PDA

View Full Version : Prince O-Ports--Real Technology or Shameless Gimmick?

Z-Man
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
There are a bunch of new Prince Racquets coming out with the O-Ports. Is this yet another gimmick like liquid metal and nano technology, or is it for real? Does it really increase the size of the sweet spot, and if so, is there a loss of control or feel? Is there a undesirable trampoline effect like with Babolat Woofers?

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Squid
01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
z-man... what kind of racket do you use?

Z-Man
01-03-2006, 07:53 PM
I use a POG Longbody, but I'm mostly playing doubles these days, so I'm considering switching to a POG or the new O3 Tour OS if it's a decent frame. I really like that heavy/flexy old school feel.

Ripper
01-04-2006, 07:22 AM
I really have to defend the O-Port tech. here. It does work! Not only do you feel it, but logic says so.

pure luck
01-04-2006, 07:38 AM
doesn't the prince O-port looks almost like the old wilson roller tech, no matter if the O-port works or not, if the racket serve well for the player it's a weapon if not it's just a piece of junk

JediMindTrick
01-04-2006, 07:59 AM
I think it is real technology because it does increase the size of the sweetspot, but there is a loss of directional control and I think the trade-off is not worth it, because typically a midplus racquet has the sweetspot big enough. Plus I think Prince made a mistake by putting the weights at 10.5 & 1.5 o'clock instead of 3 & 9 o'clock like Wilson and Yonex. A lot of people who buy the O3 Tour have to put lead tape to stabilize the racquet and by the time they are done the swingweight becomes gigantic and the racquet feels like a club.

I also think that Babolat woofers, Yonex Muscle Power and Volkl Catapult and V Engine are worthless technologies because they increase power by sacrificing control. The only way to get more power without affecting control is to make the racquet stiffer.

But all these technologies that I am putting down, seem to be successful, so I may be in minority here.

bluegrasser
01-04-2006, 08:15 AM
The sweetspot is higher and bigger for sure, especially the O3 Red.

XFactorer
01-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I don't think the nCoding or Liquidmetal technologies are gimmicks. I think they do work... but to a certain extent. I think the O3 ports are just as valid. But I don't think the do wonders as Prince claims. They just give the strings more freedom. But I really doubt the "more aerodynamic" claim. That's just my opinion among other things.

progman_2000
01-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I bought an O3 Red and HATED it, couldn't control the ball. Maybe the O3 Tour and others are better, I don't know. I do think that the O3 racquets allows Prince to market to players who currently use large frames and get fooled into thinking they should be moving to smaller frames as they get better (an argument seen over and over here). With their "54 % greater sweetspot" pitch they are telling you that you can play with a 100 or 105 sq. inch racquet and have a sweetspot comparable to or greater than a 110 racquet.

tennissavy
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I have played some matches with the o3 tour and the o ports do effectively enlarge the sweetspot, provide the best finesse I have ever experienced and make the racquet the most comfortable I have ever used. The only thing that I didn't like was serving with the racquet. I had good accuracy but not enough speed. Lead tape helped my serve but I went back to my old racquet because I serve bigger with it.

killer
01-04-2006, 12:38 PM
I played with an O3 Silver this past summer. Using that beast OS after my (relatively) trusty Wilson Hammer 5.2MP was certainly a wake-up call!
to begin with, the O3 Silver is ridiculously light. of course you expect that from a game-improvement/'tweener racquet, but given its 110 headsize i just didn't expect it. once i settled in a bit, i found that the sweetspot seems to be just about anywhere you make contact! if this is due to the O-ports then it certainly is a technology that works.
A couple of points of warning: the sweetspot is dramatically expanded, so be sure you find your range before trying to crush a ball- i found the back of the fence quite frequently. Also, these racquets aren't much good if you break strings quickly- the amount of movement the O-ports allow the strings means that they wear out very quickly.

Kevo
01-04-2006, 02:58 PM
I hit with an O3 Tour briefly. I thought it had plenty of sweetspot, I just didn't like the way it felt. It was sort of an all around average frame for me. Not especially great control or touch, and power was a little too high, although string and tension might fix that. I would say that the sweetspot was better than average, but that didn't win me over. So it was a good frame, not a great frame. I can imagine if the tour version has as much power as it did that the larger versions would be seriously powerful.

christo
02-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Bargain bin technology

Ljubicic for number1
02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Definatly works to enlarge the sweet spot. I have used the tour & Red and they both have huge sweet spots, they do feel a little trampoline like however.

I think the silver is more like 118" not 110"

joe1987
02-25-2006, 10:52 PM
The O ports does help reduce the swingweight abit. It really helps the racket cut through the air.

Mugatu
02-26-2006, 12:11 AM
does anyone think prince will be marketing O port racquets in 5 years?? doubt it ...still sell POGs tho. now there's some tech; 100% graphite.. no microchips, nano particles or speed holes. can't believe it works

Deuce
02-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I'll go as far as to say that the 'O Ports' make frames very easy to string.

I won't go any further than that, though.

