PDA

View Full Version : Which racket for me ?

Edouard
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Hello,

i am a baseline player, and my swing is short (sometimes medium) and i hit the ball very fast. In fact i use my racket as if it was a whip, i use a lot my wrist, and i love kick spins.

i would like to get rid off my hammer h6 (103 sq in) because it has a great lack of control ! This racket is too powerfull, very hard for me to hit nice drop shots or lobs.

So i am looking for something which could give me good control but still adapted to my game.

Would you advise me something ?
Thanks

matchpoint54
01-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I think the 03 Tour might fit your game. Also, an RDX 500 could work too.

Sweden
01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Go for something head light and something heavier with a standard beam around 20 mm. Definitly also a smaller headsize around 95 (Head 98 is 95).

All this will give you more control and little less power. If you don't have possibility to try out many rackets, check this forum, even old treads for suggestions!

Don't wanne give you suggestions on any specific racket cause it is very individual. BTW a tighter stringing pattern gives more control but less spin, but as you said, you can already create your own spin so go for a tighter pattern.

Good luck! If you have any questions just write :)

hummer23
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
try a prestige, or radical. See which weight you like better. Tehse are great control oriented racqeuts, no real problems with pace generation, or control with either. Tehy are a good place to start if you are looking for a solid, controlable frame that you wont outgrow, skillwise.

Mr.Federer
01-03-2006, 04:15 PM
try a prestige, or radical. See which weight you like better. Tehse are great control oriented racqeuts, no real problems with pace generation, or control with either. Tehy are a good place to start if you are looking for a solid, controlable frame that you wont outgrow, skillwise.

I don't think that the prestige or the radical is a good idea if you have a short sometimes medium swing...

Edouard
01-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your comments,

The o3 seems nice !
But what do you think about the Babolat pure storm team ?

Marius_Hancu
01-03-2006, 07:33 PM
FWIW, check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Edouard
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Someone advised me the n pro team by wilson or the new babolat NS tour

What do you think about these rackets ?

cadfael_tex
01-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks for your comments,

The o3 seems nice !
But what do you think about the Babolat pure storm team ?

I tried both the O3 Tour and the Babolat Pure Storm (yellow version). Both played well but I ended up with the O3 because I was worried about the stiffness versus weight of the PS. I actually liked the way the PS played from the baseline very well. On a note, I have gone back to my Slazenger X1 because it better suits the serve and volley game I'm trying to get back to.

All that to say, the Pure Storm is a great racquet that I'd definitely look into from what you've told the forum. Good power but also good spin and decent control.

jck01
01-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Considering that you have a short to medium swing, you may want to try Head LM 4 or Head FP 4. They are not as demanding as the Prince 03 tour nor the Head LM Prestige, FP Radical, etc. One of my friends uses the Head LM 4 and loves it. He has medium swing.

Edouard
01-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Seems nice but i dread bad control ...

Do you think the n pro surge could fit with my game ?

Alexandros
01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't think the O3 Tour is the way to go; that and the O3 Red very much require full swings to make full use of the control and power. The nPro Surge is a decent choice actually, you can get some good work on the ball off the baseline.

Edouard
01-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Final Choice !

Thanks to your posts, especially Marius_Hancu's one i have selected 3 racquets that could suite my game :
- Wilson n pro surge
- Babolat NS tour
- Volkl catapult v8 engine (or maybe the new dnx 8)

i recall that i am a baseline player (3.5 level) who has short - medium and fast strokes (like using a whip) who seeks much better control than my H6.

Do you agree with my choice ? According to you which one should i buy ?

Thanks

panic
01-10-2006, 09:25 AM
You should try them. I'd say the surge

Dedans Penthouse
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Final Choice !
i recall that i am a baseline player (3.5 level) who has short - medium and fast strokes (like using a whip) Which one should i buy ?Thanks
First off, you have SHORT/medium yet fast strokes? Then I can't see you being able to "pull the trigger" with a heavy racquet. At the same time, you'd want a racquet with SOME stability.

Try the Volkl DNX V1. Light, with some "pop" and somewhat stabile for a light racquet.

Edouard
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
yes, fast shots because i use a lot my wrist.
If you recall him, alberto berasategui had that kind of strokes ...

Edouard
01-10-2006, 09:55 AM
First off, you have SHORT/medium yet fast strokes? Then I can't see you being able to "pull the trigger" with a heavy racquet. At the same time, you'd want a racquet with SOME stability.

Try the Volkl DNX V1. Light, with some "pop" and somewhat stabile for a light racquet.
Oh sorry ... i made a confusion
swings : short to medium
Speed of swings : fast

Dedans Penthouse
01-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh sorry ... i made a confusion
swings : short to medium
Speed of swings : fast
Edouard: No problem, you didn't confuse me. I took it that the LENGTH of your swing was short & compact and that the SPEED was fast; kind of like Lleyton Hewitt: short & fast. :-)

That said, if you had a longer swing, that is, one that had "longer track" for you to generate racquet head speed, then I'd suggest a heavier frame for you. Think of swinging a dumbbell like a tennis racquet: it would be easier for you to generate (build-up) speed by using a long, loopy stroke replete with a long, loopy backswing in order to build up speed---as opposed to simply holding the dumbbell at your side and trying to "throw" the weight forward. Yes, you'll move the weight forward, but without generating enough MOMENTUM that would translate to a "fast" speed swing. If you are strong enough, try a heavier racquet; I would advise against it--that is, IF YOUR STROKE IS THAT SHORT, because you'd probably be employing too much "muscle" in the shot. Strength is always an asset, but it should never be confused with "muscle" which slows down the racquet speed (if that makes any sense). "Muscle" in running--tightness ensues = equals less speed. "Muscle" in throwing = equals MAJOR reduction in speed.

Your "short" stroke doesn't allow for you to build up ENERGY in order to hit your Alberto Beresutegi forehand. I'd then get a racquet that could help "do the work" and generate the required racquet head speed for you. And that would be a lighter racquet, albeit not one that is going to be a flimsy flyswatter that's going to be pushed around by an opponent's heavy pace. Thus my suggestion of the Volkl DNX V1. I myself play with a C10 pro that's been "leaded up" to a little over 13 ounces and I'm used to (and love) it's "dead-ness" and flex. But I'm over 6' and 200 lbs. and have a long, fast stroke that is not compromised by the "lead-loaded" C10's weight. As for the DNX V1, I fiddled around with a friend's newly bought DNX V1 and thought that it was a good, comfortable "tweener-player" user-friendly frame. At least give it a "feel." Good luck.