PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to stringing, so what machine should I get?

Feña14
02-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Any info will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Liam

rich s
02-19-2004, 11:14 AM
How much do you want to spend? What type of machine are you looking for (drop weight, crank, electronic)? How many racquets a month do you plan to string?

Feña14
02-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Well I have a budget of about $500, which ever type of machine is easiest to use, I plan to string 3-4 rackets a month
hope this helps!

Thanks,

Liam

Ben42
02-19-2004, 12:20 PM
A Laserfibre Eco with fixed clamps is probably the best bet in your range, although it will probably be more like $600 shipped.

Are you just planning on doing your own racquets or a mix of racquets? Your volume is low enough that a ratcheted drop weight should not be a problem, but if you do any more, or you’re doing different sticks all the time you might be better off with the ECO or a crank.

Check out the low end Gammas and Alphas. You might also check out the crank Silent Partner. Some reports of lesser quality from SP, but always good reports of customer service.

Feña14
02-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Could somebody please tell me what the cheapest machine available that does it's job half decent is. And I mean cheap!

Thanks,

Liam

Ben42
02-19-2004, 01:41 PM
I use the ATS SuperStringerII and think it's fine. It takes me about 40 minutes to string a racquet.

Since I only do my own sticks and only once or twice a month it's fine for me.

$135 and comes with a few sets of string.

Gaines Hillix
02-19-2004, 03:18 PM
The ATS SS II or SP Swing would get my vote in the <$200 category. You can also find some deals on e-bay. Avoid Eagnas machines.

Marc C.
02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I strongly suggest that you stay away from drop-weight machines. I started stringing on a silent partner e stringer for about $275. I stand 100% behind this machine. No problems, whatsoever, doing about 2 rackets a week.

Hey, Moe!
02-19-2004, 06:31 PM
I agree with Gaines. My first stringer came from ATS, a godfather of their current drop weight machines. It was called a BR-3, if any of you oldies remember that. It worked well enough that I strung my own frames, and a few friends, and a few from my high school team, for six years.

Even though I treated myself to an Ektelon a while back, if I were in your position, I would and could go back to a dropweight machine. You just have to mind your business, and notice the effect a dropweight machine has on the tension of the string job. You will surely be able to adjust after a few string jobs.

bcaz
02-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Laserfibre all the way if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit. Very easy to use, durable, excellent customer service. I have one. Those ATS machines look like good values (I've never actually seen one), and the Gamma drop-weights appear to be pretty good, too -- I've seen one of those.

BC

bcaz
02-19-2004, 06:39 PM
I recommend Laserfibre all the way if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit. Very easy to use, durable, excellent customer service. I have one. Those ATS machines look like good values (I've never actually seen one), and the Gamma drop-weights appear to be pretty good, too -- I've seen one of those.

BC

mitchell_ota
02-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I'd put my recommendation in for an Alpha, but that's only because that's what I got for my first machine (Revo 4000). I know that LaserFibre also makes good machines, and their customer service, like Alpha's, is first-rate.

I think that a good machine should have a solid mounting system first and foremost, regardless of tensioning system. Something with flimsy mounting is a recipe for warped racquets and inaccurate tensioning.

Like most people will tell you here, stay far, far away from Eagnas. While their prices are appealing, their customer service (or lack thereof) is something to be reckoned with. You're making a big investment here, and if you need help, you want a company that will help you out (like Alpha, LaserFibre, SP, etc.). Hope this helps.

Anonymous
02-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Would anybody recommend a Babolat Star III machine assuming it has all parts and in good condition? You can't beat the higher and more consistent tension with a good electronic.

SunDog
02-20-2004, 04:46 AM
The bottom line on machines is that each will have it's own shortcomings. Most have been identified here and on the old board. The thing about shortcomings is that you can likely learn to live with them by developing techniques that counter the machine deficiencies. Identifying the machine pitfalls and devloping the countering techniques is a tall order for someone who is totally new to stringing. As a general rule of thumb, one can assume that the lower price you pay for a machine - the more (or more intense) deficiencies you are likely to encounter. If you go the low cost route - then I recommend that you practice extensively on a throw-away racquet until you are very confident you can produce a consistent string job that does not damage the frame. Resist the urge to have all your buddies over that first weekend for a stringing party - unless one of them knows what they are doing.

My vote is always for Laserfibre. I have the MS200TT - which is out of your stated price range. If you can manage to raise the cash - you should consider it - for the piece of mind alone. I have a couple of friends that share an ATS SS II. One of them can no longer stand the string job that he gets from the ATS - so he is always over at my house stringing his frames on my machine. He swears that the difference is that noticable.

One final note - If you are into tennis for the long run - almost any machine will more than pay for itself eventually - and most seem to hold their value pretty well.

