PDA

View Full Version : Breakpoint, about your PS 6.0 95s

Ash Doyle
01-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Breakpoint, I would have emailed you about this but you have that option disabled. How many ProStaff 6.0 95's do you own, and have you ever weighed each of them.

I have a ProStaff 6.0 95 that I bought back in '93 or so, and for a backup I have a PS 6.0 95 that I bought about two years ago. For a long time I favored the old one, and rarely used the newer one because the feel was so different. Finally, this past month I bought a scale and decided I was going to match the new racquet to older one. On both racquets I had removed the leather grip and replaced it with a Prince DuraTac grip. I weighed each racquet with a tournagrip and vibration dampener added and found the old PS to be 12.2 ounces and 7 points headlight. The newer PS was 11.9 ounces and 10 points headlight. Using lead tape I was able to get the newer one to 11.9 ounces and 7 points headlight. They don't feel completely identical, but they are much closer in feel now, and I actually use the newer one some now.

I'd like to get a third before the tournament season starts, but I'm curious about how much the specs vary with this model or if it's just a case of, instead of variance, that the older model was just made to a different spec.

BreakPoint
01-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Ash,
I used to have six that were strung and that I rotated (I also had four extras that were brand new, never used in my closet). Out of the six, only one weighed different enough from the other five to make any difference in playability. That one weighed about 12.3 oz. strung with dampener and overgrip. The other five all weighed 12.5 oz. strung with dampener and overgrip. All had their original leather grips. I'm not sure what the balances were because I never measured them but they all felt similar, i.e., very headlight, so I would guess about 9-11 pts. HL.

The lighter one was actually the oldest one, since the graphics inside the bottom of the hoop was slightly different. I believe that one was probably vintage around '96. BTW, I thought the PS 6.0 95 was introduced in 1994 when production of PS 6.0 85's was moved to China. Are you sure you bought yours in 1993? Is it made in China or Taiwan?

Two others were probably vintage '98. One vintage '00. One vintage '03. And the last one vintage '04.

Wilson is notorious for having terrible quality control, so I'm not sure if the oldest one was lighter because they changed something in the production or if it was just bad QC, but I don't think they purposely changed the specs on this racquet AFAIK. (I've also owned nSix-One Tours that were 0.4 oz. apart in weight.) But like I said, my other five all seemed to weigh 12.5 oz. stock with only small "O" dampener and overgrip, so I don't think they changed the specs, at least in the last seven years or so.

Hope this helps.

Ash Doyle
01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks, BreakPoint. I don't remember exactly when I bought the first one, I just knew it was around '92-'94, so I guess it was '94 if that was when they started making them. I graduated High School in '91, and I thought I bought that one two years after graduating, but I guess it was later than that.

Both are Chinese made. The only difference I see between the two are the older one is labeled "Pro Staff", and not "Pro Staff 6.0"; and the older has a white buttcap. The older one is heavier, less headlight, and much more solid feeling. With lead tape I have the racquets having equal weight and balance, but the newer one just doesn't feel as solid as the older one.

BreakPoint
01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Ash,
It's also possible that I was off regarding the year the PS 6.0 95 was introduced. I thought it was '94, but it's possible that it was '93. I do know that it was only introduced after production of the PS 6.0 85 was moved from Taiwan to China, so all PS 6.0 95 are made in China. I thought the move from Taiwan to China was in '94, but I guess it's possible it was in '93. Someone would have to verify that. (Production was moved from St. Vincent to Taiwan in '91, I do know that for sure.)

Yes, since your older one only says "ProStaff", it was an early production frame. I think around '95, they added the "6.0" designation. BTW, does your older one say "Midplus" or "95 SQ. IN." at 5 and 7 o'clock on the inside of the hoop? The only I had that was vintage '95 or '96 said "ProStaff 6.0" but "95 SQ. IN.", instead of the current "Midplus" inside the hoop.

Ash Doyle
01-05-2006, 02:45 AM
The older one says "95 SQ. IN.", and the newer one "MIDPLUS". I didn't even notice that difference before.

kreative
01-05-2006, 09:38 AM
according to the tw review on the 6.0 95, it was introduced in 1994.

BreakPoint
01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
according to the tw review on the 6.0 95, it was introduced in 1994.

Thanks. I thought I was right about that, as 1994 has stuck in my head. :D