View Full Version : New racquet search

nViATi
01-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I just tested the
Slazenger Pro X1
Wilson Prostaff Tour 95
Prince TT Warrior MP
Head LM Instinct
Didn't like any. The X1 and Warrior were uncomfortable for my wrist(stiff). The X1 also had a small sweetspot. The Tour 95 was too light and had no weight behind the shot. The Instinct just didn't feel good.
I think I'll just try a racquet similar to my LM Prestige MP.
I'm thinking of demoing the
Dunlop MFil 200
Dunlop 200G
ProKennex Heritage Type C MP
Do you guys have any other suggestions or comments? Do these racquets have the same level of power as a LM Prestige MP or less?(I want a racquet that has the same or more) (Trying to keep the price under $150. Man, racquets are expensive..)

Marius_Hancu
01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
check my posting in the Comparative Reports Sticky
with the industry data:

Racquet Industry: Racquet Data 2005

they give very good power measurements, IMO

I bought a new M-Fil 200 ($60) from the auction site, not here yet. I don't expect it to be at the power level of Prestiges (I have a PC600 and I like it very much, but I feel it's not enough headlight in vanilla version for my taste).

For comparable power, you might have to go to Volkl 10VEMP or ncode 6.1 Tour 90 or 95 18x20 (which is not that cheap anywhere).

From Dunlop, M-fil 300 is lighter, seems to be more powerful than 200 but an great racquet (I tested it) and very customizable, you can add lots of lead. But not quite as powerful as Prestige. I didn't buy it because I prefer heavier and smaller frames.

I also bought a Fischer Retro 98 (which isn't that small a frame) from another site ($99 new). That might be more powerful, but not sure, probably more feel. Waiting for it too.

Yes, X1 and Warrior have given arm probs to some. Prestige much better in this respect. BTW, why do you want to change it?

For ProKennex Heritage Type C MP, you might want to get the new one (Redondo?), 100% graphite. There's a thread on it.

nViATi
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
BTW, why do you want to change it?
My LM Prestige MP is cracked and is currently at Head being inspected. I'm not sure if they will replace it and I need a slightly more powerful racquet. If i like another racquet more then I will get it but if not I'll get another Prestige.

Hmmm.. I guess the 200G and MFiL200 aren't more powerful than the Prestige. I was looking at the Volkl 10VEMP and the reviews. People commented that it had bad control (random shots spraying). I'll go check out the information about the Type C Redondo.

snoflewis
01-03-2006, 09:25 PM
(Trying to keep the price under $150. Man, racquets are expensive..)

you can get a lot of the more expensive player's rackets (on TW) for under $150 by price matching. for example, the n6.1s, rdx500 MPs, O3 Tours...etc.

but if you want more power and a larger sweetspot, 03 tour doesnt sound like a bad idea. also, you might want to try the n6.1 95 16x18 because it is beefier than the tour 95 and feels a lot more stable and solid. However, from my experience, i felt that the n6.1 was a lot more muted than the tour 95.

nViATi
01-03-2006, 09:39 PM
you can get a lot of the more expensive player's rackets (on TW) for under $150 by price matching. for example, the n6.1s, rdx500 MPs, O3 Tours...etc.

but if you want more power and a larger sweetspot, 03 tour doesnt sound like a bad idea. also, you might want to try the n6.1 95 16x18 because it is beefier than the tour 95 and feels a lot more stable and solid. However, from my experience, i felt that the n6.1 was a lot more muted than the tour 95.
I've hit with my friend's n6.1 16x18. It is too harsh and stiff for me.

DANMAN
01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
The VOLKL 10VEMP is pretty controllable. Try the Gen II if you want. The Vengine 10 midplus is getting cheaper and cheaper...discontinued? I thought I read that in another post but am not sure.

Marius_Hancu
01-04-2006, 05:26 AM
I've hit with my friend's n6.1 16x18. It is too harsh and stiff for me.

yes, the Wilson ncode 6.1 95 seem harsh for some (and at 68 in stiffness, that's to be expected)

friends of mine which have a good combination of control of power have switched to Fischers and are satisfied and no elbow probs. might want to test some of them.

