PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Advice Needed...

duffman
01-02-2006, 01:15 PM
My brief tennis history is as follows:

Began playing tennis about 1 yr ago, joined a USTA league last march playing @ 3.0 level. Began to quickly improve based mostly on athletic ability but didn't know much about the fundamentals of tennis. I hooked up with a 4.5 player to practice with and my game started to really take off. I was successful at the 3.0 level but now I'm playing against 4.0 and 4.5 level players and winning the majority of my matches against the 4.0's and am competitive with the 4.5's. This upcoming season I plan on competing at the 4.0 level for USTA league competition.

For most of this time I used the Wilson Pro Staff surge which I was quite happy with. However a recent development has led me to believe it is time to upgrade to more of a player's racquet. A substantial crack developed near the top of my frame and I continued to use it to put it out of its misery. The funny thing was as the crack worsened and continued to grow until it was completely through the frame I began to like the way the racquet played more and more. I could swing from the baseline more agressively and the ball would not fly on me and my flat serve started to really become a consistent weapon. The crack finally did in this racquet and I went back to my other surge that was in normal operating condition and the ball was flying all over the place. I felt like the ball was just springing off my racquet!

So my question is, instead of scouring the internet for a replacement surge pro staff should I upgrade to something along the lines of the Wilson Ncode 6.1 95? I've been reading the reviews and it seems like it would make a logical step up. Would this racquet feel more like my cracked surge, lol?

Thanks, for reading my life story and I'm eagerly awaiting any responses...

Marius_Hancu
01-02-2006, 01:22 PM
FWIW, check my advice here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

jck01
01-04-2006, 10:09 PM
If you're not sure about what to buy, I would demo a few racquets before settling on any racquet.

panic
01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Demo as much of the newer and older racquets you can.

JediMindTrick
01-05-2006, 06:58 AM
It sounds like you liked the Surge after it cracked because it had less power. The nCode 95 is a lot heavier than the Surge and it may not be as low power as you want. That being said, it is a great racquet (one of the best on the market in my opinion) and you should certainly demo it because you will find out if you like playing with a heavier racquet or a lighter one. If you find out that you need a racquet lighter than the nCode 95 and lower powered than the Surge, look at Yonex RDX 500 MP or Prince O3 Tour.

Kaptain Karl
01-05-2006, 07:25 AM
duffman - First, welcome to TW.

I taught for twelve years and have coached HS Boys for four. One "absolute" I can tell you is ... the BEST racket for one player can be the worst racket for another. IOW, there's no shortcut to doing your own demos.

(The last time I changed rackets was four years ago. I demo-ed about 20 different sticks from Wilson, Head, Yonex, Dunlop, Fischer and Prince ... all mostly the same category. Totally frustrated, I tried a completely different class racket from Yonex -- and loved it!)

One of my practice partners -- who is a 5.5+ -- has a very similar game to mine. We play with VERY different sticks ... and each of us cannot stand the other's racket.

Racket choices are really "particular" to the individual. TW's demo program is super. Have fun with it....

- KK

duffman
01-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the advise guys, looks like I'll definately be trying out the TW demo program. Any other suggestions in addition to trying the yonex mp 500, prince 03 tour, and wilson ncode 6.1 95?