Rabbit
02-20-2004, 05:36 AM
I would recommend spending as much as your budget will allow and then a little more. I started off many years ago with a Tremont ($110) and used it for about 7 years. It wore out and I got a Gamma dropweight. It was OK, but I really wasn't satisfied with the results, or the time it took to string a frame. I saved my coinage and purchased a Prince Neos. I have been greatly satisfied ever since.

If you buy a dropweight (least expensive of the different types), make sure that you get ratcheting jaws. This will make your life infinetly better because you can adjust the jaws prior to letting the tension arm down. Also, if you can, get a dropweight that has fixed clamps, either single or double action. There is less drawback on them and you'll get better results.

I highly recommend the Prince Neos. It is consistent and well worth the investment, plus you can string a frame in 30 minutes with no rush at all. You can find used ones here and there and they hold up like tanks.

Stinkdyr
02-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Liam, I understand you want to keep it cheap.....just take my advice and stay above the Klippermate-bottom-tier $100 stringers. I am not saying they don't get the job done, it is just that within a year you will be looking to upgrade. Save yourself the time and expense etc, step up to the second tier stringers right at the start. my .02

ejch8456
02-21-2004, 07:17 AM
what about this stringer the ATS Super Stringer II by Gama
http://www.atssports.com/ats/assets/product_images/mss2_L.jpg

matchpoints
02-21-2004, 05:03 PM
How is Gamma's customer service and build quality?

I'm looking at the Gamma 5003.

Audiodude
02-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I've owned a 5003, with the most recent metal clamps, for about a year. The build quality is beyond reproach. The mounting system is fast and stable. the clamps are the best I've ever used. They require very little pressure, are easy to adjust, glide very smoothly, and have never slipped. The tensioning system has worked perfectly and has tested accutately each time I checked it. It also came with a nice selection of free string.

rich s
02-21-2004, 06:29 PM
I own a Gamma 602FC for over 2 years now and I have to agree with Audiodude on quality.

Quality is great. Customer service was quick to respond with an answer when I had a question but I've NEVER had a reason to require customer service.

The 602FC has the composite clamps and the composite ratcheting drum tension head -- all have the diamond dusted inserts and all have performed and operated flawlessly with routine maintenance

I would not hestitate to buy another Gamma stringing machine.

matchpoints
02-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Audiodude,
How often is calibration needed for the gamma 5003?
Do you still own one? Also, where's the best place to get one? How heavy are they? I might be traveling with it sometimes doing onsite string jobs.

I want a stand up model machine and this one seems like a good value. The laserfibre seem very good but $$ especially after adding the stand attachment.

ps. I'm selling my SP e.stringer with 6pt mounting for $200 ;) Can't travel with this since it's electric.

Audiodude
02-28-2004, 03:09 PM
I've owned my 5003 for about a year and a half. I've checked the calibration 3 or 4 times. It's been spot on every time. The machine weighs about 70 pounds. It's easy to move if you remove the turntable first and move it in two pieces. I bought mine from ATS sports. You'll get a nice selection of free string with the machine. I used a lot of the strings on customers racquets. It netted the cost of the machine down nicely.

matchpoints
02-28-2004, 06:44 PM
AUDIODUDE,

I was comparing the http://eagnas.com/flash960.html on that page to the 5003. I'm curious in particular the swivel clamp base.

FLASH 960 - Spring assisted: much easier to use and no muscle needed.

5003 - Plastic ConeLock: need to use muscle to lock and release the base.

Would you agree with that or is it pretty easy to lock and unlock?
Thanks.

EDIT: Just went to ATSSPORTS.COM and on their site it says that Gamma 5003 is spring assisted. WTF?!?!?!

Audiodude
02-29-2004, 05:59 AM
The clamp bases are very easy to lock and require virtually no effort. I can assure you that the build quality of the Gamma is an order of magnitude better that the build quality of the Eagnas. I purchased an Eagnas Hawk 80 several years ago. I sent it back a day after I received it. The build quality was very poor. The fit and finish of the machine bordered on comical. The machining of the parts looked as if they never even considered tolerances. I'd string on a Klippermate or an ATS SSII before I'd consider an Eagnas. Seriously.

TwistServe
07-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Im possibily interested in buying my first stringing machine.. But first uh.. whats the diffference between dropweight, crank, and electro? Is it just for accuracy? Also whats the difference with a $3000 machine and a $300 machine? Is it just ease of use and speed? Will the quality in the end result be the same? Thanks

Semaj
10-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi, I live in the UK and am just about to purchace my first stringing machine, over hear they seem to be alot more expensive, however I am eyeing up this 1, would you reccomend? http://tennismate.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=29_30&products_id=31&osCsid=af7495a903c0d175752411717007cd6a

I no its a drop weight, but i've been told it's a good drop weight

Steve Huff
10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
I'd look seriously at the Alpha Revo. Uses all the clamps etc of their bigger machines. It's also one that you could upgrade into an electric pull machine later by adding a Wise tension head.

dancraig
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM

Semaj
10-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks, but in the UK we can not get many alpha, gamma, prince etc machines. I have just purchaced a Tyger string eco, the only website I could find with pictures was

http://www.transocean-sport.dk/category.125.article.154

However this is the TMT 045 i HAVE ORDERD A tmt 046

has anyone ever come accross tyger before?

aidenous
11-01-2005, 05:46 AM
I have the Gamma 5003 and you can't go wrong with Gamma. The quality and service are excellent. It runs about $799 but it's not very portable. The Gamma X-ST looks identical to the 5003 but it's a table top so it would be more portable and it runs about $150 less.

