PDA

View Full Version : 5G Users.. Flex?

SteveI
01-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi,

Have seen the flex of the 5G reported about 4 different times ..low being 62 and high being 67. I have played this frame in the pre 2001 version and the newer version. Feels like a 65 to me. Anyone feel that the frame plays close to 67..?? which BTW is quite a large differance from 62. I know TW measures a number of frames and reports the average. Anyone out there have their frames tested on the Bab Machine? Did the Pre 2001 version play stiffer or more flexy than the newer one or do they seem to play the same regarding flex? Also.. if anyone would care to share their string set-ups that would be great.

Regards,
Steve

Ed Lee
01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I had both pre and post 2001 5g's. Both were strung with NRG2-17 at mid tension. I added lead at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and head tape around the hoop between 3 and 9. until each racquet weighted 12.5 oz and had a balance of 4-5pts HL. The racquets hit differently. Regardless of the stiffness spec.,the older version felt softer with less power. The newer model resulted in some elbow pain. I was very surprised at this result. I contact PK about this. I thought that there may have been something wrong with my new racquet. The customer representative from PK stated that only the paint job was changed. I believe in the marketing literature, it stated that the newer model had a bit more pop. I could not deal with the racquets feeling so different that I traded away the newer model. I eventually switched to Volkl, and I am quite content with this decision.

I hope this helps a little.

Ed

SteveI
01-08-2006, 03:29 AM
I had both pre and post 2001 5g's. Both were strung with NRG2-17 at mid tension. I added lead at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and head tape around the hoop between 3 and 9. until each racquet weighted 12.5 oz and had a balance of 4-5pts HL. The racquets hit differently. Regardless of the stiffness spec.,the older version felt softer with less power. The newer model resulted in some elbow pain. I was very surprised at this result. I contact PK about this. I thought that there may have been something wrong with my new racquet. The customer representative from PK stated that only the paint job was changed. I believe in the marketing literature, it stated that the newer model had a bit more pop. I could not deal with the racquets feeling so different that I traded away the newer model. I eventually switched to Volkl, and I am quite content with this decision.

I hope this helps a little.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the insight. The construction also seems better on the older model and folks have reported some breaking/cracking problems with the newer model. As far as "The newer model resulted in some elbow pain", the older model seems to have more "beads" and they seem to be located more in the handle than with the newer model. The beads in the newer model seem to be concentrated nearer to the throat... ??? All and all I remember the older model having less power than the newer model... could this be something I am just feeling???

Thanks Ed!

Steve

netman
01-08-2006, 04:50 AM
I carry a new version 5g in my bag for those days when my shoulder or elbow get a bit cranky. 65 sounds about right for flex. Its definitely softer than the MaxPly McEnroe (68). Feels very similar to the Warrior OS (66).

Surprised about the elbow issue. The Kinetic frames are very elbow friendly. If you search on the 5g, you will see plenty of posts that agree the 5g is a wonderful all-court racquet, probably one of the best all-around frames on the market. Not great at any one thing, just very good at all aspects of the game.

-k-

Ed Lee
01-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Steve,

Good point.....I agree with you on the beads. I myself questioned whether or not there was something wrong with the newer version as there appeared to be fewer beads associated with it. I inquired with customer service at Pro Kennex. They essentially blew me off.

Ed

North
01-08-2006, 09:08 AM
I only have the newer 5G. Definitely does not feel like 67 flex. It feelsflexier - more like about 64-65, at most. I used to use Wilson NXT but the racquet felt like mush after the strings lost tension, in about an hour or so - lol. Now I use Klip Excellerator at 60lbs and get a lot of pop, but still arm-friendly, and the tension holds well. I have strung it as low as 58 with good results because it is a little high-powered; I'm still working on getting optimum string tension but it seems to be at the lower end of the spectrum. Gotta agree with netman - the 5G is not great at any one thing but is very good at everything.

SteveI
01-08-2006, 01:59 PM
I carry a new version 5g in my bag for those days when my shoulder or elbow get a bit cranky. 65 sounds about right for flex. Its definitely softer than the MaxPly McEnroe (68). Feels very similar to the Warrior OS (66).

Surprised about the elbow issue. The Kinetic frames are very elbow friendly. If you search on the 5g, you will see plenty of posts that agree the 5g is a wonderful all-court racquet, probably one of the best all-around frames on the market. Not great at any one thing, just very good at all aspects of the game.

-k-

Hi,

The 5G is a great all around frame that does fit the game of a wide range of players and has great arm saving properties. I have heard from at least three players here that the older version plays a bit softer and generates less power than its newer brother. I have had the new version out a few times and comparing it to my memory of the older model, the new model seems to be "suped up". Since I own both now, I will play test both with new strings at the same tension and decide. Ed Lee posted his findings below and noted quite a differance. Thanks for all the great insights.. if there are anymore please feel free to add them to this informative post.

Regards,
Steve

127 mph
01-08-2006, 10:08 PM
A question to ask might be how many times has the pre 2001 racket been strung. I read in tennis magazine that rackets can start to fatigue after 10 restingings. That might help explain that the newer version feels more powerful. Just something to consider.

Ed Lee
01-09-2006, 05:22 AM
When I compared the performance of the pre and post 2001 5g's, the older model had been strung only 2 or 3 times, and the newer model once.

jumbodaddy
01-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Ed Lee: Am curious . . . which Volkl did you switch to?

SteveI
01-09-2006, 11:36 AM
When I compared the performance of the pre and post 2001 5g's, the older model had been strung only 2 or 3 times, and the newer model once.

Ed,

Thanks for the update. I will try to report my findings when I do the testing. Have a great day!

Steve

Ed Lee
01-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Steve,

I would definitely be interested in the result of your experiment.

Jumbodaddy, I had to find an arm-friendly racquet after I sold my new 5g. After some research, I opted for the C10 Classic. I added lead to adjust the weight and balance similar to my old 5g. IMHO, the shaft seems a bit stiffer than my older 5g, but the head is very flexible. For me, it is a very comfortable racquet with a little more power than the 5g, particularly on the serve.

Ed

cbegap
01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
I have never used the older 5g but I have used the newer one for over a year now. Here are some of my thoughts. First off there have been several posts that I can remember about how if you paint the same racquet with different paint, they will feel and play differently. I have no proof on this one way or another, so you decide. Secondly, I had 2 of these racquets and one seemed to have something come loose in the handle so I sent it back not wanting to void any warrenty by tearing into it. I sent it back which was a little bit of a mistake because they are taking 6 -8 wks minimum to turn them around. Thank goodness I sent it back in the winter. Anyway, on my second racquet I wanted to make the grip shape more like a head, so I pulled the grip off and then for giggles I took off the butt cap. PKs handles aren't made like most I have seen. Most are a shaft with foam formed around it. PKs handle on my 5g is made out of the same material as the frame which makes it hollow inside, and also means they have to have a mold for each racquet, one for every grip size. When I pulled the buttcap off, the Kenetic portion is actually very small, about the size of my thumb up to the first knuckle and the bottom of it is the yellow circle you see when you look at the bottom of the handle. the buttcap actually holds it in place. As far as I could tell there wasn't any kenetic system in the throat, only in the top of the head (and handle as mentioned). I'm still a believer in the frame though, as my arm doesn't hurt anymore, but I was expecting something a little more spectacular like magic tennis-fairy dust or something.