Marius_Hancu
01-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Posted by tennisee

But the main thing is racquets - Blake used a couple of the black ones - the first actually had Prince decals on the frame, then he changed it for one that did not.

And Seppi used a PK Heritage C 93! that surprised me; I'll start a thread in pros racquets and gear about that one.

Great to see some pros using PK. This must be the new Redondo (?).

nViATi
01-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Looks like all the Fischers excluding the extended length ones have less power than the LM Prestige MP and so does the ProKennex Type C 98 (current version). So far the only other racquet that looks good is the Volkl Tour 10 VE MP and maybe the 03 Tour

Marius_Hancu
01-04-2006, 09:27 AM
I am not sure if those differences are this significant:
Fischer Pro No. 1 1932
Head Liquidmetal Prestige Mid 1995
M Pro No. One 105 1937

Anyway, in PK perhaps you look at:
Ki 5 PSE 2273 (very heavy at 370g)
Ki 5 1947

jck01
01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
The VOLKL 10VEMP is pretty controllable. Try the Gen II if you want. The Vengine 10 midplus is getting cheaper and cheaper...discontinued? I thought I read that in another post but am not sure.
I was also going to suggest the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine.

nViATi
01-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Hm...
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5
Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine MP
any other suggestions?;)

stnick
01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I have demoed many of these racquets that are mentioned above (LM Instinct/Radical, Dunlop 2/300g, volkl 10, rdx500) while searching for something that would do a little more of the work for me than my PK Pro K5G and after I broke my volkl tour 7.

I fell in love with the Yonex MP Tour-5. At $89, it is a bargain. I recommend a bit of lead at 9/3 or 10/2... some others I've seen on the board like to put some at 12 as well, but I was sending too many balls long when I tried this.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-YMPT5.html

Read the feeback- lots of raves. There are also many positive comments and customization tips in the racquets forum.

Marius_Hancu
01-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Vin has good reports on Volkl Tour 10 Gen II. Check them out.
OK, MP, but ...

nViATi
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I have demoed many of these racquets that are mentioned above (LM Instinct/Radical, Dunlop 2/300g, volkl 10, rdx500) while searching for something that would do a little more of the work for me than my PK Pro K5G and after I broke my volkl tour 7.

I fell in love with the Yonex MP Tour-5. At $89, it is a bargain. I recommend a bit of lead at 9/3 or 10/2... some others I've seen on the board like to put some at 12 as well, but I was sending too many balls long when I tried this.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-YMPT5.html

Read the feeback- lots of raves. There are also many positive comments and customization tips in the racquets forum.
I use a one handed backhand. I don't think an extended racquet would be too good for it.

OK, MP, but ...
Oh did you think I want / used a mid? Nope, my LM Prestige was a MP and i'm looking for another MP :)

backhand_finish
01-05-2006, 06:01 PM
tfight 325.

nViATi
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
tfight 325.
Like I said earlier, I use a one hand backhand and so I don't want an extended frame.

stnick
01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I use a one handed backhand. I don't think an extended racquet would be too good for it.

I use a 1hbh as well, and haven't had any issues with the MP Tour-5, which is the first extended length racquet I had ever tried.... your milage may vary, of course.

DANMAN
01-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Nviati, I've been playing with the Babolat PD+ for about 5 years and have recently acquired a Volkl T10VEMP and a Tour 10 MP Gen II. I have hit extensively with the V and will be hitting with the gen ii for the first time tomorrow. If you want some feedback, let me know.

nViATi
01-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Nviati, I've been playing with the Babolat PD+ for about 5 years and have recently acquired a Volkl T10VEMP and a Tour 10 MP Gen II. I have hit extensively with the V and will be hitting with the gen ii for the first time tomorrow. If you want some feedback, let me know.
Some feedback would be great, thanks!

panic
01-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Oh did you think I want / used a mid? Nope, my LM Prestige was a MP and i'm looking for another MP :)

By the way Völkl Tour 10 Gen 2 is a MP with its 98 sq in

nViATi
01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
By the way Völkl Tour 10 Gen 2 is a MP with its 98 sq in
OK, MP, but ...
I know, look at what Marius wrote.