Alexandros
02-26-2006, 03:06 PM
As anyone who has actually hit with an O3 can tell you - the sweetspot IS noticeably larger than on other racquets. So on that aspect the technology definitely works. As someone else mentioned earlier, you do tradeoff a bit of directional control as a result, and I don't think the "aerodynamic profile" is significantly improved.

tennis_nerd22
02-26-2006, 04:14 PM
...Is this yet another gimmick like liquid metal...

excuse me? liquidmetal works, and im wondering if you think flexpoint is a gimmick to, because if you do, i wont say anything... (because i wont bother to explain that it makes a HUGE difference)

Z-Man
02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
excuse me? liquidmetal works, and im wondering if you think flexpoint is a gimmick to, because if you do, i wont say anything... (because i wont bother to explain that it makes a HUGE difference)

Ha! Good Stuff...

fishuuuuu
02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I'll go as far as to say that the 'O Ports' make frames very easy to string.

I won't go any further than that, though.

Actually Deuce to be honest having to use the table brake everytime you do a cross makes it a bit harder for me.

But I do thing if anything the O-Ports make the racquet cut the air better. Definitely the most user friendliest players' racquet I've used in a long time.

Donnie Darko
02-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Actually Deuce to be honest having to use the table brake everytime you do a cross makes it a bit harder for me.

But I do thing if anything the O-Ports make the racquet cut the air better. Definitely the most user friendliest players' racquet I've used in a long time.

Deuce probably hasn't ever strung an O3........just trying to act like he knows more than he does.

fishuuuuu
02-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Deuce probably hasn't ever strung an O3........just trying to act like he knows more than he does.

I doubt half the people on this board have ever strung an O3 racquet much less any racquet, why are you giving him a hard time?

tennis4losers
02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
I doubt half the people on this board have ever strung an O3 racquet much less any racquet, why are you giving him a hard time?

Its Donnie Darko, he just goes around dissing people 90% of the time around here. I think im just going to block him

Stringer_Steve
02-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Very valid statement all the way around. I agree that if you don't/haven't strung an O3, then it can be initially a little more difficult. We see a lot of racquets strung at clubs that have been pulled out of shape (or worse, cracked) by people who just don't know how to string these.

mislav
02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I never strung a racquet in my life, but I have played O3 Tour and I think it's a great stick and the O3 technology works.

As everyone mentioned - you do get a larger sweetspot which is good for any player not just beginners, yet for them this is a biggest asset - having a forgiving racquet.

It's also amazing how smoothly it cuts through the air thus making it easy to swing fast and accomplish a full stroke and increase the power of your shots. With the combination of some lead tape and stringing it at different tension, you can easily customize the feel of this stick to your preference.

O3 ports allow for the greater string movement increasing the ability to create spin. This is great news for beginners developing their strokes and control and working on their serve. Advanced players will appreciate the spin generated, but feel the lack of power on their serves. Nothing to worry about unless your game depends on your serves.

Basically, I believe O3 technology is here to stay in the years to come. I don't expect to see any Flexpoint racquets in five years time, but O3 sticks are still going to be here, IMO.

As you might have guessed, I love Prince O3 Tour, but I prefer the feel of Wilson n6.1 95 18x20. Feels more old school to me.

devilish_duke
02-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I"ve played with both the O3 and the POG. The technology does work amazingly well, and the frame is definitely more aerodynamic. You won't feel the latter on a regular day, but try hitting with both sticks on a windy day and you'll quickly apprecaite the difference. O3 is such a huge jump that I expect the tech to be around for quite a while.

texcoug
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I own the 03 Red. I am demoing the 03 White and 03 Tour O/S this week (played with them today). I take a full swing and, with the Red, I have to be very careful or it will sail. It's odd, in one hand it is nice for lazy days when I don't have the energy to use proper technique, on the other hand, if I don't use proper technique and swing through the ball, I can't control it.

Based on my 1 outing, the 03 White is stable (best word). Everything felt solid and it had me ripping 1hbh (it's been a long time -- not sure why I wanted to do that). I think that there is a lot of directional control (at least relative to the Red).

The O/S Tour was great too. It's SW is 330 and it played a bit heavy, but I loved the heavy ball that came off of it. I think this is an effort to modernize the POG O/S but the O ports didn't help with the SW (POG --326, Tour --330). I loved the extra-length for my 2hbh, and it was nice on the serve too (although I thought it lacked a little oomph). At the same time, I had a hard time getting adjusted to the length on my forehand and tended to shy away a bit.

jackcrawford
02-27-2006, 01:25 PM
The OPorts definitely do give a unique feel and they are easier to whip through the air than a racquet of the same weight/balance without them. If you define working as meaning will it be like the second generation graphite frames that made wood and aluminum obsolete circa 1983, no - regular grommet frames will not only exist, but likely still predominate.

PBODY99
02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
The O/S Tour was great too. It's SW is 330 and it played a bit heavy, but I loved the heavy ball that came off of it. I think this is an effort to modernize the POG O/S but the O ports didn't help with the SW (POG --326, Tour --330). I loved the extra-length for my 2hbh, and it was nice on the serve too (although I thought it lacked a little oomph). At the same time, I had a hard time getting adjusted to the length on my forehand and tended to shy away a bit.

Yes, but blame that on the extra lenght.;)