PDA

View Full Version : I almost died this morning

Lee
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Life is crazy. I am not supposed to be here tonight, being at home and browsing the tennis forum. This morning, my friend and I were inches away from getting killed on highway 5 in central California.

I was driving North bond at approximately 60 miles per hour on the left lane in a 2-lane highway. It was raining like there was no tomorrow; the raging wind was hurling at ~40 miles per hour. I was driving behind a black Frontier truck and all of the sudden, the truck lost complete control and the front of the truck was facing me! Shocked, my first instinct told me to swerve to the right lane. However, the wind was blowing my car to the left, so my car started spinning in circles in the middle of the highway! My buddy and I were fully awake but there was absolutely nothing we could do but see the car spin in circles. Luckily, I was able to swerve the car to the grass and the mud on the right side of the highway. Both of us were unharmed and my car was not damaged.

We could have been critically injured (or dead) in the following situation:

When my car was spinning in circles, the car behind us was too fast to stop and hit us.
If the wind was stronger and blew my car to the other side (South bond) of the highway. There was no divider between these two directions, so it could easily have happened.
If the right side of the high way was made of concrete (instead of mud and grass) we would probably have been dead. It was completely pitch black when I smashed the car into the mud, at about 30 miles per hour. Imagine what would have happened if I smashed the car into a concrete wall at 30 miles per hour.

I just feel so fortunate to be alive right now. The images of my car spinning and my buddy screaming “oh my god we are gonna die!” have occupied my mind the entire day. I really could not sum up my feelings in words right now, but I can only tell you that I do not want to die at the age of 22 in the middle of nowhere in California. I am very emotionally traumatized at the moment, that I really could not organize my thoughts. Life is no doubt a crazy ride.

fishuuuuu
01-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Somebody up there loves you.

RiosTheGenius
01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
well, good to hear you're still with us

Fee
01-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Please tell me you were wearing your seatbelt.

Glad you made it out in one piece.

snoflewis
01-02-2006, 11:41 PM
its great that you were able to come out unharmed. i know it rained hard the past couple days, and i could only imagine how hard it was raining up there (i live in so cal). glad you made it.

how was the person in the nissan frontier?

Sixpointone
01-02-2006, 11:49 PM
I am glad that both you and your friend are still with us Lee. All My Best to both of you.

diredesire
01-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Think of it as a second chance. Go out there and do something great. Don't sit around and think about what might've happened. You've been blessed, don't forget it.

35ft6
01-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Yikes. That's scary, dude. Lucky indeed! :)

jeebeesus
01-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Lucky for you buddy. Amitha Buddha

BreakPoint
01-03-2006, 01:45 AM
You were indeed very lucky!! :D Yes, it could have been much worse! Someone must have been looking out for you. You've got an extended lease on life so make good use of it.

The rain and the high wind have indeed been very nasty in CA lately. I'm a little surprised there haven't been even more major accidents on the major highways.

I also drove northbound on Highway I-5 a few days ago, and we really lucked out as we drove during the few hours in the past week that it wasn't raining. It started raining again as soon as we reached our destination. I-5 can get really nasty in bad weather.

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago in NYC. I was driving out of the Lincoln Tunnel on the NJ side in a freezing light rain and going up the ramp which eventually leads to the NJ Turnpike. I was driving a BMW 318is, which are notorious for bad traction in winter weather due to the light weight and rear wheel drive. The guy in front was going really slow so I was trying to pass him on the left going up the ramp which curves to the left. I must have accelerated too much as the next thing I knew I felt my rear tires losing traction on the slippery, wet road, and the worst part was that I couldn't do anything at all about my tires starting to slide. I tried to regain control but my car just started doing 360's and spinning out of control. The car spun towards the side railing on the right side of the road and I thought I was definitely dead since if the car broke through the railing, it was at least a 30 foot drop to the ground below. Amazingly, for some reason still unbeknownst to me, the car just stopped, inches away from the railing. I don't know what caused it to stop abruptly as it was spinning like crazy. When I looked up, I saw that my car front was facing the oncoming traffic, so the next thing I thought was I was still going to die because these cars won't have enough time to stop on the slippery surface and will all slam head-on into me. Amazingly, they all stopped before hitting me! They must have seen my spinning somehow even though they were coming around an almost blind curve and hit their ABS brakes just in time. Then my car stalled and wouldn't start, until I remembered that my headlights were still on. I turned off the headlights and the car started and I headed home. Whew, that was a close one and I also felt that night that I escaped certain death! :D

