PDA

View Full Version : update to my "players racquet" experiment

tom-selleck
01-03-2006, 08:02 AM
as people may remember, i'm moving up to a heavy, head-light racquet and thought i would document my success (or lack thereof on here). i am moving from the babolat PD to the wilson HPS 95.

played for a second time with it and haven't reduced the grip size from 4 5/8 like i said i would.... here are my reflections after this last session

great for passing shots, under pressure shots, serve, approach shots, touch shots.

poor (so far) for defensive topspin shots from behind the baseline, returning serve and surprisingly volleys (although that can be my technique)... also, 2HB is taking some time too.

on the return of serve, i'm wondering if this is a horrible racquet for clay as the bounces are fairly unpredictable.. i find myself hitting a bunch of returns of serve VERY VERY LONG.

2HB is just going to take time (i've always been better head heavy with 2HB, and head light with forehand)

... can't wait till it warms up and i can play more and hit against the wall (not a huge fan, but a good way to experiment and groove stuff like the defensive topspin shot)

any thoughts on the return of serve would be greatly appreciated.

AndrewD
01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
tom-selleck,

Personally, on dirt courts, I find a bit more flex in the racquet to be helpful. Just a bit easier on the arm -as you do tend to hit a lot more shots-, bit easier for shots you have to improvise (due to the irregular bounce) and a bit easier for finesse shots that work better on clay than hard courts.

The return of serve problem could be that you're leaning back rather than into the shot. However, as it seems you're having most trouble when the ball is travelling to you at speed (return of serve and volley) Id say you aren't getting the racquet into position quickly enough and are hitting too late on the shot.

jonolau
01-04-2006, 12:20 AM
on the return of serve, i'm wondering if this is a horrible racquet for clay as the bounces are fairly unpredictable.. i find myself hitting a bunch of returns of serve VERY VERY LONG.
I would imagine that return of serves with the Wilson would not be as long because its not as powerful as the PD. One of the plausible reasons is that you could be trynig even harder to plough your forehands thinking that it has less power. IMO, using a smaller headsize/heavier racquet will require a fuller swing and constant swingspeed to generate the same amount of power.

Punisha
01-04-2006, 12:55 AM
returning... shorter swings... more topspin approached... as long as u hit the sweetspot... twill be fine...

jonolau
01-04-2006, 02:13 AM

Vantage231511
01-04-2006, 03:43 AM
PD is very stiff and thicker beam, so you get more "oomphf" on shots that you just barely block back.

With the PS you will have to at least take a swing at the ball or try to catch it a bit earlier on the return of serve. After some time you will figure it out. You will actually come to like the options you gain by being able to take a cut at some second serves without having to worry about the ball flying off the frame like with the PD.