PDA

View Full Version : Dead toenail to cut or not to cut?

a529612
01-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I got one of those infamous black toenails from vigorous running. Now the dead toenail is separated from the skin with the new toenail growing under it. Should I cut it out or just let it take care of itself naturally? Thanks!

scotus
01-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I would not cut out the root. If the nail can be lifted up by 90 degrees or more, then I would trim it a bit, but as far as cutting out the root, I would wait until the new nail pushes out the old nail completely.

The new nail will not look clean at first. It will look wrinkled up, but after this portion has grown long enough to be clipped, you will notice a clean and firm nail.

Cruzer
01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I got one of those infamous black toenails from vigorous running. Now the dead toenail is separated from the skin with the new toenail growing under it. Should I cut it out or just let it take care of itself naturally? Thanks!

It reads like you have a dead toenail which is different from the black toenails that are sometimes described. The other variety are not actually dead but still quite alive. They just happen to have a fungus growing in them which is why they get thick and black, but they do keep growing. I still have one right now. I have had the nail pulled out twice yet it still grows back black. If your toenail is just dead it probably doesn't make a lot of difference if you cut the dead nail out or leave it to fall out on its own when the new nail grows in.

scotus
01-05-2006, 12:43 AM
It reads like you have a dead toenail which is different from the black toenails that are sometimes described.

Yes, you can have black toe nails without fungal infection. Just from banging your toes against the top front of the shoes (which happens a lot while playing tennis), you can "shock and awe" the toe nail to death. The toe usually bleeds from underneath the nail, and the black color comes from the dried blood. The nail usually falls off in a couple of months.

Andres
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Yes, you can have black toe nails without fungal infection. Just from banging your toes against the top front of the shoes (which happens a lot while playing tennis), you can "shock and awe" the toe nail to death. The toe usually bleeds from underneath the nail, and the black color comes from the dried blood. The nail usually falls off in a couple of months.

Happened to me at least 22 times in the last 3 years (I wear a size 14 shoe, and all my toes are longer than my "thumb toe", so they got really hurt against the shoe...)

Not extremeley fun, let me say, but i got used to it... :rolleyes:

nViATi
01-06-2006, 05:50 PM
It's best to let it go away naturally.

ouchieelbow
01-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I constantly get these on one of my toes. After a few weeks, if it lifts up with no problems, I tear it off.. It doesnt bleed or anything. I just hate looking at it, so off it goes!