jonolau
01-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Glad to hear all is well. It sure is a scary thing to happen. Makes you question your mortality and appreciate what you have.

I went through a similar life-bending experience with my wife when we went on holiday in Brisbane 5 years ago ...

sdslyout
01-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I'd say you were using your brain. 1 you left enough distance between you and the truck you were following. 2 you slowed enough for the conditions. 3 you didn't panic(didn't have time too ) 4 seat belts. as far as luck goes, you were lucky there wasn't a 18 wheeler on your *** who had been driving for like 30 hours already and both you and the truck in front of you are lucky the truck didn't slid into on-coming traffic. You owe !! Do something to help out someone or something that doesn't deserve it or didn't ask for help. make it " heart-felt "
and then have a great year.

Rickson
01-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Life is crazy. I am not supposed to be here tonight, being at home and browsing the tennis forum. This morning, my friend and I were inches away from getting killed on highway 5 in central California.

I was driving North bond at approximately 60 miles per hour on the left lane in a 2-lane highway. It was raining like there was no tomorrow; the raging wind was hurling at ~40 miles per hour. I was driving behind a black Frontier truck and all of the sudden, the truck lost complete control and the front of the truck was facing me! Shocked, my first instinct told me to swerve to the right lane. However, the wind was blowing my car to the left, so my car started spinning in circles in the middle of the highway! My buddy and I were fully awake but there was absolutely nothing we could do but see the car spin in circles. Luckily, I was able to swerve the car to the grass and the mud on the right side of the highway. Both of us were unharmed and my car was not damaged.

We could have been critically injured (or dead) in the following situation:

When my car was spinning in circles, the car behind us was too fast to stop and hit us.
If the wind was stronger and blew my car to the other side (South bond) of the highway. There was no divider between these two directions, so it could easily have happened.
If the right side of the high way was made of concrete (instead of mud and grass) we would probably have been dead. It was completely pitch black when I smashed the car into the mud, at about 30 miles per hour. Imagine what would have happened if I smashed the car into a concrete wall at 30 miles per hour.

I just feel so fortunate to be alive right now. The images of my car spinning and my buddy screaming “oh my god we are gonna die!” have occupied my mind the entire day. I really could not sum up my feelings in words right now, but I can only tell you that I do not want to die at the age of 22 in the middle of nowhere in California. I am very emotionally traumatized at the moment, that I really could not organize my thoughts. Life is no doubt a crazy ride.
Thank God you're ok. I was in a similar situation last year, when some idiot girl starting swerving left and right until she smashed into me and sent me spinning on the highway. I did everything I could to avoid the girl and she even missed me on her first swerve, but her second swerve rammed me. Why couldn't this horrendous driver realize that she was supposed to avoid other cars, not use them as her brakes?

Docalex007
01-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Glad your still with us, Lee. My cousin (19), died last month a couple of weeks before Christmas as he was a passenger in a car that was T-boned on his side. He probably never felt a thing. His driver friend came out ok, but they were best friends and he has to live with the fact that he was at the helm when his friend died and he is ok. But you can't blame him, we try to support him as much as possible because he is in bad shape and breaks down all the time. It's tough.

That incident has really numbed me and sent a reality check through my system. We humans are just so fragile, we can't take too much. I have become a more aware driver since last month too. I'm also NOT going to ride with someone in the car if I don't know them or if I don't trust their driving abilities....it's just too big of a risk to put your life in someone's hands like that. Make sure you know and trust their driving skills.

