PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye LM rad...hello Mfil-300

Surecatch
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I got one on the forums undemoed because I was unhappy with my LM rad during my last league schedule and wanted to make a change (or try something new). I got it strung with Gamma Challenger 16 at 58 lbs. and hit my first balls with it last night. My opponent canceled on me so my league director came up with a sub to play me. I am in the lower half of my 3.5 league and the sub they came up with was a member of the 4.0 traveling team. Neat...I thought it might get ugly.

I only played the best tennis I've ever played. I did end up going down 8-4 but I was thrilled with my performance and the Mfil-300 suits me far far better than the LM rad. The final game, we must have hit ten dueces....all out war.

1. I went to a bigger grip size (4 5/8) than I've ever used before. I like it...made for more stability apparently. The LM rad used to twist in my hand on off center hits. I'm not sure the Mfil-300 twisted on me even one single time...very stable racquet. I also had far fewer miss-hits than with the LM rad....balance issue?

2. Considerably more power when you reach for it. I could never get much power from the LM rad. When I reached back for a little more last night, it was there while not comprimising in control. I seemed to be able to hit wherever I wanted, as hard as I wanted.

3. Volleys (although I still lack in this area skill wise) found more touch than I ever got from the LM rad...the ball always seemed to die on me when I'd try a drop or soft volley. Not so with the Mfil-300...it did the ball exactly as I wanted it.

4. Serves just seemed to be there in a way they never were when I was rocking the LM rad. Perhaps it was the bigger grip, which seems to suit me much better. Great power and control on the serve...I only double faulted once and got so confident that I never really resorted to overly "safe" second serves.

Now yes, I've only played with the racquet for about 1.5 hours but the writing seems to be right there on the wall. At least for me, the Mfil-300 far outweighs the LM rad, so much so that I'm probably going to try to trade the rad for another Mfil-300 on these forums. The LM is not a bad racquet it just doesn't seem to suit me for whatever reason.

Mfil-300=the stick that is going to accompany me on my journey to fulfilling my destiny...a tennis championship.

tom-selleck
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
i was going to start another post on something like this.

i've read the review for LM Radical where two of the 5 (6?) reviewers actually changed to this racquet afterwards....

i can't really figure out why they love it so much... and also, i thought the bias amongst good players was towards heavy, very head-light racquets (and the LM radical doesn't qualify???)

funny, i was going to start something somewhat similar.

thejuice
01-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Would you tell us your playing style:

1HBH or 2HBH?
Spin master or flat bombs?
Your primary weapon (serve, forehand, backhand, etc)?

Surecatch
01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Would you tell us your playing style:

1HBH or 2HBH?
Spin master or flat bombs?
Your primary weapon (serve, forehand, backhand, etc)?

Sure. I'm 39 yo male. I'd say I'm definitely more of a baseliner...I haven't mastered or gotten confident with the volley game yet, even when the opportunity presents itself. I go for alot of side to side winners from the baseline and my groundstrokes are kind of between spin master and flat bombs. That is, I hit with spin but not "all out" I hold back for a little more control. I can and do hit hard though. I use a 2HBH and a 1HsliceBH but never a 1HBH for topspin. My serve is really coming on and I had so much confidence in it last night I was really able to go for it.

Thanks for asking. Again, I don't want to **** the LM but obviously not every racquet is for every player...it just didn't seem to fit me.

edit: Sorry about the censored word there...I used a word I wouldn't have thought offensive in any way (Sla and then the 7th letter of the alphabet). I only meant that I didn't mean to "talk down" about the LM.

thejuice
01-04-2006, 11:26 AM
That's weird, I've never heard that word used before so maybe it's a ******* thing because it doesn't seem offensive.

Edit:

TW is truly weird. The word I typed that was blotted out was "m i d w e s t". I was referring to the section of the country that Michigan is a part of not their competitor. I understand not wanting their competions' names added to a post but this is ridiculous.

Surecatch
01-04-2006, 11:33 AM
That's weird, I've never heard that word used before so maybe it's a ******* thing because it doesn't seem offensive.

I know...I don't know what else it could refer to but whatever.

Kevin T
01-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Surecatch,

Glad you're enjoying the frame so much. I had a hunch you might like it!! Hope you were rocking that red Dunlop hat, as well. Take care and keep up the good tennis.

Kevin

bluegrasser
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
The Dunlop 300 mfil is one of the most underated sticks IMO, better than the 300g, with more feel and pop.

backhand_finish
01-04-2006, 04:25 PM
the lm rad is not exactly that horrendous if you got a better grip size. in fact, with a little lead it's fantastic. and spin wise, it can be generate by good technique no?

Surecatch
01-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Surecatch,

Glad you're enjoying the frame so much. I had a hunch you might like it!! Hope you were rocking that red Dunlop hat, as well. Take care and keep up the good tennis.

Kevin

So far so good, thanks again man. The hat was a nice bonus. I didn't wear it last night but only because I wear it during the day. For now, it's my day hat as opposed to the sweatstained, gruby (but comfortable) hats I use when playing.