PDA

View Full Version : Donnay's Racquets, is it a player's racquet?

HT
02-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Anyone ever played with on of these Donnay racquets?

DONNAY ACADEMY PRO OS

DONNAY PRO CYNETIC 2 MID+

DONNAY PRO CYNETIC 4 MID+

DONNAY MAGNUM FORCE 320 MID+

DONNAY FORMULA PRO MID+

I emailed tennismenance.com to inquire about the Pro Cynetic to see if it's similar to the ProStaff 6.0 Original. But they told me that it's a wide body racquet. Is this true? TA sell a similar model and it doesn't look like it's a wide body. Any expert on Donnas please give your expertise!

@wright
02-28-2004, 05:46 AM
If I were you, I'd email them back and get the specifications for all those racquets so you'll have a better idea of what type of bat they are.

Kevin T
02-28-2004, 07:32 AM
Not sure about the Magnum or Cynetic 2 but the Pro Cyn 4, Formula Pro and Academy Pro would be considered player's frames, though I don't know their specs off the top of my head. If I remember correctly the Formula is a semi-widebody, no more than 25-27mm in width but weight on it and the Academy and Cyn 4 are 12oz or more. DO NOT DEAL WITH TENNIS ******!!!!!! Very overpriced older racquets, terrible customer service. About 5 years ago they sent me 2 Donnay Pro Ones, one of which was a full inch longer than the other. They tried to tell me that was acceptable by industry standards. I laughed, threatened to call the Better Business Bur. and they refunded my money, minus cost of the strings, which they wouldn't budge on. BBB never really came through for me-big surprise. Stick with TW or try and find some used Donnays on ****.

HT
02-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Kevin, Thanks for the warning. I'll take you advice with your past experience with them. TW sells Pro Cyn that weighs 13 oz and the comments said it played like the ProStaff 6.0, which is what I play with right now with the addition of lead tape on the inner frame to make it 13 oz. Did you ever got a chance to try out any Donnay's racquets?

Kevin T
02-28-2004, 11:19 AM
HT,

The Pro Cynetics they carry are very different from the classic Donnay TW carries. Donnay introduced four Pro Cyn models in the late 80's, Pro Cynetic 1 through Pro Cyn 4. The higher the number, the more flexible and control oriented the frame. A couple of the frames had 14x18 pattern and I believe the other 2 were 16x18. The 1 and 2 had a crossbar a la Prince OG. The 1 and 2 were also lighter than the 3 and 4. The Pro Cyn 2 was either black/blue or purple/blue and the Cyn 4 was green/black. The Pro Cyn 4 actually reminded me of the Pro 1 International, kind of a more flexy version of the Pro 1. I used the midplus Pro One for a time and also tried the Rusedski Pro, which was a little too powerful for me. The Donnay TW carries has received nothing but rave reviews, with the exception of them having brittle grommets. Wish Donnay would fire Rusedski and re-enter the tennis market-really loved their frames in the late 80's/early 90's. Hope this helps.

HT
02-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks Kevin, I don't know how you were able to get these information. I look all over the web, but didn't find anything except for a few photos. One last question. TW Donnay pro cynetic has a one point head light balance. Can you educate me on these point system about the balance of racquets?

Kevin T
02-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Glad to help, HT. I demoed these frames back in the late 80's and can remember the Tennis Mag racquet review edition when they were all featured. Unfortunately, Donnay pulled out of the market before the internet age, so it's hard to find any info at all on old Donnay frames. Can't help with the balance stuff. I'm not a techie when it comes to racquets. If they feel too headlight, I'll add lead tape until it feels right. Never really measured balance and weight on my frames. If you post a new title asking for help on determining balance, one of our fine fellow posters could answer. How are the waves in Hawaii right now? Perfect, I'm sure. It has been a very flat (even flat for the east coast) winter here in SC. Take care.

127 mph
03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I played with a Donnay Formula Pro back in 1990. I loved the colors, I also purchased and still have the matching tennis bag. I found the racket to be to powerful for my game but then again I did not find the widebody revolution to aid my game at all. Though iI broke this racket when I was a teenager I sometime's think about purchasing another. Oh well.

From Tennis
March 1990

Donnay Formula Pro $200

Hitting area: 97sq in. Weight 12 1/4 oz.
Maneuverability 4.0 Stiffness 3.8
Shock dampening 4.1 Ball control 4.3
Rcmd tension 58-66 lbs
Balance 3/8-in H.L
Main/Cross strings 18/20
Materials Graphite, Fiberglass composite

Donnay's Formula Pro is the wide body version of Andre Agassi's conventional-width Pro One racquet
Its contoured beam provides a firm head and flexable shaft that gives adequate cushioning and moderate, yet predictable, power.
The dense string pattern and stiff head create a flat ball response at the mid-tension rang. To improve power, spin potential and comfort, string at the lower end of the recommended tension range with a thin string.
Due to its heft, this model is best suited for baseline players with strong, established strokes.
The racquet features an extra-long leather grip for two-fisted players.

Perfomance ratings
Recreational 5
Good 6
Expert 7

Tip 25 mm
Throat 25 mm
Just above handle 18 mm

(the top stuff is out of 5)
performance ratings are out of 10

I have more reviews but I must locate my old issues. Let me know of any Donnay's out there.

HT
03-02-2004, 04:56 PM
127, TW is selling the Donnay pro cynetic. The specs look pretty heafty; 13oz 85sq inches and low power. Wonder of it plays better that my Prostaff 6.0 original 85.

donjefe
04-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I have a Donnay Formula Pro that I have been using for years, and I would never have switched if the grommets had not dry-rotted.

Speeking of which, anyone know where I might find a set of grommets for such an old racquet?

Thanks

yip kok kuin
06-16-2005, 09:33 PM
I just pick up a pro cynetic 4. it says braided graphite kelvar. thin almost box-like 16mm beam. Has a hole at the butt where one can screw some weight into it.Definitely not widebody!.

yip kok kuin
06-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Just finished 2 games with it. If this is the most xpensive of these lots then a little strange. Usually for all other brands that I know of be it Head, Wilson Yonex, the cheaper ones are more flexible. No4 is definitely fexible. More so than the prostaff 6.0. More like the cheaper wilson pws type like advantage, graphite etc etc. Very Nice control at backcourt. Strange stick for volley (maybe it is the ball because I am using the hardcore superfast Tetron). Deadly for serve (also due to the ball(?)). All kinds of serves. Balance mechanism is a little faulty so didn't try to stuff more weight in the butt. As it is, it is a very heavy stick.

proracketeer
08-26-2008, 05:09 AM
I just pick up a pro cynetic 4. it says braided graphite kelvar. thin almost box-like 16mm beam. Has a hole at the butt where one can screw some weight into it.Definitely not widebody!.

Can you please share your Donnay Code?

Donnay Code Book (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2644851)