Anyway, that was a scary situation Lee. But what happened, happened, and your OK which is important...and life goes on.

Noelle
01-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, glad you're still around to tell the tale. :o

Geezer Guy
01-03-2006, 11:57 AM
I was just a bit younger than you when I had my first serious accident. It also involved spinning out of control on a wet, rainy road. (It also involved me drinking a bit too much, but that was way back in the day when the cops would just roll their eyes and tell you to be more careful next time.)

Anyway, after that I really leaned that wearing a seatbelt is critical to being able to control a car, and I learned respect for slippery conditions.

I hope you learned something from your close call as well.

Lee
01-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago in NYC. I was driving out of the Lincoln Tunnel on the NJ side in a freezing light rain and going up the ramp which eventually leads to the NJ Turnpike. I was driving a BMW 318is, which are notorious for bad traction in winter weather due to the light weight and rear wheel drive. The guy in front was going really slow so I was trying to pass him on the left going up the ramp which curves to the left. I must have accelerated too much as the next thing I knew I felt my rear tires losing traction on the slippery, wet road, and the worst part was that I couldn't do anything at all about my tires starting to slide. I tried to regain control but my car just started doing 360's and spinning out of control. The car spun towards the side railing on the right side of the road and I thought I was definitely dead since if the car broke through the railing, it was at least a 30 foot drop to the ground below. Amazingly, for some reason still unbeknownst to me, the car just stopped, inches away from the railing. I don't know what caused it to stop abruptly as it was spinning like crazy. When I looked up, I saw that my car front was facing the oncoming traffic, so the next thing I thought was I was still going to die because these cars won't have enough time to stop on the slippery surface and will all slam head-on into me. Amazingly, they all stopped before hitting me! They must have seen my spinning somehow even though they were coming around an almost blind curve and hit their ABS brakes just in time. Then my car stalled and wouldn't start, until I remembered that my headlights were still on. I turned off the headlights and the car started and I headed home. Whew, that was a close one and I also felt that night that I escaped certain death! :D

Breakpoint,I know exactly how you felt--when you desperately wanted to have control of the car, but could only hopelessly see the car spinning in circles. In my case, the whole thing must have happened in less than 10 seconds, but it surely felt like an eternity--everything was in slow motion.

Fee, both of us were wearing a seatbelt. I was fully awake, after downing 2 cups of coffee an hour earlier. My buddy was sleeping, so when this happened, he thought he was in a bad dream.

Everyone else, I really appreciate your thoughts and concerns. I am an athiest but I could not help but wonder if there is someone out there, looking out for my back. I have not yet contributed enough to our society before it is my time to leave.

Geezer Guy
01-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Having an all-powerful supreme being that looks out for our back is a comforting thought. Too bad there's no proof to back that up. I'd say we're all on our own, and it's up to us to look out for each other.

dct5
01-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Lee,

I live in Central CA and was on the road too (I80), this past 2 storms that blew through. Scary!! Glad you and your friend are okay, you were lucky, everything seems like they were set up for you to get through it unscathed. Even as an atheist, I'd be throwing my arms wide and yelling THANK YOU to whatever/whoever was looking after you that day!

doriancito
01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
well, all what happens is already predicted, there is aparallel universe where what ever we have done in this world has already been done on the other parallel world of us 24 hours ahead so if the guy who is you of the parallel world died then you would have died, but its almost imposible to brake this prediction, that means the guy on the parallel universe is alive too, thats why we have De Ja Vu's all the time

Rickson
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
well, all what happens is already predicted, there is aparallel universe where what ever we have done in this world has already been done on the other parallel world of us 24 hours ahead so if the guy who is you of the parallel world died then you would have died, but its almost imposible to brake this prediction, that means the guy on the parallel universe is alive too, thats why we have De Ja Vu's all the time
Dude, this is not the place to post your weird fantasies.

MasterTS
01-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I have close calls like that often, mostly because I'm dead tired on the wheel and sweave into other lanes while doozing off for a split second. Luckly every time that it has happened, there wasn't a car to my right or left.

