PDA

View Full Version : Tough Cookie...

Simbah2004
02-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Here's the story: This guy plays differently... He only hits slices, both backhand and forehand. His placement is excellent (he goes for the lines and hits them), his speed is average. Whenever he gets a short ball, he volleys very well. He is also extremely consistent. His serve is ok, not much pace but excellent placement... His dropshots are excellent.
He doesn't have any particular great shot, and doesn't hit the ball hard - he doesn't have to, and I've seen him beat hard topspin hitters with extreme ease...
I am very fast. My first serve is good, second is a work in progress. Great serve and backhands (my weapons), my forehands are good. My volleys are kind of terrible, I only go to net when I stretch my opponents on the court and get a short ball back.

Tough case, could anybody provide tips on how to beat him? Thanks.

jayserinos99
02-27-2004, 09:39 PM
one thing, does he tend to mix up depths and amounts of backspin/slice? from the way you talk about him, he can pull out the drop shot immediately.

i've seen guys like this a lot (they're called hustlers) and one way of beating them is to take the early offensive when given the chance. pulling them wide and taking the ball early come to mind.

Eric Matuszewski
02-28-2004, 03:47 AM
See the thread below on "The best weapon for a crafty slice is...."

@wright
02-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Simbah, I suspect it's going to be tough for you to beat those type of players without being able to volley well, unless you can end the point on approach shots and groundies every time, which is very difficult. Taking the ball early is a great tip, that will put extra pressure on him.

Frank Silbermann
02-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Taking slices on the rise is not recommended. The bounce is unpredicatble, and it doesn't gain you much, as the bounce doesn't carry very far anyway.

If his slices float, you might try taking them in the air as drive volleys. It's difficult to be steady hitting sharp, firm slices that skim the net.

Basically, the only reason his style went out of fashion in the late 1930s is that it wouldn't stand up against a skilled netrusher.

Simbah2004
03-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys. I have to go for his legs, because he is not that fast... His slices are offensive and he waits patiently for a short ball(which he puts away with a volley). Perhaps cutting his time by hitting drive volleys may work. Still, I could not get the right "timing" on his slices. A backhand slice will always be better than a forehand slice, right? I could also attack that side.

kevhen
03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
My forehand slice is much better than most backhand slices I have seen and much better than my own backhand slice. Find out which side is weaker but don't assume it's his forehand side. You do need to get to net against a player like this, but that is not your strength, so go with hitting the angles and making him run, I guess. Then he won't have time to hit his dropshots and bring you to net. Don't worry about making more errors as you take control of the points, unless you are still losing midway through the second set. Then you may want to think about just serving big especially on your second serves to try to end the points sooner since he seems more consistent.

slicer007
12-30-2005, 12:10 AM
hit a high ball deep center or to his backhand and follow it to the net.
no slicer can pass you from there hitting a high ball sliced, forehand or back.

Rickson
12-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Here's the story: This guy plays differently... He only hits slices, both backhand and forehand. His placement is excellent (he goes for the lines and hits them), his speed is average. Whenever he gets a short ball, he volleys very well. He is also extremely consistent. His serve is ok, not much pace but excellent placement... His dropshots are excellent.
He doesn't have any particular great shot, and doesn't hit the ball hard - he doesn't have to, and I've seen him beat hard topspin hitters with extreme ease...
I am very fast. My first serve is good, second is a work in progress. Great serve and backhands (my weapons), my forehands are good. My volleys are kind of terrible, I only go to net when I stretch my opponents on the court and get a short ball back.

Tough case, could anybody provide tips on how to beat him? Thanks.
Flatten your shots a bit because slicers love high, topspin balls. Keep the balls deep and low, and come to net a lot because slicers aren't the best passers. Hit more to his backhand than his forehand because slicers from both wings usually have a more penetrating slice drive from the forehand side. If this isn't the case then do the opposite of course. You might consider playing with a more open grip such as the eastern forehand because low balls will be easier to return than with a western grip. I used to have a lot of trouble against a slicer, but since I switched to the efh against him, I've bageled him several times because he can't make many shots I can't return. Tospin with a western grip is a risky strategy against slicers because their balls bounce so low and they have an easier time hitting slice returns on high bouncing topspin shots as I pointed out before. Remember, keep the balls low, try an eastern fh or a mild sw grip, and come to net often. Good luck.

arnz
12-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Simbah, I suspect it's going to be tough for you to beat those type of players without being able to volley well, unless you can end the point on approach shots and groundies every time, which is very difficult.

Exactly.