PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the HeadLiquidMetal Instinct

slice backhand
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I recently demoed one if these and was interested in your opinions of this racquet before I buy one. I liked the way it felt, not too heavy, not too light.

SteveI
01-05-2006, 04:20 AM
I recently demoed one if these and was interested in your opinions of this racquet before I buy one. I liked the way it felt, not too heavy, not too light.

Hi,

Was very impressed with this frame off the ground. If your are flat hitter you will love this frame. It has a tight string pattern and is somewhat harder to generate spin with this frame. I felt it was a decent frame at the net.. but not the best.. has sort of a high SW for a a lighter frame and feels more even balanced than HL. Serves were easy to place.. but lack of spin was a problem for me as was an overall lack of power on serves. I loved the frame for hitting sessions.. just did not peform very well in matches with it.
Hope this helps.

Steve

rich s
01-05-2006, 04:32 AM
I demoed it a while back. I too liked it for ground strokes and at the net but I didn't like it much for serving and I didn't like the overall feel of it.

I am more accustomed (SP??) to and prefer the Head feel of the Radicals, PT280 and Prestiges -- I didn't think the Instinct had that solid feel that these racquets have - it felt too hollow to me.

my $.02
rich

BTW - if you like the Instinct, what others think of it shouldn't matter to you or affect your decision :)

Richie Rich
01-05-2006, 06:02 AM
if you want better spin try the LM Instinct Tour. it's got a more open string pattern and is also 1/2 inch longer and is a really good serving stick. a little lead at 3/9 (between the liquid metal at 10/2) and you have a real solid racquet.

SteveI
01-05-2006, 07:44 AM
if you want better spin try the LM Instinct Tour. it's got a more open string pattern and is also 1/2 inch longer and is a really good serving stick. a little lead at 3/9 (between the liquid metal at 10/2) and you have a real solid racquet.

RR,

Demoed that one also: I found that the 16 x 19 "Open Pattern" was not really" all that open, so spin was not really that much enhanced. The 336 SW number was just too high for my game and my strokes do not mess very well with 27.5 inch frames. Of course.. this is me we are talking about.

Regards,
Steve

Richie Rich
01-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Steve I - yes, it has that "dense in the middle open at the sides and top 16x19 pattern" so not as open as one might think.

babar
01-05-2006, 10:50 AM
I have a LM Instinct strung at 55lbs with Wilson Reaction 16g. I also have a heat sleeve on the handle to increase weight and make it more HL. I really like the way it plays off the ground also. I also don't have much luck in terms on the big bomb off the serve, but I think that is me, not the racquet. However, I don't have any trouble hitting with topspin or slice though. I used to play with the LM Prestige, but y shoulder needed a break. The comfort of the Instinct is superb, I think.

SteveI
01-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a LM Instinct strung at 55lbs with Wilson Reaction 16g. I also have a heat sleeve on the handle to increase weight and make it more HL. I really like the way it plays off the ground also. I also don't have much luck in terms on the big bomb off the serve, but I think that is me, not the racquet. However, I don't have any trouble hitting with topspin or slice though. I used to play with the LM Prestige, but y shoulder needed a break. The comfort of the Instinct is superb, I think.

Yes.. the main serve I could not hit well with this frame was the big bomb.. all others were excellent.

Regards,
Steve

counterpuncher
01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Have to agree with the Tour XL recommendation but the high sw killed me as well.

Depending on how game you are, you can shorten it as I did for a friend of mine, initially to 27.25 and then to 27. In both instances I felt it was a better racquet because of the addional weight and hl balance in terms of serve and groundstrokes.

The sw came down dramatically and was around 320 by the time it was down to a standard length of 27.

KickServer
01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
The LM Instinct strung even strung with a low power string at high tension was still quite powerful compared to other racquets I'm used to. Spin potential was not all that great. I had a hard time keeping my balls inside.

ChicagoJack
01-06-2006, 08:40 AM
RichS, SteveI, and RichieRich seem to have this frame pretty well described. I noticed in the famously long "show photos of your tennis gear[s]" thread, lots of people seem to own these frames, but somehow they never quite make it off the practice squad. If you look at the specs alone they appear designed to appeal to a wide range of intermediate to advanced players. If you look to the pro tour they are used by both wta AND atp players. I'm generally not swayed by what the pros are using, as I think that is a poor indicator of what the avrage joe should be using. However, seeing Gasquet hit BH winners from 12 feet behind the baseline does leave an impression, I must sheepishly admit. He's clearly dripping with talent, but it does make you wonder about what is possible with thicker beamed frames too. I'm not a paint job sleuth, but I do know it's a thick frame he's got there, pj or no pj. I bought one as a tinker project, thinking it would be a good platform for leading and string tweaks. But I never quite made it work for me somehow, have a hunch I'm not alone in this regard.

The Instinct is probably dearly loved by those that actually use them, but I just can't quite put my finger on why they do not capture a larger audience both here at TW and the larger tennis community as well, as it seems (to me anyway) like they ought to.

Just my humble opinion
-Jack