Aeropro joe
01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
glad u r still with us!

BankOfDad
01-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by doriancito

WHOA! I knew you were going to say that. It's like I remember it word for word only.....must be Deja Ve.

jonolau
01-04-2006, 12:16 AM
I have close calls like that often, mostly because I'm dead tired on the wheel and sweave into other lanes while doozing off for a split second. Luckly every time that it has happened, there wasn't a car to my right or left.
Don't mind me saying this, but that sounds really dangerous and poses a grave risk to innocent drivers around you. I'm doing outdoor sales and when I feel tired like this, I pull over at a safe location and take a 5 minute power nap. It's better to be late for an appointment than early at the undertaker ...

Docalex007
01-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Lee,

I live in Central CA and was on the road too (I80), this past 2 storms that blew through. Scary!! Glad you and your friend are okay, you were lucky, everything seems like they were set up for you to get through it unscathed. Even as an atheist, I'd be throwing my arms wide and yelling THANK YOU to whatever/whoever was looking after you that day!

Yes, one should thank physics and that they were on his side that day.

Lee
01-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Yeah, Alex, actually, my buddy is an engineering major and he told me that although the truck was facing me, the inertia is still pulling him toward the opposite direction. Hence, the most rational way to deal with this situation is to stay calm and gently step on the brake. How could I have known? I mean, of course when a large object coming at me at such a high velocity, my instinct was to swerve my car into another direction. No wonder I got a C- in my physics class three years ago :P

Lee
01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
I was just a bit younger than you when I had my first serious accident. It also involved spinning out of control on a wet, rainy road. (It also involved me drinking a bit too much, but that was way back in the day when the cops would just roll their eyes and tell you to be more careful next time.)

Anyway, after that I really leaned that wearing a seatbelt is critical to being able to control a car, and I learned respect for slippery conditions.

I hope you learned something from your close call as well.

I have always realized the importance of wearing a seatbelt, and I have always followed the rule dutifully. However, in the situation that I was in, I don't know if the seat belt had made a difference because if I were to hit by an incoming car at 80 miles per hour, or if I were to slam into a roadside concrete wall, I probably would have been critically injured.

Geezer Guy
01-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I have always realized the importance of wearing a seatbelt, and I have always followed the rule dutifully. However, in the situation that I was in, I don't know if the seat belt had made a difference because if I were to hit by an incoming car at 80 miles per hour, or if I were to slam into a roadside concrete wall, I probably would have been critically injured.

Yeah, maybe (or even "probably"), but with a seatbelt you would be held in place and the airbags would have deployed around you to reduce injury. Without the seatbelts (which is what happened to me) you'd be bouncing all over the interior of the car and possibly even ejected.

sdslyout
01-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Yep, and thats when you wake-up DEAD. Face it, it could have been much worse. Lots of people imagine how thier end will be. Me,i don't want my days to end at the hands of some low-life gang banger/robber or some young re-**** who thinks he/she can drive then crashes while going straight(freeway)

bc-05
01-04-2006, 10:31 AM
hey its good to hear that ur still alive... ive seen something similar to that once a couple of yrs ago.. we were supposed to go to up to queensland after our yr 12 graduation for this end of school party called 'schoolies'.. was about oclock in the morning we were all having fun.. until i saw the car behind us (our mates' car as well), 3 girls and 1 guy.. maybe u dont have this kind of highway in the US but in aus theres only 2 lanes going the opposite way.. and the only way u can overtake ppl is to go to the other side of the lane and hope that theres no car on the other side.. but it was so unlucky i was driving.. and i looked behind from the mirror.. and i saw this huge truck from the other lane trying to overtake someone and at the same time my mates car was there.. and i saw both collide.. and like until now that image is still in my mind.. the way that the car was smashed.. it was bad.. the wreckage didnt even looked like a car anymore it looked like a trash can.. i saw the body of my best friend and i swear.. she looked like a human paper.. she was flat.. it was the scariest thing ive ever seen.. and it was really sad to lose a best friend.. and until now i still dont get how she died at a very young age.. so u know what.. its a wake up call for u.. man enjoy life fully and do ur best to contribute something to the world.. so when it is time ur ready.. God Bless

legolas
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
well, good to hear you're still with us
yeah man