MikeV
11-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Another vote here for the Gamma 5003! Awesome great machine! Check the big auction site for a vendor that sells for $799 with free shipping! The included string package is great and if you don't care for it you can easily piece it out on the auction site and recoup more than $100 of your purchase price. WRT the Eagnas site and their claims, they use old stats for their comparison of the Gamma 5003. Newest models use excellent clamps with spring assisted bases. Smooooth!!

While the Gamma 5003 might best be described as transportable, the tabletop models are certainly more portable. However, the Gamma X series machines use extruded aluminum for the turntables, my personal preference is for the cast aluminum turntable; it just seems more solid to me. With that said, the same features as the X-ST are found in the Progression ST II but the latter has the cast aluminum base (and it comes in Ferrari Red--that must be faster!). Those favoring a standup machine can save a few bucks by purchasing one of the tabletop machines and the accessory stands. And if you _really_ want to save some $$ my Harbor Freight sales flyer has a tool stand for $14.99!! Don't know if I'd mount a heavy shop tool on there, but it certainly will do the job for a stringer....

Midlife crisis
11-01-2005, 12:28 PM
While the Gamma 5003 might best be described as transportable, the tabletop models are certainly more portable. However, the Gamma X series machines use extruded aluminum for the turntables, my personal preference is for the cast aluminum turntable; it just seems more solid to me. With that said, the same features as the X-ST are found in the Progression ST II but the latter has the cast aluminum base (and it comes in Ferrari Red--that must be faster!). Those favoring a standup machine can save a few bucks by purchasing one of the tabletop machines and the accessory stands. And if you _really_ want to save some $$ my Harbor Freight sales flyer has a tool stand for $14.99!! Don't know if I'd mount a heavy shop tool on there, but it certainly will do the job for a stringer....

I just purchased an X-ST two weeks ago, and though the base is extruded now versus cast before, it is a SUBSTANTIAL base in terms of heft. The machine is very solid and works very well. I've strung up several rackets with excellent results.

The string package I got included six packs of TNT Fat Core, a package of Revelation, two packages of synthetic gut (including a bright purple one), a package of their textured monofilament (can't remember the name), two packages of their untextured monofilament (Challenger) and a generic pack of clear nylon with blue braids (like what was used to string wood tennis rackets a few decades ago). There were also various dampeners, grips and tapes.

TopSpinTennis
11-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I'd look seriously at the Alpha Revo. Uses all the clamps etc of their bigger machines. It's also one that you could upgrade into an electric pull machine later by adding a Wise tension head.

Yeah, the Revo is a great machine for the price.

Dolfan
11-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I bought the ATS SS II and it's great . Only $135.00 and I could'nt be happier . It only has a 2 point mount but it's rock solid and the rachet works really well . I trust this stringer with my $179. frames .... nuf said .

Semaj
11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know any online free stringing video's for beginners? I have watched the silent partner ones, any more?

sekine
11-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Could someone tell me if the Super Stringer II comes with decent instructions, or is one supposed to buy the $30 video with it?

I'm considering the Kippermate partly due to the fact that it comes with very good instructions (I've never strung a raquet).

Thanks.

max
11-16-2005, 05:08 AM
This is a frequent question. The answer is--either! The Klippermate has excellent personal service and comes with awesome floating clamps. The ATS has a ratchet head to hold the string, which is considered better than the K-mate's string jaw. Take your pick. I'd go K-mate just because you take on and off the clamps so much, and the bulky ATS clamps are slow and clumsy.

barry
11-16-2005, 05:28 AM
AUDIODUDE,

I was comparing the http://eagnas.com/flash960.html on that page to the 5003. I'm curious in particular the swivel clamp base.

FLASH 960 - Spring assisted: much easier to use and no muscle needed.

5003 - Plastic ConeLock: need to use muscle to lock and release the base.

Would you agree with that or is it pretty easy to lock and unlock?
Thanks.

EDIT: Just went to ATSSPORTS.COM and on their site it says that Gamma 5003 is spring assisted. WTF?!?!?!

Here is a link which explained Gamma Clamps. Never did get an answer on what was considered high end.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74597

I have spring assisted clamps, and they are much better than the conelock ones. So far, have never failed and do not have any movement when locked.

max
11-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Check out the Silent Partner Swing as well; it's interesting.

sekine
11-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks, Max (et al...)