PDA

View Full Version : Interested in purchasing skis

roddick_rulz
01-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm now an intermediate skier and was thinking of purchasing skis. I have two questions. What makes skis good? And what companies make good skis?

North
01-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Most companies make good skis. The market is so competitive, they really can't afford to make clinkers. What makes a ski good depends on the kind of snow you mostly ski in (which will depend on what part of the country you ski in), how you ski (aggressive and ripping or smooth and controlled), whether you ski on or off piste, and if you plan to ski race or ski recreationally. Over the past ten years, skis have gotten shorter (that has kind of leveled out) and wider, but other than that all the factors I mentioned go into what makes a ski good for you. Because those factors (most of them) are not dependent on the skier, there is probably a lot less subjective in choosing skis than tennis racquets.

roddick_rulz
01-04-2006, 01:15 PM
i ski smooth and controlled and ski recreationally.

North
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
I forgot to mention that if you don't have a pair of boots you are totally satisfied with, to make that investment first while you demo lots of skis. I wound up going through 3 or 4 pairs of boots till I finally got my Technicas I'm happy with. If you're a recreational skier, you don't need fat boys (very wide powder skis) so you'd want a ski that's good on-piste/groomed slopes. I have a set of Atomic skis, Salomons, Head, and Volkls (you can get last year's phased out models at the end of a season or the beginning of a new season for sometimes half the price) and like them all. They are all good skis , though the Salomons and, especially the Volkls, have a wider waist and tend to float better in powder. One thing I've always liked about Atomic is that even their skis for beginners and intermediates are well-designed and stable without being too hard to get good turns out of - like high-performance skis for intermediate-perfomance skiers. That's just my experience - demo, demo,demo. If you ski icy East coast slopes, definitely also check out Volant - they are metal and help bite into the ice and crud for better control. They're OK in powder but, since they are heavier, I find them harder to manuever in powder. A lot of skis today come with the bindings. If you find a pair that doesn't, get the best bindngs you can afford. Good boots and good bindings can almost make more of a difference than the skis themselves if you are comparing 2 or 3 skis you like. Assuming you have good boots (priority #1), when you go to demo, tell them you want good carving skis for groomed slopes. You can also check out the ski manufacturers' web sites and the ski areas themselves for manufacturer demo days where they have lots of models. Also, demoing at the ski area let's you jettison the skis right away if you can tell they are not for you. Mainly you want stable turns that you don't have to muscle through in skis that don't chatter at the speed you like to ski. Have fun!

ktownva
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm now an intermediate skier and was thinking of purchasing skis. I have two questions. What makes skis good? And what companies make good skis?

A ski's ability to hold it's edge when carving sideways is one thing to look for. K2 and Volkl are good choices.

nuskool
01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Anyone can ski on a solomon and have fun they probably make the best for what you want right now. If you might improve more and turn into a more advanced skier go with a K2 recon or rossi z9. If you want to go with some freestyle and some groomed or powder run go with the K2 publc enemy. Boots are important I think the best boot as for price to preformance is the head edge boot it is comfortable but has a very good performance value is comfortable doing freestyle, mougles, going "out of bounds", and when going fast.