PM_
01-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Thank God you're ok. I was in a similar situation last year, when some idiot girl starting swerving left and right until she smashed into me and sent me spinning on the highway. I did everything I could to avoid the girl and she even missed me on her first swerve, but her second swerve rammed me. Why couldn't this horrendous driver realize that she was supposed to avoid other cars, not use them as her brakes?

Lol, it's always b/c of a girl, right?:rolleyes: ;)

Lee, you've prolly learned to keep a further distance from cars ahead of you on the highway. At 22, you are no experienced driver.

Lee
01-05-2006, 12:43 AM
I have been driving since I was 15, with no records of accidents whatsoever.

Geezer Guy
01-05-2006, 08:12 AM

"no records of accidents"? Is that like saying I've never been CONVICTED of a felony?

Clayplay
01-05-2006, 07:27 PM
15!!!! WOW! i'm fifteen in 3 months time. i can't imagine myself driving a car yet. i'm still so immature ;)

Jonnyf
01-08-2006, 05:56 AM
whoa so long a your okay but thats one hell of a scary story

ChicagoJack
01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
... Shocked, my first instinct told me to swerve to the right lane. However, the wind was blowing my car to the left, so my car started spinning in circles in the middle of the highway! My buddy and I were fully awake but there was absolutely nothing we could do but see the car spin in circles. Luckily, I was able to swerve the car to the grass and the mud on the right side of the highway. Both of us were unharmed and my car was not damaged.

- Drive Defensively.

- If you had an instant reaction to turn your car, in order to avoid hitting the car in front--you were too close too the car in front. Yes this means you leave enough room for somebody to get in front of you, but big deal, get over yourself. A much better reaction would be, hmm, I wonder what is happening way up ahead, maybe I should slow down a bit while I decide. You need distance to create this reaction.

- Stay at least 2.5 to 3 seconds behind the car in front of you. You can figure this out by counting the seconds it takes you to reach the same object, road sign etc, as the car in front. Double that distance when it is raining.

- Figure out the best bail-out position ahead of time. Generally, this is the right shoulder, vs the left median. If there is no median separating the freeway, stay out of the left most lane. Your chance of surviving a head on collision with oncoming traffic is very small.

People who go thru near death type experinces often come out the other side completely changed. Kind of puts things in perspective. We are all just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic when you think about it. This is the type of occurence that reminds you of that fact.

Glad you made it out alive-
Take care
-Jack

MackSamuelHustovisics
01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
- Drive Defensively.

- If you had an instant reaction to turn your car, in order to avoid hitting the car in front--you were too close too the car in front. Yes this means you leave enough room for somebody to get in front of you, but big deal, get over yourself. A much better reaction would be, hmm, I wonder what is happening way up ahead, maybe I should slow down a bit while I decide. You need distance to create this reaction.

- Stay at least 2.5 to 3 seconds behind the car in front of you. You can figure this out by counting the seconds it takes you to reach the same object, road sign etc, as the car in front. Double that distance when it is raining.

- Figure out the best bail-out position ahead of time. Generally, this is the right shoulder, vs the left median. If there is no median separating the freeway, stay out of the left most lane. Your chance of surviving a head on collision with oncoming traffic is very small.

People who go thru near death type experinces often come out the other side completely changed. Kind of puts things in perspective. We are all just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic when you think about it. This is the type of occurence that reminds you of that fact.

Glad you made it out alive-
Take care
-Jack

Put your driving ego on the side and drive safely. Besides decreasing the chances of danger, by leaving aside the ego you would also avoid damaging your mental well by staying clear from stress caused by road rage.

Well put ChicagoJack.