PDA

View Full Version : One of my Pro Tour 280s is hitting harsh

Indy Tennis
01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
In practice today I was hitting with one of my Head Pro Tour 280s and it felt very harsh. I tried another one and it was as smooth as silk.

I did notice the one I picked up was last strung way back in May (with Wilson NXT 17). I have several racquets so sometimes they go quite awhile without fresh string.

Do you guys think it might be the string or could it be something more serious with the frame? I have not dropped the frame. It's kept inside the house so it shouldn't be a freezing issue.

These racquets are getting close to 10 years old.

I quess the easy answer is to restring and see how it feels, but it was so bad that I'm wondering if the frame has somehow gone bad.

Anyone else experience something like that? Does NXT get harsh when old?

La Bomba
01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Usually, if you have been hitting with a frame for that long, usually the frame would be dead (the racquet weakened), so if you bought a new pro tour it would feel a bit more powerful and livlier compared your old frames.

hummer23
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
i dont think it is the frame, its almost certainly just older dead strings. All strings loose tension when they sit around, and it sounds liek taht frame has been sitting over 6 monthes, so the tension is as good as gone. I doubt if its a frame issue, and you will be very hard pressed to get a new pro tour 280 or 630, those things are rare. My advice is to string up frames closer to when you sue them, and get this one restrung now, to make sure its still okay, which is should be. You loose the string job value, but at least the frame is okay and more playable.

Davai
01-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Do you guys think it might be the string or could it be something more serious with the frame? I have not dropped the frame. It's kept inside the house so it shouldn't be a freezing issue.

What do you mean by the racket freeezing? I didn't know that the racket might catch a virus and feel dead. From my experiences the racket's temperature was dependent on the composition. But other than that i don't think it's an issue.

hummer23
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
What do you mean by the racket freeezing? I didn't know that the racket might catch a virus and feel dead. From my experiences the racket's temperature was dependent on the composition. But other than that i don't think it's an issue.

lol. this is pretty funny. good one.

Indy Tennis
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Some say that keeping racquets in a car during the winter (or heat in the summer for that matter) can screw them up in some way. It's been debated a lot in this forum. I'm not sure what to believe.

La Bomba
01-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, on a tennis website it said never to leave a tennis racquet in the boot or it will wreck it in hot summer weather.

jck01
01-04-2006, 07:16 PM
i dont think it is the frame, its almost certainly just older dead strings. All strings loose tension when they sit around, and it sounds liek taht frame has been sitting over 6 monthes, so the tension is as good as gone. I doubt if its a frame issue, and you will be very hard pressed to get a new pro tour 280 or 630, those things are rare. My advice is to string up frames closer to when you sue them, and get this one restrung now, to make sure its still okay, which is should be. You loose the string job value, but at least the frame is okay and more playable.

I think it's the string as well. My Head Graphite Master felt dead before restringing when I played with it last year. When I restrung it last year, I had it restrung for the 1st time in about 2 years.