small things worth mentioning - Because the grommet holes are so small, the PK can be a bit of a pain when stringing two piece. And its old school, really old school. When they say heritage, they are not lying. Its sound and feel are very 80's. Still, I really like the PK and think its an overlooked diamond in the rough and definitely worth a demo.

That was why I joined this place...great info.

Keifers
01-05-2006, 12:00 AM
emerckx53, if you can, I would highly recommend demoing the Type C (93 and 98). Easy through TW's demo program.

skraggle
01-07-2006, 10:56 PM
My impressions:

PS 85:
Fantastic racquet, but it demands your "A" game at all times. If you're out of shape, have trouble hitting the middle of the stringbed or have difficulty with heavy racquets, you will be hating it.

If, on the other hand, you're in shape, can nail the sweetspot and can swing lumber, there's nothing this stick can't do. It's a little harder to get extreme topspin, but serving, volleying, and groundies are a joy with this scalpel. Feel and control are without peer. But in the third set, you really start feeling the effects of wielding it and can start getting sloppy.

Liquidmetal Mid:
Perhaps the best serving racquet I've ever had. But for me, that's where the happiness ended. The "waggle" that helps so much on the serve made all the other strokes feel plain weird and the grip shape does not work for me. Could not get comfortable at net or back court and so it departed the quiver quite quickly.

PK Heritage C:
My favorite of the three by the slimmest of margins over the 85. The swingweight is terrific and the overall weight is probably the best I've ever felt. Serves almost as good as the LM (which is still REALLY good), but it's on groundstrokes and volleys that this stick shines. I can paint the corners and then come in and stick a dagger volley.

I disagree with the previous poster that said the feel was borderline awful. Yes, it's no 85, but it has a buttery feel and well-hit balls feel great. I can play five sets with it no problem. It even has the best looks of any racquet out there, IMHO.

Hope that helps...

emerckx53
01-08-2006, 02:32 PM
emerckx53, if you can, I would highly recommend demoing the Type C (93 and 98). Easy through TW's demo program.

Thanks Keifer, I will give it a go.

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks Keifer, I will give it a go.

check my link above on the new Redondo C (100% graphite), not available yet from TW.

emerckx53
01-08-2006, 09:02 PM
check my link above on the new Redondo C (100% graphite), not available yet from TW.

Thanks Marius......what is the release date? etc...I have a pretty good Kennex dealer that would probably order it but won't have demos I am sure,,,